Aftermarket LSD advice please

350_Jer

I'm going to be after an upgraded LSD for my Zed soon once my tax rebate comes in, I'm not sure which one to go for.

Car is used for trackdays mainly and for a bit of fun, so definitely not a daily driver so not worried about some extra noise/wheel hopping on tight slow corners. Engine is standard at the moment bar a few bolt-ons, but will be supercharging it towards the end of this year. Suspension is fully polybushed, got BC racing coilovers and am fitting SPC adjustable arms front and rear at the moment.

I've been reading posts on here and I'm leaning towards a Kaaz 1.5 super Q, but also have got an eye on the Quaife ATB and the Nismo pro 1.5. Any pros/cons to each?

Also was wondering about changing the final drive ratio for something with a bit more acceleration whilst the diff's apart, a 3.9 or 4.08, but a bit worried this would mean some frantic gear changing once it's supercharged! I've seen some posts saying 1st gear would be almost redundant.

And finally, is there anyone around the Bristol/South West area who is recommended to fit the LSD unit to the casing, including setting it up, changing any bearings/shims etc that need doing.

Thanks! :)

I will second the kaaz, i have the 2-way. I was considering the final drive swap as well but didnt do it. If its a track car then go for it, you will get the most out of the full set of gears. Otherwise 6th is redundant. If its a daily/commuter car best keeping final drive to keep revs and fuel use down in motorway. 

I have a spare std diff and housing if you want to build it off the car. 

I'd stick with a plate type lsd for a rear wheel drive car, you can change ramp angles and pre-loads etc if you wanted to at a later date. quaife is great but I'd use that in front wheel drive though (as I did in my old astra gte)

My car gets used for track days and road trips as far as south of France for holidays, I have the os giken super lock in my car and its a great, silent in operation and gives loads more traction out the corners on road and track. I also have a 3.9 FD fitted and again great on track but not too short for road use or cruising very long distance either. Think the 3.9 would be great if you do go super charged later too

I run a Kaaz 2 way in my track 350Z and it is superb.

I also have a spare Kaaz 2 way that has not done a lot of miles which will be for sale shortly.

I can set it up at 50% - 60% - 80% or 100% lock for you.

I run mine at 60%

It can come with or without side bearings.

If you want it all set up and installed into a pumpkin, then I can also do that for you so that all you have to do is install the complete diff unit to the car.

Just drop me a PM if of interest to you.

42 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

I run a Kaaz 2 way in my track 350Z and it is superb.

I also have a spare Kaaz 2 way that has not done a lot of miles which will be for sale shortly.

I can set it up at 50% - 60% - 80% or 100% lock for you.

I run mine at 60%

It can come with or without side bearings.

If you want it all set up and installed into a pumpkin, then I can also do that for you so that all you have to do is install the complete diff unit to the car.

Just drop me a PM if of interest to you.

That's your best bet op bosh it straight up built up by Alex who knows his stuff :thumbs:

Ive had 1.5 way and 2 way on cars and Kaaz, Quaife, Nismo, Cusco, Weldo .......... the Kaaz is a fine product, no doubt but its a bit noisy and clunky compared to the Nismo, the Nismo is a lot easier to adjust as well. 

Quaife works in a different way and feels different too, not my cup of tea but each to their own.
By no means am I saying to avoid the Kaaz but the Nismo IMO is a better diff, Id lean towards a 1.5 over a 2 way for a streetcar as well :)