Infiniti Q60 Project Black S

GranTurismoEra

Project Black S (2020)

220px-Infiniti_Q60_Project_Black_S_-_pra

Infiniti Q60 Project Black S

Project Black S is a concept Q60 developed with Renault Sport Formula One Team. It was unveiled at the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show.It features a Formula One inspired energy regeneration system with a dual motor/generator unit and battery pack. Engine power specifications were not disclosed, however, it is expected to come with the Red Sport 400 engine. The first motor traction motor/generator mounts is attached end of transmission, providing direct power to the rear wheels.

The second motor/generator is attached to the turbocharger, to help spool it up instantly to eliminate turbo lag at lower engine speeds. Once at higher revs, when the exhaust is flowing through the turbine and no longer has lag, it acts as a generator by siphoning off a bit of electricity and sending it to the battery. It is estimated to have an output of 500hp with the V6 engine and two electric motors. It will also feature braking-by-wire, but will ditch the Red Sport’s controversial steering-by-wire system in favour of a motor-driven unit.

however, it isn't expected to go on sale until at least 2020. Possibly the base for the Z35 Nismo. Apologies for my copy paste joby

Edited by GranTurismoEra

For me the current Q60 is a v nearly/ what if car. Mainly the drive by wire steering being a concern. then the ugly rims and lastly dated infotainment system

My only issue with that segment is that a lot of cars are really looking q generic . That said I would like to look at the Q60 side by side with an AMG C Class Coupe 

Edited by hmale4yu

Really like the C63 16 onwards.....but the Japanese design style is just different. A more risk approach with curves, sharp corners and unconventional styling.  Also designed by Alfonso Albaisa. Whos working on new Z and GTR

whereas the Germans prefer a rounded, straight and smooth lines approach. Playing it safer.

An updated infotainment system with improved interior would be good...drive by wire is being removed due to complaints.

Add to that a 500bhp Twin turbo V6 hybrid you got something that could be a hit. Similar tech to the proposed LC500 hybrid

price probably looking at £60,000 for this edition. All speculation and rumours ofcourse. 

Infiniti Sold 10,000 q60 last year in North America. Their highest so far

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

Hate the silly wing and bits on this.  I've only ever driven the 2.0 Q60 and despite its steering it's not bad.  I'm considering a 3.0 when the prices come down as it's a lot of kit and power for the money despite having some flaws (remind you of anything? lol) This one though.. a bit ... boy racer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AMT said:

Hate the silly wing and bits on this.  I've only ever driven the 2.0 Q60 and despite its steering it's not bad.  I'm considering a 3.0 when the prices come down as it's a lot of kit and power for the money despite having some flaws (remind you of anything? lol) This one though.. a bit ... boy racer. 

Ive got the same idea in my head (along with possibly a Corvette Stingray 2014/15 once the new C8 comes out in 2020 - but that's another topic) .

Back to the Q60 the only thing that's putting another doubt in my mind is how may be mistaken for this …. without sounding like a badge snob the last thing I want is someone saying nice Mazda

Untitled.jpg

Edited by hmale4yu
  • Haha 1

And tbf Jaguar do a similar red colour too. 

I think the case of mistaken identity will only occur in the flagship red so getting that colour will be a double edged sword - less likely with black or silver; the latter of which I really like as the chrome parts of the body blend in well. Though the red is more striking I just would be appalled that it could get mistaken for something else

Why you so bothered what others think dude, my 350z got mistaken for many cars, some better some worse, same with my RX7, if people are that uneducated they cant even tell the difference between a Mazda and Infinity i see absolutely no reason why you would hold any regard for what they think.

• Thanks 1

As above, my 350 would sometimes would be called a Porsche... which annoyed me lol I don't mind if its mistaken for the 6....have you seen the new ones? There pretty good lookin' as cars go.. simple and sleek.  I went and seen a 3.0 Q60 at the weekend (to kinda make sure I'm happy to wait instead of financing something just for the hell of it lol)  and I think I'll hold on to see how low they get but I am hearing the odd review about steering in them during wet motorway speeds being twitchy and kicking out...and it being hard to control as no feel in the steering. Slightly concerning lol... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMT said:

As above, my 350 would sometimes would be called a Porsche... which annoyed me lol I don't mind if its mistaken for the 6....have you seen the new ones? There pretty good lookin' as cars go.. simple and sleek.  I went and seen a 3.0 Q60 at the weekend (to kinda make sure I'm happy to wait instead of financing something just for the hell of it lol)  and I think I'll hold on to see how low they get but I am hearing the odd review about steering in them during wet motorway speeds being twitchy and kicking out...and it being hard to control as no feel in the steering. Slightly concerning lol... 

Whats your opinion on the rims - do they suit the car or would you replace? Stateside people seem to put Vossens on them which seem to suit the car well

Also your opinion on the infotainment system? Is it that bad

On 25/09/2018 at 23:53, hmale4yu said:

Whats your opinion on the rims - do they suit the car or would you replace? Stateside people seem to put Vossens on them which seem to suit the car well

Also your opinion on the infotainment system? Is it that bad

Not so fussed on the rims on this concept thing as who knows what it'll wear if they do decide to build it (they have a habit of not doing so with their concepts..). I am not a fan of the standard Q60 rims and its a shame we don't get the nicer 20's here that the US gets.  I spent 5 years in a Z with no sat nav or infotainment thingy...and same with any car before it.  I've had plenty of Infiniti courtesy cars so any modern system is better than no system, it wouldn't concern me all this two screen stuff. it works well enough.

4 hours ago, AMT said:

Not so fussed on the rims on this concept thing as who knows what it'll wear if they do decide to build it (they have a habit of not doing so with their concepts..). I am not a fan of the standard Q60 rims and its a shame we don't get the nicer 20's here that the US gets.  I spent 5 years in a Z with no sat nav or infotainment thingy...and same with any car before it.  I've had plenty of Infiniti courtesy cars so any modern system is better than no system, it wouldn't concern me all this two screen stuff. it works well enough.

Yes the 20" rims for the 2018 Q60 in USA look q nice. Tbh I think this car had potential to really launch Infiniti in the UK. It is no longer on my shortlist of potential future cars unfortunately 

infiniti-q60-20-inch-5-spoke-dual-finish-aluminum-alloy-wheels-small.jpg

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 22:46, AMT said:

This might sound hard to believe but I've had 2 people say that from the front the Nismo has a Ferrari look to it (!) and that that if in red it would have that resemblance lol I do not se it myself but the front head lights when viewed from the side have a very sporty look compared to the TT and many other cars on the road 

Back to the Q60 and from the Paris Motor show it appears that the Q60s Concept is still a concept. It's still loaded with tech such as drive by wire  braking in addition to drive by wire steering . I have started to lose hope in the Infiniti brand tbh. Im starting to think that the Lexus RCF is better proposition on the 2nd hand market (thought Im not convinced by the carbon edition). Dare I say it but the Kia Stinger seems to be less flawed than the Q60 3.0. Your thoughts?

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 23:45, hmale4yu said:

Im starting to think that the Lexus RCF is better proposition on the 2nd hand market (thought Im not convinced by the carbon edition). Dare I say it but the Kia Stinger seems to be less flawed than the Q60 3.0. Your thoughts?

Lexus, very ugly and very heavy.

Kia Stinger, you were worried about people mistaking a car for a Mazda and you are asking about a Kia.

Its been asked before, what do you actually want out of a car, or are you just wanting to looking for pose value, genuine question? Are you at all interested in performance, chassis etc, what boxes do you want ticking in which order?

On 05/10/2018 at 23:45, hmale4yu said:

This might sound hard to believe but I've had 2 people say that from the front the Nismo has a Ferrari look to it (!) and that that if in red it would have that resemblance lol I do not se it myself but the front head lights when viewed from the side have a very sporty look compared to the TT and many other cars on the road 

Back to the Q60 and from the Paris Motor show it appears that the Q60s Concept is still a concept. It's still loaded with tech such as drive by wire  braking in addition to drive by wire steering . I have started to lose hope in the Infiniti brand tbh. Im starting to think that the Lexus RCF is better proposition on the 2nd hand market (thought Im not convinced by the carbon edition). Dare I say it but the Kia Stinger seems to be less flawed than the Q60 3.0. Your thoughts?

From years of messing around with the cars they've gave me as its where I took the Z for servicing etc, I grew to like the cars (except silly ones like the Q30... nice but I just, I dunno..no thanks lol).  There is something there with Infiniti and sometimes its hard to justify.  The looks are getting better and its always better to be unique, the interior quality reviews it gets, moan at it but tbh... its a lovely place to be in most of them, leather, piano black, some nice modern woodish tones... you'd be fine with them.  But then they go and hold themselves back a bit with engines that are a bit slower than rivals, and when they are quicker there fuel economy and tax is much higher than others, which can be off putting.

However... if you look at it from a used bargain perspective they can make sense.  If your not too fussed on some of the running costs they can be a lot of car for the money (Q70 when tarted up with the big wheels is a nice big barge to be in).  This is why I am sitting waiting over the next couple of year (short of nearly considering an auto 370Z very recently :bounce: ) to see how the 3.0 Q60's fair. Basically I'm hoping they drop like a stone and if they do into the low 20's with reasonable mileage, I'll be seriously looking at them. 400+hp and AWD in a low price.  And when you've came from a Z, £300ish tax and late 20mpg...is fine by me lol.

Only thing that bothers me is the steering, I can live with the lightness... but I keep hearing reviews of it being twitchy and some have had dangerous experiences in wet conditions trying to counter steer (although they may just be a bit crap at driving who knows).  I'd prob want to test a Q60 3.0 for a good run before considering.  Besides that it'd be a nice used powerhouse. I do think however with them and some other manufacturers with all this new technology and electric crap... yes I do says crap.. its just something more complicated to break...or rather more expensive to fix. 

With regards to others the Stingers a good looking car and seems to get great reviews, I'd happily have one....IF ..I wanted a saloon but I don't. I'd like a coupe/GT thing. The Lexus does look ok to me (if not a bit bulky) however the RCF is heavy and slower than expected by a good margin, its also still quite expensive used for the poor effort.  And I also looked at the lower end thinking they'd have a 300 odd bhp one but no... you either get the big thirsty V8 or.... the 300h and 200T...both of which are 7/8 second 'wonders' respectively. For the money they are slow under powered, especially with their weight.  Lexus have missed the shot with the RC coupe's I think. Real shame.

Infiniti really need to sort out that steering and then make a super powerful Q60 or the likes. They should have developed the Eau Rouge concept to production too, that would have got some people interested.

....oh and yes the 370Z Nismo Mk2 in red does look very different to most other sports cars on the road so does give a bit of supercar presence ....to an extent. Mk2's look the business IMO. 

Edited by AMT
  • Like 2