Help Please £6000 cheapest insurance!

IanS16

Really? He would technically be an uninsured driver with no legal cover at all, so why would they still pay me?

PMSL @ ambivalent bunny :lol:

Its the Road Traffic Act 1988. If there is a policy of insurance in place then provided the insurers are given proper notice they must pay any unsatisfied court judgment obtained against the policyholder. They are then entitled to pursue the policyholder for their outlay.

A true uninsured driver is one where there is no policy of insurance in place and the claim from the injured third party is then paid out by the Motor Insurers Bureau who are the insurer of last resort. They can also pursue the uninsured motorist to recover any outlay but as most have £500 cars they usually don't.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? He would technically be an uninsured driver with no legal cover at all, so why would they still pay me?

PMSL @ ambivalent bunny :lol:

Its the Road Traffic Act 1988. If there is a policy of insurance in place then provided the insurers are given proper notice they must pay any unsatisfied court judgment obtained against the policyholder. They are then entitled to pursue the policyholder for their outlay.

A true uninsured driver is one where there is no policy of insurance in place and the claim from the injured third party is then paid out by the Motor Insurers Bureau who are the insurer of last resort. They can also pursue the uninsured motorist to recover any outlay but as most have £500 cars they usually don't.

Said like a true amulance chaser :lol::p

Yea... fair enough saying get a car you can afford the insurance on but if you had taken the time to read the original post you would know that i did get my insurance paid for. Im not starting a thread war but I could have bought a 1 litre corsa.. as the insurance was a fixed price I went for the 350z as it was my dream car.

Hey, you only live once, if you can, go for it! I could easily afford the car's maintenance and running costs, just not the insurance!

Sorry about the :rant: above but to be honest, unless you already have the cash up front we all take a gamble on finance/loans -Who knows who may lose their job to no fault of their own or even just have a change in their insurance situation like me. (I and my boss did not see this change to insurance coming, god, he's taken a much bigger kick in the balls than I have) To everyone (especially M13KYF and Martinmac) who has given me advice Thanks! Really is a good community here!

Yea... fair enough saying get a car you can afford the insurance on but if you had taken the time to read the original post you would know that i did get my insurance paid for. Im not starting a thread war but I could have bought a 1 litre corsa.. as the insurance was a fixed price I went for the 350z as it was my dream car.

Hey, you only live once, if you can, go for it! I could easily afford the car's maintenance and running costs, just not the insurance!

To be honest, the money asked is extreme. I'm not sure anyone could/would want to pay £6k for ins. I wouldn't pay it for a G but the combo of license, NCD, Age + car group means stupid price!!!!!

You're up late Sarnie! Yeah i do agree with you. At the end of the day its a 13k car so 6k insurance isn't worth it. If i did sell the car i would probably loose 10k due to the finance/credit crunch (im only 22, even 1k is a @*!# load of money) so in a way I cant afford to not insure it!

Was just after a few ideas/tips.

To be honest i was quite happy with an evo after the money for the smash I had but im pretty sure the www.evo-uk.com forum will be full of idiots who know half as much as the people on here! Its not just the car that i can't get rid of, its the community. I know it sounds stupid but if i'd smashed my evo up i doubt there would be a matinmac or a bigphil to help me get back on track!

Sorry about the :rant: above but to be honest, unless you already have the cash up front we all take a gamble on finance/loans -Who knows who may lose their job to no fault of their own or even just have a change in their insurance situation like me. (I and my boss did not see this change to insurance coming, god, he's taken a much bigger kick in the balls than I have) To everyone (especially M13KYF and Martinmac) who has given me advice Thanks! Really is a good community here!

True, but you don't have to finance a car, whereas you do have to insure it. Plus anyone with half a brain takes out a payment protection plan on the finance to cover you if things do go tits up.

I hope you do manage to get things sorted though, have you spoken to many other insurers yet? Any lower prices?

Guest prescience

True, but you don't have to finance a car, whereas you do have to insure it. Plus anyone with half a brain takes out a payment protection plan on the finance to cover you if things do go tits up.

Not with the finance company themselves they don't, those policies are shockingly bad value :headhurt:

Have you tried getting quotes without the mods? If it's a decent amount less it might be worth removing them and selling them, offsetting some of the insurance cost.

Also try adding an older driver to the policy. Just adding your Mother to the policy (not that I'm saying she's old - just an example) as a named driver can lower your premium by almost half in some cases, and just cos she's on the policy it doesn't mean you have to give her a set of keys. Try it out on Moneysupermarket.

Also juggling your occupation can help. Obviously tell the truth, but most peoples jobs are not in a set catagory and can fit in a few. If this is the case for you, try them out and it could help lower your premium.

Just read the threads on this topic and find it unsurprising the amount which has been quoted bearing in mind age, no ncd and insurance group. I'm afraid that even though you and others of your age group within the club can be classified as safe, competent drivers, you are paying the price for the apparent recklessness of others in your age group who are not as careful and are involved in more accidents thereby loading the premiums. You might be able to shave a few hundred quid off but I doubt it.

On the subject of modifications and advising the insurance company, am I right in thinking that the insurance company need only be advised if the engine performance of your car has been improved beyond the power output expressed on the registration document? I know many, including myself, have bolted on goodies which under normal circumstances should increase power output but because of the Nissan ECU such performance increases are generally negated. Therefore, if you can demonstrate through a dyno read-out that engine power output has not increased you need not advise your insurance company? I know they use the phrase 'modified' as a catch all but upgrading to 19" wheels or fitting better discs etc., should not increase premiums per se.

Just read the threads on this topic and find it unsurprising the amount which has been quoted bearing in mind age, no ncd and insurance group. I'm afraid that even though you and others of your age group within the club can be classified as safe, competent drivers, you are paying the price for the apparent recklessness of others in your age group who are not as careful and are involved in more accidents thereby loading the premiums. You might be able to shave a few hundred quid off but I doubt it.

On the subject of modifications and advising the insurance company, am I right in thinking that the insurance company need only be advised if the engine performance of your car has been improved beyond the power output expressed on the registration document? I know many, including myself, have bolted on goodies which under normal circumstances should increase power output but because of the Nissan ECU such performance increases are generally negated. Therefore, if you can demonstrate through a dyno read-out that engine power output has not increased you need not advise your insurance company? I know they use the phrase 'modified' as a catch all but upgrading to 19" wheels or fitting better discs etc., should not increase premiums per se.

Any modifications should be declared, upgrading to 19" wheels may make your car more desirable to thieves/joy riders (etc) and hence more of a risk

Any modifications should be declared, upgrading to 19" wheels may make your car more desirable to thieves/joy riders (etc) and hence more of a risk

+1 I'm afraid that if you do not declare mods the insurers can refuse to indemnify if you make a claim and the lack of performance gains will hold no water with them.

+2.. you even have to declare body kits whick I suppose slow your car down more than anything.

Dont get me wrong, i want to do it all legally and correctly, just things like adding my father as an additional driver lowers costs and obviously doesnt void my insurance either.

Spoke to my companys insurance broker the other day about not declaring mods etc and he said that if i bumped into a bollard in sainsburys then they would probably pay the repair money no questions asked. Its when it all goes really tits up and you hit another car or even a person, the insurance would be void and you would probably end up in prison or something. At the end of the day, i dont think anyone with half a brain would want to take that risk for the sake of a few quid.

A few tips have been really helpful actually, i've dropped the insurance down to about £4000 now.

Will do a post when it is all sorted summarising the tips and advice people have given me so far - will hopefully be usefull!

Again, thanks for all the help!

Hi Ian, I'm also 21 and am currently insuring a 350z in my own name, all modifications declared (quite a few of them!) for £2,600 fully comp. I've got no NCB and have been driving since I was 17 so I'm sure you can get a better quote than 4k! Have you tried adding your Mum onto your policy in your own name, so that she is just a named driver? That also helps to get it down I think.