Washing machine stinks of petrol

Stew

Ok, after doing a few odd jobs I ended up stinking of petrol. I chucked my clothes in the washing machine and washed as normal - yes ladies I'm a catch! I can do washing and everything!

Anyway, when I removed everything from the machine it was left stinking of fuel. I have run a couple of long cycles with the machine empyt and it still stinks....

Anybody know what I can do?

ooer put diesel in it Stew!! :lol:

Sorry its probably still in the waste and collector trays etc behind the drum - put a hot wash on with nothing in there - put something like soda crystal instead -to degrease but check they are safe to put in a machine first - should do the trick - works for oil and diesel anyway!! :wacko:

white vinegar has lots of power - chuck some in every now and then anyway to prevent limescale - same with your dishwasher. Do it with the hottest wash you can 90 degrees if poss.

edit: or you could try Stan's method as he's probably a better housewife than me! ;)

You're meant to use white (clear like water) vinegar for household stuff but I would imagine malt (brown) vinegar would probably still work - then again it could react with the fuel and blow up - who knows? :lol:

If i had the choice I would rather have a bloke that smelt of oil than the chip shop though........... :lol:

It's white.

Oh I think the machine is away to beep....

The problem is it doesn't smell like oil.... it smells like petrol!

I have plenty of clothes that smell like oil from my pre office days

I quite like the smell of petrol.

Me too. When I was in my late teens and suffering a lot from hay fever, the best place to be was in my mate's garage with strong smells of petrol, oil etc. Must have masked the pollens enough to stop me sneezing! :thumbs:

Vinegar worked a treat.

5 litres of distilled vinegar over a few loads....

The drum has a faint smell of petrol now but it doesn't go in the clothes thankfully!

Thanks again Nixy, you saved me buying a replacement and an arse kicking from my other half! :lol: