just heard on radio

stuey

Its just disgusting! How can anyone possibly live in this country with everything increasing to extortionate prices!

Ive just bought a place as you all know and budgeted myself on current prices, with everything going up, it looks like i may not be able to afford a new car now as i can - in present climate - afford a new zed now, but i just cant commit as i dont know what is happening with the economy and bills etc...how do they plan to get first time buyers onto the market when a bloody fish and chips cheap take out meal is also going to increase! ARGH!! :rant:

Its just disgusting! How can anyone possibly live in this country with everything increasing to extortionate prices!

Ive just bought a place as you all know and budgeted myself on current prices, with everything going up, it looks like i may not be able to afford a new car now as i can - in present climate - afford a new zed now, but i just cant commit as i dont know what is happening with the economy and bills etc...how do they plan to get first time buyers onto the market when a bloody fish and chips cheap take out meal is also going to increase! ARGH!! :rant:

I understand where you're coming from but there is little this government or any other can do about the base cost of oil, it is a commodity and as such will rise and fall depending on demand. This or any future government can of course reduce its tax take on oil derived products but can it when all public sector workers are demanding above inflationary wage increases and the likes of you and me are demanding top grade public services. I'm not a labour supporter have voted Tory all my life but I cannot see a rosy future irrespective of which government is in power. This country's prosperity has been built on debt a non sustainable economic model. The good times are definately over and will probably not return to this or any other western country for a long time if ever.

My Dad lives in America and i was there in March. EVERYTHING is so much cheaper, and everyone is paid more. Its disgusting.

He lives overlooking a huge lake, and has a beautiful house and land... and its worth $300k. Thats £150k. You couldn't buy a flat for that in this country.

However... they're all up in arms over there - petrol has risen from $3.05 a gallon to $3.54 a gallon since i was there in March. Now that is a rise!

My Dad lives in America and i was there in March. EVERYTHING is so much cheaper, and everyone is paid more. Its disgusting.

He lives overlooking a huge lake, and has a beautiful house and land... and its worth $300k. Thats £150k. You couldn't buy a flat for that in this country.

However... they're all up in arms over there - petrol has risen from $3.05 a gallon to $3.54 a gallon since i was there in March. Now that is a rise!

I was talking to my cousin yesterday and her weekly shopping bill has risen by 50% in the last month, not because they are fat buggers, but due to prices being raised! Its scary stuff! :surrender:

If only the cost of a barrel of oil was to do with supply & demand. At the moment the daily production matches the demand. As the stock market is so cr** & volatile they have turned to speculating with commodities. Expect it to get worse as the $200 a barrel will be with us this year & it affects more than just petrol - so many things are oil based. :(

If only the cost of a barrel of oil was to do with supply & demand. At the moment the daily production matches the demand. As the stock market is so cr** & volatile they have turned to speculating with commodities. Expect it to get worse as the $200 a barrel will be with us this year & it affects more than just petrol - so many things are oil based. :(

You hit it right on the head there - far too many people are allowed to make profits from buying and selling commodities which haven't even been extracted from the ground yet! That's the result of a totally unregulated free market economy for you.

There is one hope, and that is that the high prices will drive much more research into finding alternatives to petroleum-based products, including petrol. If petrol had been much more expensive in the USA for years, we would probably all be driving hydrogen fuel cell-powered cars by now.

Yeah that is right. Not only can they power your car but also provide electricity for the whole street. Only problem is we would have to have a recording of the sweet sounds of our exhausts as they don't make any noise.

Stealth Zeds - I like it! :)