NEW BOY who wants to fit NOS? Will it hurt my car?

Now then guys, nice to meet you all !

I'm after some advice on fitting NOS to my beautiful grey Z. I know a guy who works in the industry and I have a quote for supply.

I wondered if I'll have to uprate any other parts of my engine when fitting, due to the increase in pressure on my internals? And do I have to drill the engine block or will it just piggy back onto my injector(s)?

Is it going to be safer to install a kick ass supercharger, or again due to the pressure increase will I have to change the manifold or gaskets etc?

Finally, if I am uprating engine power, do I need to change my exhaust system to increase flow?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Cheers,

Badger.

:welcome:

now I'm not an expert ... :lol:

it's generally acceted that you can run up to 400hp without changing conrods/pistons etc - the manifold and head gasket can handle more than the conrods! if fitting NOS I would say to start with 50hp boost and see how you get on - I wouldnt fit any NOS without a progressive controller

you dont really NEED to change the exhaust for a basic supercharger or NOS install but it will help

welcome :teeth:

NOS is good,

i'm fairly new to the car, but like other cars, rule of thumb is that when increasing power, you should budget for a new performance clutch, never assume that the original will cope with an extra 50BHP etc.

you may find it will be fine, but it will wear out quicker.

i maqy be wrong, so if someone with more knowledge on the car wants to correct me please do :thumbs:

good luck with the plans

Given that it seems you have no idea about how nitrous oxide injection actually works, or whether it's even right for you in terms of power, I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say that you should probably step away from the car and put the spanner back in the box.

Go and read (and digest!) the entire auto section of HowStuffWorks.com (which covers superchargers very well), then read up about how nitrous works in cars (Wikipedia is a good place to start I would imagine), then read a hell of a lot more on here about how much power the internals can take, then decide whether you want more power that way, then decide what kind of system you want. After you've done all that, you'll be in a much better place and will have a car you understand and can be proud of.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but your post does seem to indicate you've just watched the Fast And Furious trilogy back-to-back. ;)

as ekona said its horses for courses, and you need to work out which pony you want.

but a rough guideline is

turbo = boost to acceleration once pressure has built up (bigger the turbo the more the lag)

super charger = more progressive boost throughout the range but not as much as a turbo can give

NOS = can be done several ways as a sudden boost button to give a temporary kick, or a smaller progressive kick (when switched on it puts in less but over a longer period) i don't think you can run it permanently on a slow trickle, its a bit of all or nothing.

other option is to rework the engine, ECU, new internals port and polsih etc. will be completely NA but you'll need to spend alot of money to get the kind of power gains that super chargers and turbos give.

my advice is go to a couple of meets where people have cars already modded, get them to give you a passenger ride out, see what you like most. you may find that you would prefer something else.

my guess is you'll probably want to go turbo. it gives you that NOS style kick once the Turbo kicks in. you'll just need to work out how big a turbo you want? :headhurt:

other option is to rework the engine, ECU, new internals port and polsih etc. will be completely NA but you'll need to spend alot of money to get the kind of power gains that super chargers and turbos give.

:

ECU can't be reworked. A piggy back ECU is the option unless you have a very early JDM Z

Good responses guys.

I have looked into the superchargers/turbos and understand perfectly how they work, yet can't justify the cost at the mo as I've only had the car for five months, and my piggy bank is still recuperating!

I've tried several places to get a re-map but can't find anyone with the capabilities.

I have been told that an induction kit will make my car idle roughly.

And I have also been told that an exhaust system will bring a fault light up on the dash??

Any of these true?

I have had turbo cars before, the quickest being a 324bhp Evo, yet every time I 'had a go' it fell to bits, even though it was two years old.

I decided to opt for a sexy to look at but naturally aspirated car for the reliability, and he ho I bought my zed.

I hate cack like fast and the furious, don't modify my cars at all, and just want more power. (been on bikes since I was 14)

I enjoy learning new things and taking advice from people who have previous experience, also hoping that their mistakes can save me some money!!

From all your great responses I'm going to divulge as much info as I can regarding Nos, but dubious on where to get 'genuine' information as a lot of people bend the truth regarding power gains etc. I'm pretty satisfied with the acceleration and torque, but reckon a greater mid range punch would improve things (similar to when a turbo kicks in and gets on one).

Is there anyone on here who is using nos at the mo and had no problems as of yet?

I knew a lad who ran his Audi on it and ruined his engine (not sure what power or damage to what extent).

Thanks for all of your help, I'll get some more info and then fire some questions.

And finally I'm near Driffield.

Cheers, Badger.

Lets not presume that he will be doing the work himself but just asking a question so that he knows if a mechanic/nos installer knows what they are talking about and he has covered all aspects of what can go wrong.

If you want NOS, i would speak to wizards or nos as they are pretty good at what they know and will not blow your engine.

If you search for NOS on here, there are plenty of threads that gives out a lot of information on the subject.

Thankyouplease ;)

you cant remap the ecu - at least nowhere in UK can - you can get a piggyback ECU though eg UTEC/Haltech

induction kit shouldnt make for rough idle

exhaust system shouldnt light CEL - unless the o2 sensors are positioned wrongly

as I say - get a progressive controller if going NOS and it can be safely done

Good responses guys.

I have looked into the superchargers/turbos and understand perfectly how they work, yet can't justify the cost at the mo as I've only had the car for five months, and my piggy bank is still recuperating!

I've tried several places to get a re-map but can't find anyone with the capabilities.

I have been told that an induction kit will make my car idle roughly.

And I have also been told that an exhaust system will bring a fault light up on the dash??

Any of these true?

I have had turbo cars before, the quickest being a 324bhp Evo, yet every time I 'had a go' it fell to bits, even though it was two years old.

I decided to opt for a sexy to look at but naturally aspirated car for the reliability, and he ho I bought my zed.

I hate cack like fast and the furious, don't modify my cars at all, and just want more power. (been on bikes since I was 14)

I enjoy learning new things and taking advice from people who have previous experience, also hoping that their mistakes can save me some money!!

From all your great responses I'm going to divulge as much info as I can regarding Nos, but dubious on where to get 'genuine' information as a lot of people bend the truth regarding power gains etc. I'm pretty satisfied with the acceleration and torque, but reckon a greater mid range punch would improve things (similar to when a turbo kicks in and gets on one).

Is there anyone on here who is using nos at the mo and had no problems as of yet?

I knew a lad who ran his Audi on it and ruined his engine (not sure what power or damage to what extent).

Thanks for all of your help, I'll get some more info and then fire some questions.

And finally I'm near Driffield.

Cheers, Badger.

Personally I don't see the point of NOS unless you've got a seriously built motor used purely for track stuff. With that you can squirt it before the stupid-big turbo kicks in so minimising lag almost completely, so that makes sense. On a road car I see it as pointless as leaving it to squirt in one go gives you shove in a straight line (so on the motorway then) which is just daft, and having it add a bit all the time is just wasting money as you'll be refilling it all the time (depending on tank size, of course). If you want a solid 100BHP then go FI, if you want more then go FI + internals, if you want a bit more poke from a standard NA engine then get a new/piggyback ECU that'll give you what you want safer and cheaper.

All IMHO, of course. ;)

I'm not into straight line racing etc, give me bendy roads and I'm a happy camper. I just enjoy getting on some as I was into bikes way before cars, and like the speed.

If an ecu upgrade is going to make a very noticable difference and isn't going to cost a bomb, then I would be interested. Just want more power.

- so can you recommend a piggy back ecu please? What are the power gains with this method then?

I'll get flamed for this, but why not buy a faster car that is already manufactured to be faster than a 350z?

Unless you spend lots of money and do it properly, i wouldn't be confident that the car will be reliable and in the long run, you will spend more money in getting it fixed.

Just my opinion though.

I'll get flamed for this, but why not buy a faster car that is already manufactured to be faster than a 350z?

Unless you spend lots of money and do it properly, i wouldn't be confident that the car will be reliable and in the long run, you will spend more money in getting it fixed.

Just my opinion though.

+1 :blush:

Welcome to the forum Badger. :D

Because it wouldn't look like a Zed. ;):p

Fair comment. Im not saying that you shouldnt do it, i just personally would upgrade to something more powerful but could potentially be similar to the zeeee. i.e. AMV8 B)