I am so bloody cross with myself...

nixy

I could cry! Manoevering my car around the corner of the house last night in the dark (see pics) and got myself a bit close to the wall going round the corner. Checking my mirror constantly although in the dark! Heard an awful scraping noise and realised - yes it looked as if I'd cleared it but I'd forgotten how wide the wheel arches are and caught it on the corner! I'm gutted. There's a small crease and a scuff (the bright mark in the pic is just the light). Can't believe I did it! It now matches the biggest stone chip on earth that you can also see in the same pic! - any ideas how much it will cost to sort out, bearing in mind I have NO MONEY!

Photo-0245-1.jpg

Photo-0244-1.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, don't panic. It's repairable.

I would clean the car and then look to see how much will polish out. From the look of it most of it is a surface scratch. Then (if I've got where it is right) someone from Dent Tec should be able to puch the crease put for no more than about £35.

If it has gone into the primer in places then just wait until you can have a decent repair done. It'll stick out if you try and rush it. :)

its easy done nixy :headhurt: i agree with rob but for now give it a quick wash and get some polish/wax on the area, it doesnt take long for rust to take hold with all the salt on the road

dent master should be able to push that out and a bit of po85 to cut the scuff out

I recon most of that will clean up and you will just have to get the ding knocked out.

If I were you I could go get some foam pipe lagging and attach it to the wall - then you get a bit of warning as if you see it pop off you know your too close.

good idea :thumbs:

Have to agree with others comments, a clean and a polish with something like Auto Glym super resin (mild cut) will remove most if not all of the surface scratchs.

Then removing the dent is something you can do or not at a later date, all cars have dents, id be tempted to not worry about it myself!

well you lot were right. the scuff has come out with some AG paint renovator followed by SRP. I'm just left with the 2 inch dent now. It's really noticeable so I'll get it sorted some time after xmas and maybe try to get the crater sized stone chip done at the same time!

Is that on the rear wheel arch. If so aren't those kind of double layered meaning that the usual Dent Tec guys can't actually get to the dent from the inside? I had a trolley ding right on the rear wheelarch and was tolf that it was impossible to get to from the inside.....:blush:

Nixy, if it makes you feel any better, Ive driven into our garage with BOTH Z's we have owned, and Ive also done exactly the same thing as you with our Altea when putting that in the garage.

Scraped the rear arch of that and its made a bit of a mess of it. :blush:

Did you get that same pondering sensation after the crunch - will it be worse if I keep on going, or reversbe back out of the situation.

I chose to keep on going. :blush:

Good to see it's not a major, had me worried when I saw the title of the thread. :scare: Annoying none the less.

If I were you I could go get some foam pipe lagging and attach it to the wall - then you get a bit of warning as if you see it pop off you know your too close.

That's a good idea. :) People have that sort of setup in their narrow garages too to protect the edges of their doors. :thumbs:

Did you get that same pondering sensation after the crunch - will it be worse if I keep on going, or reversbe back out of the situation.

I chose to keep on going. :blush:

Oh yes, sounds very familiar :headhurt:

I scraped my Cooper S against the corner of our house, just not paying attention that one time I guess, and oh my did I feel stupid! Was gutting. Glad to hear it's not as bad as you first thought Nixy :thumbs: