Open Spaces to Play

adncd

Why on earth would you want to? Seriously mate, take your Zed on track if you want to be able to have a laugh with it in relative safety and without the BiB disturbing you.

Donuts in car parks is for chavs in McDonalds. IMHO, obviously. ;)

To the OP, i know how you feel. I want to get to learn how the car feels when it starts slide and dont fancy a drifting day as there still on small ish tracks where you can spin and hit things! I did have access to a WW1 airstrip that was ok but the tarmac was badly broken in some places. Utill some one put a huge fence up! lol.....

yes not looking to be a chav in a car park. I want somewhere i can push the car to breaking point and beyond so i can get used to the feel of it and how to correct it. Driffting is not what im looking for as its a bit different than normal road driving. Also i dont think people on a track day would be too pleased if i drive round getting the back end out all over.

the weather is changing and it would be nice to get out somewhere for a 30 mins to an hour just try things. even if there is somewhere and i have to pay a small fee I would be happy for this.

Also i dont think people on a track day would be too pleased if i drive round getting the back end out all over.

Depends how you do it. I spend about half my time on track sideways and the other half neat and tidy. 99% of people on track do the same thing, just look at the Caterhams for proof ;)

If you're constantly spinning out and causing flags then you'll obviously get pulled on it, but the idea is to find your limits and then stick within them. The odd spin here or there is fine.

Also i dont think people on a track day would be too pleased if i drive round getting the back end out all over.

Depends how you do it. I spend about half my time on track sideways and the other half neat and tidy. 99% of people on track do the same thing, just look at the Caterhams for proof ;)

If you're constantly spinning out and causing flags then you'll obviously get pulled on it, but the idea is to find your limits and then stick within them. The odd spin here or there is fine.

Its sounds like all he wants to do is spin though :lol:

nope not realy, having not done a track day, i assumed that if your throwing the car around they would pull you off track pretty quickly, im not saying i dont expect this to happen immediatly, people do slide but did not think sliding all over the place would go down to well.

the only other thing with track days are the other cars, my impression of track days are that there tends to be a lot of cars, not to mention barriers and kerbs around. I personally would be happier having some idea as to what might happen and by how much, before i put a car on the track and have the potential to hit and be hit.

I think you're potentially confusing track days with racing. At a well organised, properly run track day (i.e. 99% of them) there is no risk to you or your car at all unless you're driving like a tit. On proper tracks there's obviously more to hit if you do leave your comfort zone (Armco, for instance) but on an airfield the only thing you're ever likely to hit is a cone, and that's really not going to cause you much damage at all.

I've never seen car-to-car contact on a track day and I doubt I ever will as the aggressor would be pulled off track as soon as they started driving dangerously. An S1 Elise lost a headlight hitting a cone once, but then that's not exactly a rare occurrence anyway! :lol:

Honestly mate, they're so much safer than donutting in a car park full of proper kerbs (you only get gradient kerbs on track) and lampposts and trolleys and things. Get yourself on an airfield day with one of the big companies (I tend to use BookaTrack, but have also been on Trackdays.co.uk and Javelin amongst others) and get a feel for just what you and your car can do.