HPI check

Cragus

I work within the motor industry and use Experian. However I'm not sure how much this costs to the public. Should also give you CAP & Glass price guides with the check.

Shows if finance outstanding, if classified as insurance write off, car stats, previous plates assigned to the vehicle, fuel economy, cap & glass price guides, no of owners etc etc

• Like 1

Is it for a car you are buying or selling? Or just a general question?

Reason I ask, if you are buying from a reputable dealer, they will have probably already done an HPI check. How comprehensive it is and whether you trust them is another matter.

Hi mate. Basically I bought a car from a used dealer who used Experian and motors.co.uk for his checks. The car was written off (cat C) 17 months prior to me buying it

A court case later and much help from Dan, I'm now getting compensation

When I made enquiries and gathered my evidence for the case, both Dan and other dealers who helped me said Experian was below par

Not entirely sure what happened in the background with my case- could've have been an ongoing insurance battle which delayed it, could've been the dealer lying about the HPI check, I'm not sure. But with 3 people saying it was crap- that's good enough for me to avoid it

Maybe Dan will share why he thinks they're crap, but if you use them regularly I hope you don't have the same issues we had :thumbs:

It's certainly pointed out cars which have been written off. But as with everything, if it's not declared as a write off, nobody (including HPI) will know it was a write off.

It's only when you get it on the ramps can you see its been in an accident. Most cars have had paintwork in their lifetime and providing its been fixed up, cosmetically you may never know what it's been involved in until you delve into it. By which time it may be too late, granted.