Just Drove My Mates Zed Around Some Twistys & Straights

wutang200

Mate threw me the keys to his 2003 Zed GT to take for a spin and get a general feel as I have a few years of FR layout car experience. This is what I thought of it in my honest opinion and everyone has their opinions about different cars.

Pros:

Lovely looking inside out

Great handling out the box with plenty of grip

Plenty of feedback from back end

Sounds lovely when on song

Good amount of pace

Nice gearbox (sometimes notchy)

Cons:

Still felt heavy as expected when throwing it around

TC kept cutting in like a bugger

Some understeer when on the limit

Not as urgent as my 200SX :(

Needs a little more power

Subwoofer is crap sorry to say

Gonna post a few threads up in different sections later next week about turning off the TC as there's no button for it and also to replace the lame sounding sub for something similar in power but better performing.

Very nice car though but I'd only buy it if it were force induced using an SC or twin tubby setup.

The traction Control switch is bottom right of the steering wheel, next to the roof switch (in a roadster ). Not that I have enough talent to switch it off !!

Apart from that, even as a Zed owner/lover ( spiritual sense only before you mickey takers get to respond ), I think it should be better powered but this is due to the over-weight design. Making it lighter would obviously give better power to weight ( which is the ultimate measure IMO ) and improve handling no-end. I think the handling is pretty good but the back end likes to go light on floaty bends which is v.bad if your as average a driver as me.

I'm down for coilovers as soon as money allows.

Coilovers and upgraded Anti-Roll Bars sort out the weight, mine feels alot lighter now and no Understeer... And deffo no floatyness...

Your right about it needing a bit more power, a piggyback and a tune sort out some of the power and get it down in the right fashion... Turbos and SC can be a bit costly to install and keep up, so its quite a high £ to power ratio...

Oh and your right about the sub, I didnt have one before, now have a JL in the bose space and its at its lowest settings... Speakers need an upgrade, mine sound 100000 times better now!

Good view on the z mate, agree with a few of your opinions there.

Turn the tc off and throw it into the corner, that should sort out the understeer problem.

Yeah bit of a heavy clutch, but then again, you cant really compare an uprated aftermarket clutch to a standard factory one!

I like my RWD cars to oversteer a little as it makes the car feel more predictable instead of giving that electronics controlling the car feeling you get in Audi's and BMW's.

I'm surprised the standard clutch is that heavy as normally they're a little lighter. It feels meaty though just like the gear changes. No need for a short shifter as the throw is pretty short as standard and very acceptable.

It's a nice car but I don't think my stage 1 200 would have a problem leaving it behind with the mods I have.

Will also look out for this TC switch next time I drive it.

Maybe a tadge unfair to try and compare the two cars, if you made the same modifications to the z

S14 spec is:

Power & Cooling

Silkolene Pro S 10W 50 Engine Oil (Changed Every 6000 Miles)

Apexi Induction Kit

Apex Induction Box

Custom Cold Air Feed Pipe From Front Bumper

NGK BCPR7ES Spark Plugs

HKS Hi Power 409 3" Exhaust System

2.5" Downpipe & Decat Pipe

HD Stage 1 Chip

Hybrid Performance Front Mounted Intercooler

Sard Racing R2D2 Blow Off Valve

Varley Redtop Racing Battery

Walbro 255 L/PH Fuel Pump

HKS Actuator @ 14.5 psi

Apexi Turbo Timer

Hose Solutions SS Braided Oil & Water Turbo Feeds

Driftworks Magnetic Sump Plug

Brakes

Brembo 280mm 10 Groove Front & Rear Brake Discs

Goodridge Braided Brake Hoses

Castrol Response Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads

Mintex Extreme Rear Brake Pads

Handling

Apex Coilovers

Apex Front & Rear Upper Strut Braces

Whiteline Subframe Locking Polyurethane Bush Kit

Whiteline Front & Rear Anti Roll Bars & Polybushed Drop Links

Racelogic Traction Control

Racelogic Digital Adjuster with Launch Control

and then added a turbo unit the tables may be very much turned.

In saying that it is a tidy beast you've got B)

Thats's true mate. Maybe I was expecting too much from the Z. It's powerful enough for my mate anyway as it's his first sports car but I'll also be driving it occasionally.

The zed has a very smooth power delivery and quite often i've not realized the speed i'm doing and how quick i got there.

There seems to be a lot of people that have gone from a 200sx to a 350z. For me going from a stage 1 S14a to a 350z it felt like a big drop in performance, but I think the z is faster than it feels because the power delivery is so linear.

If only it was a few hundred kg lighter and the clutch wasn't so snappy!

i agree with you there xStric9x, you cant really compare your car to a standard one wutang200, and saying its ok for a first time sports car is cutting it a little close to the mustard, specially on a z forum. as in the past, the Z car isn't only about speed or handeling old mate, theres that touch of class and style to it. Its easier to pull the birds in a Z than an sx.

The other thing is that a stiffer clutch gives you greater power transfer, so you aren't loosing loads of power through the tranny. Maybe if you hit the gym a little more you may not find the clutch so stiff :lol:

Everyone is fooled by the Zeds linear power delivery. My mate has an Evo VIII and it "seems" a lot quicker than my Zed by the butt dyno due to the turbo spooling up and hitting you in the ass! When we get them side by side, there is very little in it. Plus as Kevo says, its much easier to get the birds in a Zed B)

i love my zed i have only had it 3 months and cant think of a car that even comes close for the price, especially styling wise and how rare they are. maybe the new tt but in a years time there will be millions of them just like the old shape. it is plenty powerful for me, but my only concern is that when tou think the car (mine being the a 53 plate 276bhp) is that if you put it up against any other car with exactly the same bhp it will probably lose.

when you look on youtube i know there are alot of cars that get whooped by the zed but if both are standard sometimes i get dissapointed my main one being the s2000, it seems very even, zed winning alot but so does the s2000, they are nearlly 50bhp less and should not come close. scooby's standard used to be about the same power but would nt mind betting that the zed would not win. like i said im thrilled to bits and i dont drive mine flat out any way but just a little dissapointed that all.

i love my zed i have only had it 3 months and cant think of a car that even comes close for the price, especially styling wise and how rare they are. maybe the new tt but in a years time there will be millions of them just like the old shape. it is plenty powerful for me, but my only concern is that when tou think the car (mine being the a 53 plate 276bhp) is that if you put it up against any other car with exactly the same bhp it will probably lose.

when you look on youtube i know there are alot of cars that get whooped by the zed but if both are standard sometimes i get dissapointed my main one being the s2000, it seems very even, zed winning alot but so does the s2000, they are nearlly 50bhp less and should not come close. scooby's standard used to be about the same power but would nt mind betting that the zed would not win. like i said im thrilled to bits and i dont drive mine flat out any way but just a little dissapointed that all.

But the s2000 is much lighter ;)

Scooby is 4wd and may even be lighter?

400 bhp would be no good if the car weighed 2000 kg's. The zeds biggest problem is weight :)

i agree with you there xStric9x, you cant really compare your car to a standard one wutang200, and saying its ok for a first time sports car is cutting it a little close to the mustard, specially on a z forum. as in the past, the Z car isn't only about speed or handeling old mate, theres that touch of class and style to it. Its easier to pull the birds in a Z than an sx.

The other thing is that a stiffer clutch gives you greater power transfer, so you aren't loosing loads of power through the tranny. Maybe if you hit the gym a little more you may not find the clutch so stiff :lol:

Meant no disrespect towards the Zed mate just putting my opinion across of it. I do agree that the Z is much prettier than a SX in every aspect.

I didn't mean any disrespect when I said it's ok for a first time sports car but it's actually my mates first car and is very safe with the TC cutting in before any wheel spin happens and limited top speed but I can't see myself ever owning one mainly due to the weight of the thing.

He was expecting the power delivery to be similar to mine which disappointed him when it felt very linear and looked at me as I'm the one who recommended the Z to him in the first place lol.

I managed to explain how different the power delivery is from an n/a V6 to a turbo engine but he said he's happy with the car as a whole which was the main thing.

I've always been one for a lightweight drivers sports car like the S2000 which is most likely gonna be my replacement or maybe even a Lotus.

About the hard clutch, it's the only car I've driven with a standard clutch that hard. Going gym has nothing to do with it lol even though I do go regularly.

Totally agree with Sarnie, its a heavy car, which is a down point, but with the thing pushing nearly 1600kgs and the S2000 being over 300kgs lighter there will be a good match on acceleration, plus the Honda v-tec engine is an absolute revolution to automotive engineering, its not surprising how quick it is. Even though the VQ35DE is meant to be in the top 10 engines ever put into production.

Speed isn't always about power, the ratio in the s2000 is majorly different to the Z, it may only be half a second slower to 60, but it maxes out at 150mph as the ratios are so close, where the Z is Limited to 155mph and is capable of more. Even take an M3, the Z isn't that much slower than that, and its a 340bhp car.

Its all about the driver either way, what the fun with racing someone in a straight line anyway?!!

but I can't see myself ever owning one mainly due to the weight of the thing.

Now this will throw the cat, amongst the pigeons, would you own an R35, or maybe a DB9, Bentley Continental Flying Spur all pushing 2 tonnes?? I'm guessing you just said yeeeess! :lol: Reasoning here, the R35 & the others are certainly more than a tad lardy. I think ultimately the weight off the car has some bearing, but not totally. For the weight of the Z33, depending on which model around 1467kgs (whatever the metric is), it would be a whole lot worse if there wasn't such heavy usage of aluminum throughout, as you've probably discovered. The one thing being a little bit heavier, it's a bit more planted & balanced at speed, cornering etc.

I've not driven an S14, but I had a S15-Spec R before my Z, so not terribly dissimilar, wish I'd kept it as a little brother for my Z.

Don't worry Wutang you'll get used to us and our love of the Z. ;)