Drifty Track S12 VQ build

Sim

So a few days after the video above, I went down to see her in the metal and the engine bay looks factory. It looks like it was always meant to be in there, I cannot wait until I can do a shake down at Mallory or Donnington to get a feel for her.
Thankfully Abbey have a Hunter Alignment rig so they picked up on the fact my suspension swap was a tad out of whack. The tension rods I'd fitted were way too short, so castor was stupidly high, this was a relatively easy fix with some skyline tension rods about 60mm longer than the S chassis ones I'd fitted :)

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the mega delay, so she's back at my workshop, the drive home was mental in the rain towards the end of last year.

Since then I've installed a few bits, Jap dildo gear knob, handbrake handle, a little hand held extinguisher and most importantly a 3kg rally spec gas manual fire extinguisher system.

Did some other little bits as well.

I'll add some pics in a few minutes :)

I've taken it out and it's hilarious fun, big smiles, very loose at the rear but quite predictable.

It made a little over 250whp, so well over double what it had back in the day, and proabably around double what I'd squeezed out of the old CA18ET with my mods.

Big shout out to everyone involved: Brett at FVS in Leicester, Terry at RetroMasters, Leadfoot Racing, and obviously Mark and the Team @ Abbey Motorsport who have pulled it altogether :)

I'm down to 5 things to tick off my list.

Edited by Sim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Quick update, done about 800 miles shake down and a few road trips and shows this year, she's been pretty well behaved other than an ECU issue but Mark sorted out FOC exchange with Link.

The last dyno run was 252whp, could maybe squeeze a tiny bit more with plenum spacer but I don't want the bonnet any higher although might see if I can get a different bonnet at a later date, but I'm fine and it's plenty for grin factor.

2 hours ago, docwra said:

From what I remember 250@wheels will be plenty for an S12, you been on a drift day yet?

lol, it's definitely plenty on the road.

Not yet but will be doing some track days and drift days at some point but I can confirm that on our workshop carpark she's very capable of huge and very controlable donuts :thumbs:

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 21:34, evilscorp said:

How are you measuring speed? GPS signal to gauges? Or do you have a hall sensor hooked up somewhere.

Looking good.:thumbs:

Good question, as I'd already swapped out the front to a hybrid S13 (Hubs, Knuckles, Brakes, coilovers) /S14 (tension rods, LCA, Tension rod Brackets) (although Abbey did have to fit longer tensions rods from an R33(?) as the castor was crazy), I had the ABS sensor on the S13 Hubs/Knuckles, so we're using that, it's mega accurate.

Thanks, I'm very happy with how she came out :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 14:32, docwra said:

From what I remember 250@wheels will be plenty for an S12, you been on a drift day yet?

Drift day booked, DWYB at Pod in February, my wife and I both have the day off so we can finally use up some of these tyres I've been saving up.

Might be brave enough for the top track, we'll see how the figure 8's and kidney go first :lol:

@docwra Holy crap, hard hits.

I went backwards at speed towards the concrete by the toilets and only just got stopped in time, so I'll be being very careful, probably not much top track action, just a feeler for how she's handling.

Was entirely my fault TBH, I knew my subframe bushes were beyond knackered and could feel the subframe moving about but kept going, eventually it just steered me into one of the big concrete blocks which as you can tell from the picture was pointing into the track for some reason. Youll be fine, Im sure :lol:

Never had much luck at the Pod TBH, first time I was up there I managed to smash a back quarter into a barrel, not unusual but unfortunately the one I chose was full of concrete :surrender:   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, she monstered her first day of abuse, only issue was boiled power steering fluid, so I've bought a cooler to put on the low pressure return.

I didn't hit the top track but had decent figure 8's again by the end of the day in the play pens.

Got some great set-up tips from Richie Gilbey who was a star talking to about suspension set-up and tyre pressures.

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

OOO_2723.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my transmission cooler on the low pressure return from the rack, bled it out and just need to mod my bash guard/undertray as I've lost some fixings, so going to use stainless rivnuts to make sure it's nice and solid.

Then it's Mallory : )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bloody love this car, looking forward to seeing this in the metal (fibreglass?) sometime soon :) 

You might not know but one of the admins on SXOC, Clint has just bought one so expect him to get in touch pretty soon ;) 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2022 at 13:30, docwra said:

Bloody love this car, looking forward to seeing this in the metal (fibreglass?) sometime soon :) 

You might not know but one of the admins on SXOC, Clint has just bought one so expect him to get in touch pretty soon ;) 

Thank you, it's so much fun to drive, I'm glad we saved it rather than scrapping it.

If he messages me I'll send him my number if he wants a chat, we've had this one for over 12 years now and I did so much research for the build, parts source etc..

I've found a company now that might be making a drop in adjustable rear cross-member kit with way more adjustment than stock, should be good for these and the Z31.