21mph over the limit

Stu R

I had a nice letter waiting for me this morning from Merseyside Police saying I got caught doing 61mph in a 40 limit.

I've already sat a speed awareness course to get me out of some previous points, and I can't sit another of these within two years of eachother.

Can anyone tell me what I am likely to recieve after I send this NIP off? I'm hoping for 3 points and a small fine, although do you think it will be more being that it is quite a bit over the limit (6 points + fine?)

i feel for you man, its easy done :headhurt:

What are the guidelines on speed that decide whether you get a fixed penalty or a summons.

The current guidelines from the Association of Chief Police officers (ACPO) are:

So up to 79mph you should be just told off, 79-95mph is a fixed penalty and 96mph+ is a mandatory summons to appear in court.

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/FAQ/FAQ.htm

so from this it looks like over 66mph in a 40mph speed limit would get you a summons, so its probably 3 points and £60 fine

I know, from experience that:

0-9mph over the limit is a discretionary warning/speed awareness course

10-19mph is 3 points and usually a £80 fine

20-29mph is 6 points and usually a £80 fine.

30+mph is a certain ban and/or points and/or a fine via a court appearance.

I got done at 101mph on the M6 on my way to the NW run a few years back and got a 21 day ban and £300 fine but no points.

21 mph over the limit will be 3/6 points a £80 fine but no court summons. :blush:

Each county can alter any of the above at their discretion :dry:

Very true, I got caught doing 106mph on a 70mph dual-carriageway and only got 3pts and £60. That was getting stopped by proper police officers at the time though and not via a letter through the door a few days later. Had that been the case I've no doubt I'd have been hauled up before the courts.

Nightmare! Where were you done?

It was on Speke road coming down from Aigburth... do you know that retail park on Speke road? It was just as you come into view of that before the set of traffic lights, he was sat in one of those mobile speed camera vans.

Thanks for the responses though, it's at their discretion as to what punishment I deserve I suppose, fingers crossed for the 3 points/fine then. Anything more would push my insurance through the roof :(

It was on Speke road coming down from Aigburth... do you know that retail park on Speke road? It was just as you come into view of that before the set of traffic lights, he was sat in one of those mobile speed camera vans.

Thanks for the responses though, it's at their discretion as to what punishment I deserve I suppose, fingers crossed for the 3 points/fine then. Anything more would push my insurance through the roof :(

For me the ban turned out to be the best thing for me. i had 3 points and 6 points would of took me to 9 points. The 'Totting up' rules comes in at 12 points and is an immediate 6 month ban. I would of had to drive about for over two years on 9 points and in danger of another 3 points getting me a 6 month ban. As it happened, on renewal, my insurance ignored my ban as it was under 1 month in length. My remaining 3 points drop off in september and will then have a clean license pointswise which could of been very different had they stuck me with the points. :blush:

They do like to target Aigburth Road/Speke Boulevard. I presume this was in the day.

many years ago i got stopped for doing 99.62mph on a dual carriageway, got 6 points and a £180 quid fine, didn't have to go to court just pleaded guilty by post (got stopped by 2 coppers in a volvo estate :blush:)

it was in a 1.4 pug 106 roland garros :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Good news Stu, I am watching the letterbox for the next few weeks, got a little excited on the way back from Donny yesterday and think I may have had my picture taken :blush:

I hate that feeling of "was I or wasn't I" makes me so anxious :headhurt:

Good news Stu, I am watching the letterbox for the next few weeks, got a little excited on the way back from Donny yesterday and think I may have had my picture taken :blush:

hope they take longer than 2 weeks to send u the letter then tell em to sling it

or get a dr's note saying you had an emergency and had to get to hospital quick :D

leniency might be in order

hope they take longer than 2 weeks to send u the letter then tell em to sling it

or get a dr's note saying you had an emergency and had to get to hospital quick :D

normally youl get a letter in 3 days.............. :dry:

It was from a van parked at the side of an overpass. About a mile down the road there were 4 police volvos parked up. I am hoping it was a registration check as they didnt pull me.

no need for them to pull you.................. they know everything about you from your reg............ :surrender:

normally youl get a letter in 3 days.............. :dry:

sometimes they hand deliver it to u on the same day because its money coming in

:p