370z headlight UV damage

Umster

I'm hoping I'm overreacting here but I fear that my headlights have cracked and aren't going to be repairable. My headlights were as clear as glass, they are given a polish as and when needed to remove the top layer. 

I've been out to wash my car today and I've noticed a few cracks on the headlights and some serious UV damage relative to the state I leave them in. 

See a photo of each headlight below, I'll be uploading some more but can anyone tell me they've had a similar experience or that they've repaired a similar condition or even understand what's happened here. 

I'm fuming at the potential cost of replacing these! 

DSC_3474.JPG.6a4bf48f2a0e9ec92c9642b987932936.JPG

DSC_3473.JPG.b136878d85aa5584f193a8d8132ff5bf.JPG

DSC_3478.JPG.4833a4944e5ddd2e44820e7135d802ef.JPG

DSC_3476.JPG.40b2baf293dce8322564c4c2108b1737.JPG

Edited by Umster
  • Sad 1

Polish is fine, it's the larger than hairline cracks that are annoying. Had a quick Google and its supposedly a common issue with Z headlights, something to do with the plastic lens not being engineered well enough to cope with the constant change in temps, though I'm more concerned that this has happened when my lights weren't in use. 

I can use an appropriate epoxy to stop any water getting in and deal with an opaque line on my headlights or buy used headlights and swap the lenses over or worst case, just buy new headlights. Just need to keep water away from the electrics. 

Some even say that treating/wrapping them won't help. The plastic fatigues over time and it's pot luck if it cracks or not. The wrap will only hinder the natural expansion of the lens supposedly. 

This sounds very logical - age and the beat up from several restorations has probably taken its toll. Just pure shock that it happened presumably over the course of the BH weekend. 

Time to source new lenses! Guess it's the right time to spray the internals, add halos and wrap/coat them. 

So with the cost of repairing it being significantly lower than the cost of replacement, I will put my idea out for public critique. 

I will find some clear epoxy that will fill and bond the plastic cracks, knowing they will always show. 

I will take advantage of my headlights being out and fit halos, paint the internals (not sure how hot they get and if I need VHT paint or VHT lacquer) and get "brighter" bulbs - most likely 35W 5000K/6000K. 

The newer bulbs will help offset the light smoke wrap I want to put on the headlight lenses to ensure they don't get further UV damage and crack even further. The wrap should also help deflect attention and slightly hide the cracks in the lenses. 

Just need to figure out how hot the internals get and how to ensure I seal them after I'm sure the internals are clean and have enough glue sealing them together and preventing lifelong condensation issues. 

All else fails, there is potentially OEM or aftermarket headlights I could get my hands on and fit before summer ends. 

Those cracks aren’t the result of UV damage (the hazing is though), so simply filling them with epoxy isn't going to address the underlying cause so it’s potentially a short term fix. Having said that, it could be a longer term fix so there’s no harm in trying it.

Also just to note that the lenses are polycarbonate rather than plastic - no idea if this makes any difference to how the epoxy will bond or anything so just mentioning it.

I’m very much not a fan of tinted wrap on lights by any means but seeing as the lights are coming off and getting fiddled with anyway is there any reason you’re not reapplying the clear topcoat? It would help to mask what the epoxy doesn’t fix a lot better and won’t reduce the light output like a tinted wrap would.

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

Also just to note that the lenses are polycarbonate rather than plastic - no idea if this makes any difference to how the epoxy will bond or anything so just mentioning it.

Nothing quicker at getting the right answer than posting a wrong/generic answer. Thanks for confirming what I've seen once or twice on other how to guides. 

1 hour ago, ilogikal1 said:

I'm very much not a fan of tinted wrap on lights by any means but seeing as the lights are coming off and getting fiddled with anyway is there any reason you’re not reapplying the clear topcoat? It would help to mask what the epoxy doesn’t fix a lot better and won’t reduce the light output like a tinted wrap would.

I concur, wraps on headlights just doesn't sit right with me but my eye will always turn to the cracks, it won't ever be the same as before. I'm hoping the tint will distract/cover up the lines on the lenses. 

Tinting it worries me considering I want to paint the internals a darker colour, feel like it'll really dim the lights so hoping someone can help my mind think straight!