Pulled by the Rozzers......AGAIN!!!!

Lexx

Heading back from a relaxed lunch with my g/f this afternoon, and whilst on a dual carriageway heading back into hartlepool I noticed the front grill of a black Skoda Octavia VRs in my rear mirrors.

Drove the next 4-5 mile at the speed limit whilst he followed me rather closely.

Just as we entered Hartlepool, the flashy lights came on, and it was time for me to pull over.

said he'd pulled me as I was a little bit rapid off the rondabout, and also becasue of my number plate.

He didnt doa nything for the speeding, other than telling me to go easy on the right foot.

But Ive been given a fixed £30 fine, and told to get my front plate changed ASAP (its an import sized plate).

I was a little narked, but tbh he was a decent enough copper, and didnt make an issue outta anything (unlike that tosser a month ago who practicaly gave me an ASBO)

So Im gunna start a sweepstake on when I shall next be pulled over!

As long as you are displaying the legal font with characters 79mm high, then there is absolutely no legal reason why you cannot have an import style front plate ona UK car.

The Import front plates can have 64mm size letters if there is a functional reason for this (Import sized space in bumpers).

If your plate is import style with the standard sized font, then I think you have been given this ticket unfairly. As the rules are so wooly on number plates, its hardly surprising that the coppers get it wrong too.

Im sorry, but i hate traffic cops that have to earn money for the government like this. Do you think they're embarassed when dishing out these fixed penalties? I mean fair enough if you were speeding and he decided to stop you, but he must have had a walk round your car just itching to get you for something, and decided on the plate.

Jerk :dry:

I'm sure the main reason they are picking on plates that are not the 'norm' is to make sure their mobile laser cash machines continue to earn their keep :dry:

Probably true but as Marzman said most of them don't want to be doing that, it's not what they joined up for but it keeps Mr Brown's economy 'barely' ticking over :rant:

That sucks Lexx, lets hope the coppers down in Boro are a bit more lenient. Saying that he did sound like a decent one, for a change.

It was a boro copper!

The font is slightly smaller than standard. He even measured it.

Think I'll investigate this Halfrauds plate that steve_b mentioned.

Strange thing is, he spent 5 mins issueing the ticket, and 15 chatting about the car!

I think the plate looks ok. I got given the DVLA rules on plates from the coppers when I got pulled for VERY small front plate.

As long as the letter style, size, spacing and border are legal then that's fine as far as I read.

I'd look into it if I were you.

In fact - here you go buddie. http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Dont get me started on plates, on the way up to ESR to get my car done i got pulled by yorkshire police and couldnt belive it, i got threatened though with 3 points as well, :lol: . Funny thing is had that exact plate on a year and a half allmst, never been pulled for it till then. Now i have a import stlye plate on the rear and a smaller cut down plate on the front :lol: , bring it on :surrender::lol:

You're actually better off with no plate stuck on at all and using the excuse of "It must've fallen off officer", as the penalties are much less severe. Tbh, if you know you've got an illegal plate then you can hardly complain when you get pulled up on it.

I've always viewed number plates as something extraordinarily ugly that blight the front and rear of every car, but since everyone has to have them there's no point in complaining or trying to get round it.