Got caught speeding

Randomfry

Had a letter through today saying i have been caught doing 50 in a 40 in guildford. Although i wasn't spotted by a police officer so i'm being let off with a warning. Apparently it's some new scheme where volunteers hold the laser guns an send out warnings. Has anyone ever heard of this?

It's made me realise how easy it is to get caught speeding. A close call :scare:

Yup I saw this on the news too. I think its a good idea as it gives you a chance to change you ways. According to the piece I saw on the news, volunteers do the radar bit and then letters get sent out. If a hight percentage of people are speeding there and there is a reason to put a copper there, they can request it, so watch out or next time it might be a copper :headhurt:

Yep - know of this and seen them "in action" (hiding behind a wall with a laser gun) Like vigilantes. :dry:

An extract from a local rag:

"When they catch someone travelling at excessive speeds – and not 'only just' over the limit but a fair way over it – they send the licence number to the police, who send out a warning letter.

If it happens again they get a second letter but this time, and here's the clever part, they're told that if they are then caught speeding thereafter they will get prosecuted instantly and NOT just warned."

Unfortunately we can expect to be targeted as the individuals who offer themselves up for this 'work' will inevitably target cars they perceive as being 'dangerous '. Jealousy, prejudice are words that spring to mind in their motivation. :angry:

this happened by me last summer, got caught out 3 times in a week, eventually the guy with the laser just starting waving hello :lol:

never got a letter though :blush:

just drive up the kerb and run em over, you can claim you thought they had a gun !

in a nutshell " GET A LIFE !!!" :headhurt:

IF THEY WANT TO DO THIS OUTSIDE A SCHOOL ETC ...GREAT ! BUT THEY WERE ON A BEND IN A 40MPH ON A HILL ON A WIDE OPEN ROAD !!! FFS :rant:

this happened by me last summer, got caught out 3 times in a week, eventually the guy with the laser just starting waving hello :lol:

just drive up the kerb and run em over, you can claim you thought they had a gun !

IF THEY WANT TO DO THIS OUTSIDE A SCHOOL ETC ...GREAT ! BUT THEY WERE ON A BEND IN A 40MPH ON A HILL ON A WIDE OPEN ROAD !!! FFS :rant:

As has been said Paul therein lies the problem. People who volunteer for this are probably the worst people to do it. We have a very efficient "vetting" system in our village. they still have to live there ;)

As has been said Paul therein lies the problem. People who volunteer for this are probably the worst people to do it. We have a very efficient "vetting" system in our village. they still have to live there ;)

:lol::thumbs:;)

A friend of mine got fed up with people speeding on his street and he stood in his garden with a high vis jacket and hairdryer pointing it at cars. A bit sad but it did slow people down :lol:

I've been through some villages where they have built their own gatso look a like - most people slow down for it :)

I don't have an issue with people doing it in the right places (Outside schools, hospitals etc.) but it needs to be 'policed' or at least governed - traps such as lasers are not reliable over short distances/through obstructions etc. so its easy to get innacurate readings. If its a prosecutable offense there must be rights to appeal?