Car not starting - ECU gone?

seasider

Hi,

My 350z would not start this morning. It turns over but just does not seem to spark or fire. I have had the AA out and they think the ECU has gone as an internal error code is being reported by the engine and everything obvious like power to the ECU, power in the battery, fuses etc seem ok.

Great news before Christmas if this is the case.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? Also does anyone know what it costs to replace an ECU in a 350? I am bracing myself for it being expensive.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first thing i would try is an ecu reset (can be found in the guides section)

fuel pump failure would give the same symptoms

fuel filter blocked would give the same symptoms

immobiliser that cuts the fuel would give the same symptoms

could be the crank position sensor dead

i wouldnt go and buy an ecu yet

Yeah he plugged in and scanned for OBD codes. The code was 'P0605 Internal Control Module ROM Error'. Which from what I can find is ECM/ECU related. He did a reset on the unit a couple of times and re-tried to start it and kept getting the same code.

I guess the Nissan dealer may be able to take it another step further.

I have just tried the manual reset myself whilst waiting for the pick up lorry and got all the right flashing lights but aftet the reset it is still doing the same and not starting.

It gets so close to starting it is almost unbearable. It really is the last part of the ignition sequence that is not happening which I guess is where the ECU comes in.

In the light of what Alex has advised and you feel stuck with the Nissan garage, I would insist on being present while they make the swop to see (i) that it a new ECU that is fitted and it does effect a cure, and (ii) you ask to see the subsequent factory tests of your 'dead' unit, to be sure you haven't paid for something that was not necessary. ;)

In the light of what Alex has advised and you feel stuck with the Nissan garage, I would insist on being present while they make the swop to see (i) that it a new ECU that is fitted and it does effect a cure, and (ii) you ask to see the subsequent factory tests of your 'dead' unit, to be sure you haven't paid for something that was not necessary. ;)

Good shout Colin.

It wont be the first or the last time that an ecu has been replaced only to find that it did not effect a cure and on further investigation another fault was found.

And DO NOT be fobbed off with " but Sir it is a process of elimination"

Easier said than done. I have a car that I cannot move stuck in the Nissan garage. To get in towed for another opinion is going to cost £100+ just for the tow.

that's not worth a potential 1600 quid savings though?

I asked Nissan today (our local dealer which sells more Z's than just about anyone on the east coast of the US) - they have never once had to replace a Z ecu. That should tell you something

I am based in Manchester but cheers for the offer.

I am waiting on Nissan coming back with hopefully an offer of reduction as this should (a) not be happening after 4 years on any car and (B) not on a car serviced to the letter in one of their dealerships. A close relative also works for Nissan so we have a lot of the cars in the family so as valued customers for many years I would expect some goodwill and I will be taking it up in writing with Nissan directly should I need to.

As for guarantees for the work then I will not be paying anything for an ECU if it proves not to be the problem. The old one will be swiftly put back in. This will definately be explained to the dealer.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...sighs...good job I have already bought Christmas presents or christmas would be cancelled! :D