Paddle shifters

z350convert

I am thinking about upgrading from my 350z to a 370z at some point.

As an "old school" driver and avid double de clutches/ heel and tower I never thought I would say this but I quite fancy an  automatic because of the paddle shift option and the rev match gizmo. I have no experience of these but I had a few laps in a Ferrari with paddle shift the other day and thought it was good fun.

Would I get bored with it and miss the manual change? Is there a down side to this transmission? Do they all have rev match?

Answers from the knowledgable would be very welcome.

Thanks

Drive one first, but be aware that the slush 'box in the 370 isn't remotely close in speed to the 458 or 488. Bearing in mind the manual has rev-matching, if that's what you want it for then that may be a better option.

I don't dislike auto boxes with paddle shift, but it has to be the right car personally. I loved my 911 which was PDK and tbh I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't want an automatic Elise. Half of the joy of the 370 is the fact it's so old school, so I'd have to stay manual on that one. But hey, try them both and see :) 

Hopefully some 370 auto box owners can fill you in on the details but as someone who has always had manual cars for over 2 decades and am now in an auto I'd say you have to really give it a try.

Personally I am loving it in my M135i and don't miss doing manual changes with a clutch at all. Makes the daily drive to work feel effortless and when I want to go full throttle I can use the paddles if I like for lightning fast gear changes. B)  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GMballistic said:

Hopefully some 370 auto box owners can fill you in on the details but as someone who has always had manual cars for over 2 decades and am now in an auto I'd say you have to really give it a try.

Personally I am loving it in my M135i and don't miss doing manual changes with a clutch at all. Makes the daily drive to work feel effortless and when I want to go full throttle I can use the paddles if I like for lightning fast gear changes. B)  

Thanks for comments above. I will try one out for sure and see, my feelings are to give it a go provided the gear changes are not too lazy.. I've seen loads of YouTube stuff of adolescent Americans raving about them but most of them can't drive anyway.

Any reliability issues?

I drive hire cars all the time for work and try all sorts of auto boxes and to be honest the 370z auto is not as bad as some people would have you believe, unless your comparing them with modern super cars. 

• Thanks 1

Depends what driving you do,i had a GT Edition auto and loved it after having it a while.In auto it was great for the usual traffic jam town driving and the paddles great for the open road.However as previously stated you cant expect it to be like a GTR  or similar cars as it's not in their price range.Extended test drive if you can get one is a good idea.According to Auto Express the auto model "numbs the driving experience" I didn't find that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just moved from a 350 HR which I had for 5 years to a 370 black edition auto and it is awesome, great gearbox for an auto. Not as quick as a a proper robotic manual DCT, DSG etc but not far off. 

1 hour ago, N4eay said:

Not as quick as a a proper robotic manual DCT, DSG etc but not far off. 

Neither of those gearboxes are robotised manuals: They're dual-clutch gearboxes. The SMG and F1 'boxes are robotised manuals.

I would say it all depends on your driving op, its a daily or strictly weekend toy, if its a weekend toy are you just taking it out for spirited blasts on a and b roads or days out to a destination, weekends away etc, any serious track time planned.

Agreeing and disagreeing with Ekona and using his example, its a 370z, not an Elise, i really dont think the driving experience is going to be that enhanced by having a manual, for me it would be quite the opposite. 

You are on the right track though with the advise above, only you can tell from driving which will or wont suit.