Jump to content

Replacing diff bushings


Recommended Posts

I need to replace my diff bushings sooner rather than later as the stock one has started to leak. Its not desperate yet so I have been looking around the web, youtube and garages to try and figure out if I DIY or put it in a garage. I'm fairly handy when it comes to working on stuff but I do lack a couple of tools that would make the job easier. 

 

Firstly I asked Horsham Developments for a quote for the work and was quoted £400 labour (in my mind i had a figure of 200-300). Now I know its not a simple job as exhaust and sway bars need removing then as well shafts and sensors etc but I'm still struggling to see where the £400 goes or perhaps they just have high hourly rates I dunno....... Any way that made me consider investing in a rear bushing removal tool from z1 motorsports and a Chinese press (probs total around £200 shipped and with HMRC's cut).

 

So I have this balance currently of is it worth chucking to a experienced garage and spending the extra £200 on top of tooling or do I play at home on my driveway to save a few quid but then have the joys of dealing with bolts that haven't come out of the car in over 14 years lol.   I wanted to put the feelers out to the community so see what other peoples experiences have been, how long it took to do the work if anyone here has done the job themselves and what options other have taken when faced with the same choice.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid around £350 to have mine done - that was all the diff bushes replaced not just the leaking rear one since the diff was off anyway - and the Whiteline kit includes all the bushes. That price included labour, bush kit and VAT.

Actually I was lucky and didn't pay - spotted it quickly and the trader who sold me the car stumped up for it.

 

 

Edited by Ponsonby
ammended
Link to post
Share on other sites

Removing and refitting the diff is fairly straight forward and not to time consuming.

 

The main issue is the removal of the OEM sub frame diff bushing as most of the bush removal tools are not up to the job.

 

It is a messy job but I now cut or burn out the old bushing.

 

It is a DIY but a ramp is really required.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced mine myself 

Its easily a DIY job 

The hardest bit was cutting out the old Bush 

 

I used a recip saw and was very careful to only cut the Bush 

But that's the worst bit 

After that its plain sailing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid a garage to do it, and as others have said the sub frame bush was a pain, but everything else ok.

 

I can't imagine doing this without a ramp though. It'll just be a fight.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback guys :thumbs:

 

I already have a whiteline bushing set so its just about labour ........ hmmm yeah ... I hear what you guys are saying its going to be really crampt on just axle stands not to mention the lack of decent angle on a breaker bar. 

 

As I have the afternoon off I might as well try harassing a couple of places to see if I can get some other quotes for the work to be done. Shame I don't have access to a ramp as Id happily crack on with it.

 

For the guys that did it DIY, how long approx did it take you from start to finish?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be keen to hear more about this too! I've got a 370Z that I need the diff bushings replaced. See if they'll sort a price knowing they could get 2 cars in. 

 

I'm based in the Midlands but frequently in Berkshire and West London too. 

 

Tarmac surprisingly said they don't do it. Horsham quoted more than I could reasonably expect to pay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just search on youtube, or the US forum, you can make the tool yourself but this one is built for purpose. I don't understand why the garages don't have them.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transmission-driveline/z1-motorsports/z1-motorsports-rear-differential-bushing-removal-tool-370z-g37-p-11086.html

 

(tbf, one person could buy it and sell it on or go halves ;))

 

I can take the diff out pretty quickly by myself now using axle stands and one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Floor-Transmission-Jack-150kg-TJ150E/121835543477?epid=21017013245&hash=item1c5df6dbb5:g:I44AAOSw5p5dDJn9

 

(perfect for a diff, not sure about dropping the transmission on it!)

Edited by RobPhoboS
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

Just search on youtube, or the US forum, you can make the tool yourself but this one is built for purpose. I don't understand why the garages don't have them.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transmission-driveline/z1-motorsports/z1-motorsports-rear-differential-bushing-removal-tool-370z-g37-p-11086.html

 

(tbf, one person could buy it and sell it on or go halves ;))

 

I can take the diff out pretty quickly by myself now using axle stands and one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Floor-Transmission-Jack-150kg-TJ150E/121835543477?epid=21017013245&hash=item1c5df6dbb5:g:I44AAOSw5p5dDJn9

 

(perfect for a diff, not sure about dropping the transmission on it!)

 

Ohhh tool porn that I didn't know existed ......... tbh Id probably try and balance it on a normal trolley jack. Yeah that's the tool I was looking at sees like its well worth it rather than bastardising the bloody thing out.

 

Umster 

I've been trying to get hold of Abby motorsport but line is rather busy every time I try but I will keep this thread updated once I get a quote from them, and always worth asking if they do discounts for multiple zeds lol 

Edited by zeebez
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
56 minutes ago, RobPhoboS said:

Just search on youtube, or the US forum, you can make the tool yourself but this one is built for purpose. I don't understand why the garages don't have them.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transmission-driveline/z1-motorsports/z1-motorsports-rear-differential-bushing-removal-tool-370z-g37-p-11086.html

 

(tbf, one person could buy it and sell it on or go halves ;))

 

 

The hardened hardware (rods and nuts) are not up to the job I am afraid.

Z1 are obviously aware of this and that is why they mention it and offer replacements. ;)

If you are lucky you MAY get 1 use out of the removal rod/nuts.

 

Also, remember that the instructions for the Whiteline ear bushings are incorrect and should be fitted the opposite way from there instructions.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2019 at 09:31, zeebez said:

I need to replace my diff bushings sooner rather than later as the stock one has started to leak. Its not desperate yet so I have been looking around the web, youtube and garages to try and figure out if I DIY or put it in a garage. I'm fairly handy when it comes to working on stuff but I do lack a couple of tools that would make the job easier. 

 

Firstly I asked Horsham Developments for a quote for the work and was quoted £400 labour (in my mind i had a figure of 200-300). Now I know its not a simple job as exhaust and sway bars need removing then as well shafts and sensors etc but I'm still struggling to see where the £400 goes or perhaps they just have high hourly rates I dunno....... Any way that made me consider investing in a rear bushing removal tool from z1 motorsports and a Chinese press (probs total around £200 shipped and with HMRC's cut).

 

So I have this balance currently of is it worth chucking to a experienced garage and spending the extra £200 on top of tooling or do I play at home on my driveway to save a few quid but then have the joys of dealing with bolts that haven't come out of the car in over 14 years lol.   I wanted to put the feelers out to the community so see what other peoples experiences have been, how long it took to do the work if anyone here has done the job themselves and what options other have taken when faced with the same choice.

 

 

I had mine done a couple of months ago, didn't fancy it myself so got a garage to do the work.

 

Note the Whiteline instructions MAY be wrong for the 350z, the thinner bushes are fitted to the bottom, fat ones at the top, and no OEM washer on top. Make sure you have the 'Revision C' instructions.

Edited by cob1980
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update: I have had a poke about and the best price I've had so far from a 350z specialist down south is from the guys at Abby Motorsport at £315 inc vat.

 

I will more than likely be taking mine there and to get a few other bits done .......... providing I don't keep getting distracted by too many other shiny things. One day I might win the lotto then I can buy everything at once lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zeebez said:

Just a quick update: I have had a poke about and the best price I've had so far from a 350z specialist down south is from the guys at Abby Motorsport at £315 inc vat.

 

I will more than likely be taking mine there and to get a few other bits done .......... providing I don't keep getting distracted by too many other shiny things. One day I might win the lotto then I can buy everything at once lol

Don't know how far you're travelling but you could ask for a quote where I got mine done, RPM garage in Birmingham 0121 356 3175

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cob1980 said:

Don't know how far you're travelling but you could ask for a quote where I got mine done, RPM garage in Birmingham 0121 356 3175

Bit too far to travel to be honest, its a good 2hr drive up to Birmingham in semi decent traffic. Issue with that is its harder to find people to drive up with you and bring you back if you need to leave the car. Don't get me wrong there is always public transport but id rather not lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zeebez said:

Bit too far to travel to be honest, its a good 2hr drive up to Birmingham in semi decent traffic. Issue with that is its harder to find people to drive up with you and bring you back if you need to leave the car. Don't get me wrong there is always public transport but id rather not lol

Public transport... :yuck:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...