StarTrek and Expanse

gangzoom

ST:D is getting worse as the weeks go on. Magic Space Bear cannot be replicated by any other species in the database, but then the engineer gives it a go and manages to not only figure out how to control FTFTL travel but also survives with no obvious injuries at all. 

Then Magic Space Bear removes 99% of water from his body, is shot into space (where there is no water at all) and suddenly puffs himself back up again. It’s just absolute nonsense, and spoils everything else they’re trying to achieve. 

Don’t even get me started on a Klingon captain raping a prisoner... 

So yes magic space bear is a bit far fetched...but hey what about Tribbles nearly taking out the Enterprise.

I actually watched some of Into Darkness again the other day, it popped up on Netflix and its hilarious just how daft and dumbed down it is. Aside from Kirk basically doing naff all and showing nothing but irresponsibility and lack of any sort of leadership all we get is 20 minutes of Pike seeing the potential? Really? Where? And of course the baddie, Khan, stop me if I am wrong but Khan as in Khan Singh, doesn't lend itself as a name that typifies posh white kid from Berkshire? Who on earth was trying to pull the wool over our eyes casting Cumberbatch as an Indian character? This is the same Khan who had regenerative blood in Into Darkness that saves Kirk, but that character also existed in the old timeline as he is over 300 years old, yet old Khan didnt have magic blood back then. Even the end of the movie, Khan is running away from Spock, why? Earlier in the film he took down a whole platoon of Klingons, lasers bounced off him, the guy is super human and unknockoutable, yet Spock chases him and suddenly can beat him up. It just goes on and on...:wacko:

Yes Magic Bear annoys, but hey the rest of it is a gritty hard story with a lot less far fetched trash that you see in the new movies ;)

10 hours ago, Ekona said:

ST:D is getting worse as the weeks go on. Magic Space Bear cannot be replicated by any other species in the database, but then the engineer gives it a go and manages to not only figure out how to control FTFTL travel but also survives with no obvious injuries at all. 

Then Magic Space Bear removes 99% of water from his body, is shot into space (where there is no water at all) and suddenly puffs himself back up again. It’s just absolute nonsense, and spoils everything else they’re trying to achieve. 

Don’t even get me started on a Klingon captain raping a prisoner... 

but 'magic bear' is capable of inter dimensional travel so water could have come from anywhere.

Sometimes you need to give the writers some slack and just go with it.

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Bet you still watch the next episode though :lol:

Of course :lol:

I don't think it's a particularly good story at all right now tbh. I'm not really even sure what the story is if I'm honest, aside from there's now a war with the Klingons and they need this magical spore tech to win it, even though we know that magical spore tech doesn't exist by the time TOS starts. I guess my biggest problem is that the characters simply aren't strong enough: The only one who has anything unique about him is the tall grey guy with tentacles behind his ears. Everyone else is instantly forgettable or generic. You certainly couldn't say that for any of the cast of the previous series apart from ENT, and that wasn't great either.

It feels like it desperately needs some single story episodes that focus on each main character, to properly introduce us to them. Give me some reason I should care about them, because right now I couldn't give a toss if any of them get killed off.

Hmmm maybe, but then its a whole new world, spending too much time on one character each episode means it would have no context. The way I have seen it is first couple of episodes setting up this new universe and main participants/motives, then a focus on Michael as the core element of the story - then bringing the captain into the storyline more (and we are still trying to work this guy out not sure if we should be backing him or not). It certainly doesn't have that in your face here are the 5 main people, one is a doctor and does doctor stuff, one is a vulcan with no emotion and does 1st officer stuff, one is a mad human captain and does mad captain stuff and so on, those are pretty predictable, I like the fact we are still working through this lot.

And now I'm singing the song from Aladdin. Cheers Col. :boxing:

Nah, I liked it when they used to spend the first 6-8 episodes of the series on each character. It let them get the boring stuff out of the way so we could get onto the proper stories. I'd rather see some singular episodes than just more of one arc. Mrs Mike can f*** off though, she needs a punch in the face.

I've watched the first double-episode and won't be watching the rest.  Blah blah, Klingons talk too slowly, and what they say is boring.  More excitement needed, some humour for goodess' sake, that's what star trek was always good at.

I don't care about the characters and its way too flimsy.  Someone should have been braver and tried to reinvent the whole idea of a space federation than revamp ST.  And why still all this rubbish about peace and diplomacy?  It's like the liberal hippy times of Captain Pilchard, sorry Picard, again.  I want a series where we are the bad guys and we get away with it without stupid moralistic stuff that has an underlying message of good guys win and life is fair if you are nice to other people - which in the larger scale real world of wars and horrors is plain bullshit.

And no more scripts where a sentence starts with 'When I was a child...' and we get some story that is supposed to make us care about the depth of a 0.5 dimensional character.  Bah. Rubbish.

By the way, I couldn't get into Expanse as I have read the books recently and knew the plot to well. Yes the books get truly, truly weird in a  fun way so knowing that was coming but I'd have to wait for it was too hard.

Edited by Toon Chris

All this time we thought genetically altered humans that live for hundreds of years, or spores that allow ships to travel instantaneously across the galaxy were the ultimate weapon, when in fact it was all along a Dan man-hug. 

I'm a trekkie lol. I feel you need to ditch the original 60s show though if your into the new stuff. The progress made in effects etc mean for me the discovery sits nicely between Enterprise and the new remake films such as into darkness etc. Next gen just about gets away with being further on in the future regarding on screen visuals. The original show serves as a reference point in the time line for characters like spock and his dad.

Discovery is dark but PC so more relevant and appealing to a new generation of fans. I like it. Expanse I need to watch again from the start as I've forgotten what's happened so far :)