NOS

SAFC99

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it would be ok if your engine had the strength.

I personally think you'd be looking at a bang, a clatter followed by multiple bits lying at various places within a 100 feet of the car if you applied it.

I don't know much though! :blush:

• 1 month later...
Just a hypothetical, but what about NOS on a FI setup

whats the gains, stresses to engine etc

Pistons wont hold up, even if you strengthen the engine build, with that kind of power combination something else on the car would break, engine is not built for that. Now if you stick a Twin JZ engine in there, then do this now we are talking lol... got 40k spare?

hey Zedrush.. what u driving at the moment? also saw your brothers car at a meet recently in Thurrock services with a new owner.

Yep well I got a Q7 audi at the mo for work and Im getting my weekend car delivered in December, custom colour so have to wait. Going to be the best christmas ever lol cant wait

hey Zedrush.. what u driving at the moment? also saw your brothers car at a meet recently in Thurrock services with a new owner.

Yep well I got a Q7 audi at the mo for work and Im getting my weekend car delivered in December, custom colour so have to wait. Going to be the best christmas ever lol cant wait

Isn't pink a list colour for the Fiat 500?

lol how did you know ha ha. Nah its a plain black V8 Vantage new one with engine upgrade, black leather with red stitching cant wait

lol how did you know ha ha. Nah its a plain black V8 Vantage new one with engine upgrade, black leather with red stitching cant wait

Nice. Well, for the first 6 months. Then you'll go Jelly Tot 500.

Nice. Well, for the first 6 months. Then you'll go Jelly Tot 500.

You know me too well lol

Enjoy the depreciation curve :scare::p

You only live once bud, cant be arsed about depreciation. Only time I worry about depreciation is if a property I purchased ends up in negative equity, or if any more of my brain cells depreciate lol

You only live once bud, cant be arsed about depreciation. Only time I worry about depreciation is if a property I purchased ends up in negative equity, or if any more of my brain cells depreciate lol

Can I have the car when your brain cells depleat so much you cant drive? :teeth:

Can I have the car when your brain cells depleat so much you cant drive? :teeth:

think martinmac has first dips lol

think martinmac has first dips lol

I'll get him to leave it to me in his will. Will be a classic by then :teeth:

Going back to the NOS talk, not knowing alot about it. People have said to me if the bottle is on and you miss shift, this would blow the engine up. Is this the case?

This is one of them questions that can be open to all sorts of speculations as there are so many variables involved, i.e how much shot is running through, at what temp, fuel to nitrous ratio blah blah blah. Im no guru on this but Ill try and answer with my very limited knowledge, anyone else feel free to correct me if Im out.

In order to answer your question we must first understand what a nos kit (or correctly said a nitrous system) demands from the engine of a 350z and how a miss shift can effect it and under what conditions.

When we look at a nitrous system for the 350z one of the most overlooked questions that needs to be asked is what is my limit concerning Torque and Not so much BHP. The reason why you have to understand Nitrous torque is because it is relative to the RPM that you hit it at. The torque from NItrous is to say the least... CRAZY and I certainly would not recommend hitting the nitrous below 3000 RPM otherwise yes depending on how much power you have you will damage the engine over a short period of time or fault it completely.

So in answer to your question if you missshift and the result drops the Rev below 3000 rpm and you have nos freely flowing then yes it is possible to ruin the engine....

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And its a big but, there are 2 things worth mentioning that should put your mind at ease......

1.) Buy a RPM window switch

2.) You have to have a controller

Explained:

1.) RPM Window switch

A RPM window switch tells the nitrous to only turn on between certain RPMS, you can set these to start at whatever RPM you would like. I used between 3500 to 6000 RPMs on a 55 plate, a little higher on the rev ups. This give you the safety of only working when you are in the "window" of RPMs to add to the safety of your setup. If you miss shift the nitrous would cut out which would stop any damage to the engine of excess torque coming in at the wrong time.

2.) Controller

or otherwise known as progressive controller, this allows the nitrous to be injected progressively so that you dont just dump all that torque into the engine, again misshift and release at lower rpm it would reduce the damage and pressure on the engine.

So like anything you put too much turbo on at low rev will wear or damage the engine or the turbo for that matter.

Nitrous has a bad name and its because of either chinese whispers or made up stuff of people who say I had nitrous and i blew up my car with me in it... erm okay, or they have bad experience with it because it was simple not installed properly.

Hope that helps mate

Thanks mate, It does answer my question. Just basiclly with the right supporting Nitrous mods you have room for error, not saying it wouldnt happen but if you did miss shift these mods are in place to help protect the engine.

I'm just curious at the moment, it is something I would consdier doing in the future, but i would want to do it right ie with very little risk of making it go boom.

Thanks mate, It does answer my question. Just basiclly with the right supporting Nitrous mods you have room for error, not saying it wouldnt happen but if you did miss shift these mods are in place to help protect the engine.

I'm just curious at the moment, it is something I would consdier doing in the future, but i would want to do it right ie with very little risk of making it go boom.

ill pm you some info on it mate, I ran with nitrous and can honestly vouch for it, my experience was faultless and a hell of a lot of fun. In the states they have been running nitrous on 350z for over 6 years with no problems whatso ever. Its mainly people who dont know about the systems that hypothesis saying kaboom

ill pm you some info on it mate, I ran with nitrous and can honestly vouch for it, my experience was faultless and a hell of a lot of fun. In the states they have been running nitrous on 350z for over 6 years with no problems whatso ever. Its mainly people who dont know about the systems that hypothesis saying kaboom

NIce one mate. Like i said not looking for a while but if i start reading, learning and understanding it now, by the time I can afford it then I will hopefully know enough about it.

was suppose to be getting my nitrous fitted tomorrow but had to put it back till next friday......cant wait :yahoo:

what shot are you starting off with and you going direct port or single port? bet you cant wait mate :yahoo:

its a 75 shot, and i think a single shot...not 100% sure about that though...there is sooo many peices in the box, im sure glad im not fitting it :wacko:

was suppose to be getting my nitrous fitted tomorrow but had to put it back till next friday......cant wait :yahoo:

what shot are you starting off with and you going direct port or single port? bet you cant wait mate :yahoo:

its a 75 shot, and i think a single shot...not 100% sure about that though...there is sooo many peices in the box, im sure glad im not fitting it :wacko:

I cannot wait for you to see how it goes.. :D:D

nice B) you did get a controller right? :blush:

• 2 weeks later...