Close call today, peeps!

Drexyl

I was coming out of "nearby city centre" this afternoon, heading home. I accelerated quite hard up the very long slip road onto the three lane carriageway at the top and seeing a clear road behind, pulled out into the third lane to overtake the rover drivers in front of me. I guees I must have just nudged over a ton, but once I got past sttled down to a more 'sensible' 90 or so. Behind me was a 5 series beemer estate that was intially left behind but soon made up ground. As he started to close the gap, I thought " oi oi, he wants to play", so I let him close in a little more, and just before I was about to drop down a cog or two, the f**ker put on his blue lights!!! :scare:

Needless to say, with my heart in my throat, I pulled over at the next layby to recieve my punishment. He invited me into his car and commented on what a nice car I had. I said that I suspect that wasn't the reason for stopping me, to which he said "no". He said that he's timed my distance between two points on the road and averaged me at 97.7mph which, he said would mean court and an automatic ban for being over 95.5 mph. Luckily, I was as humble as I could be, and apologetic, and he said that he would simply issue me with a fixed penalty. After checking through his folder, he discovered that he'd run out of tickets, and after a little chat/reprimand, he allowed me to go on my way (at a more moderate pace). I can't believe how lucky I was :blush: And, it's only fair of me to extend my gratitude to the officer in question for his leniance.

Shoulda bought a lottery ticket, bugger!

......only fair of me to extend my gratitude to the officer in question for his leniance.

You thought you'd got off lightly, but the grammar and spelling police have caught up with you. It's lenience!!!!! :p

Seriously, though, well done. It's not often you have good fortune like that on the roads these days. A bit of humility paid off, it seems.

Hmmmm, calculated speed between two points using what exactly?????

Think they wanted you to admit something...... Lucky none the less.

I NEVER boot it when a car approaches. I always let it past to see whos in it etc....

I had an RX8 trying to race me the other day after I'd overtaken. I was on my bike. Let him past and laughed at him for trying. It could easily have been an unmarked 5 series racing up behind me.....

Think they wanted you to admit something...... Lucky none the less.

I NEVER boot it when a car approaches. I always let it past to see whos in it etc....

I had an RX8 trying to race me the other day after I'd overtaken. I was on my bike. Let him past and laughed at him for trying. It could easily have been an unmarked 5 series racing up behind me.....

He kept pointing to a LCD display thing on his dashboard. Said that he'd timed me between two bridges that were exactly half a mile apart. I'm guessing it was some kind of stopwatch that could then calculate speed.

I know what you mean with the bike though. Whenever I'm riding, I'm always looking for the telltale signs on the cars in front of me, y'know twin rearview mirrors, more than one ariel, missing garage stickers in the rear window, etc. You get to know the signs and ride accordingly, but this was different, just looked like any other rep-mobile. But I'm not sure that the police use RX8's though, do they?

None the less, I had a very, VERY lucky break, fortune most certainly shone on me yesterday :blush:

I was on the bike and didn't make it out as an RX8 until it was much closer. Lights were blaring distorting it's shape. Anyway, anyone that races up behind you at 90 odd isn't worth looking at!

I reckon you were very lucky. You have to wonder how the hell they can have no tickets though. Sounds a bit incompetent to me! Like showing up at the airport with no passport! :lol:

I was on the bike and didn't make it out as an RX8 until it was much closer. Lights were blaring distorting it's shape. Anyway, anyone that races up behind you at 90 odd isn't worth looking at!

I reckon you were very lucky. You have to wonder how the hell they can have no tickets though. Sounds a bit incompetent to me! Like showing up at the airport with no passport! :lol:

NO NO NO!!! Don't say that! he wasn't incompetent, at all, very thorough and dutifull, in fact. What a nice man!!!

Glad to hear you got away with it, that's how it should be :teeth:

No it isn't? On what basis? You bozo**

** to provoke a response :teeth:

On the basis the speed limit hasn't changed in years and cars have got far better at braking etc, I don't think winding it up on a quiet by-pass/motorway is too much of a problem ;)

Glad to hear you got away with it, that's how it should be :teeth:

No it isn't? On what basis? You bozo**

** to provoke a response :teeth:

On the basis the speed limit hasn't changed in years and cars have got far better at braking etc, I don't think winding it up on a quiet by-pass/motorway is too much of a problem ;)

Hyur hyur, well said that man ;)

phew, lucky bugger! Bet your heart was in your mouth. I was once doing just under a ton in my type R, looked in the mirror and out of nowhere a T5 behind me lights flashing and siren on - i moved over to let it pull me in, heart pounding, and it just flew straight past and kept going! My lucky day! I've been a lot more careful ever since and like Stew said if anyone comes up behind me quickly I slow down and let them pass first.

I thought that was VASCAR,it works as follows, you pass a set point and they start a stopwatch, they pass the same point and start the distance measure, you pass the second point and they stop a stopwatch, they pass the second point and stop the distance counter (all this in the VASCAR unit - alternatively they can pre-input a distance and just start and stop the clock over the distance ) they now have time over a distance and VASCAR crunches out the speed.

I thought that was VASCAR,it works as follows, you pass a set point and they start a stopwatch, they pass the same point and start the distance measure, you pass the second point and they stop a stopwatch, they pass the second point and stop the distance counter (all this in the VASCAR unit - alternatively they can pre-input a distance and just start and stop the clock over the distance ) they now have time over a distance and VASCAR crunches out the speed.

I just wondered how this thing was operated. They see you pass a bridge or start???? see you pass and stop?????

Obviously parallax type errors and reaction times would make an impact. Just my suspicious mind in operation perhaps. If I was 2 mph over a ban limit and it hadn't been done with something very reliable I would be kicking and screaming all the way to court.....

I just wondered how this thing was operated. They see you pass a bridge or start???? see you pass and stop?????

Obviously parallax type errors and reaction times would make an impact. Just my suspicious mind in operation perhaps. If I was 2 mph over a ban limit and it hadn't been done with something very reliable I would be kicking and screaming all the way to court.....

I don't know the intricacies of it all, but I guess he followed me as I passed under one bridge, started his gadget and as I passed under the second bridge (exactly half a mile away), stopped it. The onboard compooper system unit then calculated the time, distance and speed according to Archimedes counter rabbit principle law of Pythagoram, this then alerted him to the fact that Iwas indeed going very, very fast!

I don't know the intricacies of it all, but I guess he followed me as I passed under one bridge, started his gadget and as I passed under the second bridge (exactly half a mile away), stopped it. The onboard compooper system unit then calculated the time, distance and speed according to Archimedes counter rabbit principle law of Pythagoram, this then alerted him to the fact that Iwas indeed going very, very fast!

They showed this on a past Traffic Cops programme. They are very highly trained in it, but there is some room for error. I would suspect that as you were close to the ban limit, but they couldnt prove it due to potential error in the system, and they didnt have a ticket, they let you go. As long as you werent driving dangerously, and they thought you had learnt your lesson, it most importantly saves them some paperwork.