ESP, TCS and ABS lights coming on

Randy_Baton

My ESP, TCS and ABS lights are coming on and staying on. Re-starting the car turns them off but they come on again shortly

Found this thread with pretty much the same problem.

http://www.350z-uk.c...-esp-lights-on/

Only difference is when I turn the car on I can feel a tap through the brake pedal. Would this be caused by low brake fluid? It is due a brake fluid change anyway. I did a reasonably heavy break from ~20mph on an empty road and the brakes felt fine.

My cars parked 5 minutes away and its raining, so I'm trying to trouble shoot now and then I'll check the level next I'm out there.

Is this correct for brake fluids?

Dot 3 or above but Motul RBF 600/660 is recommended and I need 2 liters for a flush and refill

Do i need a flush?

thanks

Edited by Randy_Baton

This helped me in the original post you linked to.

Although a little clean and reattaching sorted my problem initially, the old switch failed a year or two later and I put the new one in.

But definitely try the fluid levels first

The "tap" at the pedal sounds as if the ABS is working constantly, you may want to try cleaning the ABS sensors as I believe they influence the EPS as well. An OBD 2 code would be helpful in isolating the problem.

No, I can't park by my house and i don't drive daily. I've ordered the brake fluid as it needs to be changed anyway, so will check it out at the weekend if I don't get round to it after work.

The "tap" at the pedal sounds as if the ABS is working constantly, you may want to try cleaning the ABS sensors as I believe they influence the EPS as well. An OBD 2 code would be helpful in isolating the problem.

The tap only happens when I turn the engine on and got less sever the closer to home i got. I turned the car off and on at each set of traffic lights. My thinking is that as the brake fluid gets warmer it takes it more volume, so low fluid becomes less of an issue.

I'll be getting a OB2 code when I'm next at the car.

If the fluid was that low wouldn't the level indicator light be on ?

I am new to the 350z but my earlier post was based on my Jaguar XK8 problem so may differ on these cars.

the lfuid level doesnt need to be low to cause this fault , a little below the max line can cause it

Does the driveshafts on the Z have ABS / reluctor rings on them, or is it built into the hub / bearing assembly? From past experience a 'bumping' pedal is usually an obstruction in the air gap of one of the sensors.

So I couldn't resist.

No Odb2 codes

Brake lights work

but....

rMn1LNX.jpg

If I just top this up with the dot 4 I've got coming tomorrow would that be an issue? No idea whats in there at the moment, but presumed as its such a small amount it would be an issue. I'll be booking it in for a full change ASAP, but imagine it'll probably be done next week some time.

Also, whats that smaller bottle to the top of the image? Its on max, possibly even slightly over.

Edited by Randy_Baton

If the fluid was that low wouldn't the level indicator light be on ?

I am new to the 350z but my earlier post was based on my Jaguar XK8 problem so may differ on these cars.

the lfuid level doesnt need to be low to cause this fault , a little below the max line can cause it

Thanks for that, worth remembering , rather defeats the object of a warning light if the system is that sensitive though.

Yes of course that's true, run out of fuel you stop, run out of brake fluid you don't. I think I was wondering why such a small drop in the level should affect the ABS/EPS in such a way as to put the warning lights on for their systems but not the level it self, after all hydraulic brakes are a sealed system so unless there is the danger of allowing air into it by allowing the fluid to get dangerously low, and I am sure there must be a safety margin built into the level indicator, it's a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Although I suppose hard cornering could allow this to happen as the fluid moved about. Just a thought no scientific or special knowledge implied.

Clive

• 2 weeks later...

Brake fluid is topped up, brakes lights are working, no ob2 codes. What next?

The fault lights only kick in medium breaking but once on they stay on. Th fault will trigger from stationary, there doesn't have to be a load on the brakes

What would be causing the brake pedal to knock when I start the engine? If there was air in system would this cause it, the fluid should have been changed in October.

****Edit****

Scrap that its the brake lights, looks to be intermittent.

Would that be causing the pedal knock though?

Edited by Randy_Baton

What code reader have you used? Most cheapo ones will only read engine codes, not ABS, SRS, ESP etc. If it is the low level, although halfway I wouldn't say was low, more than likely your pads are wearing which means the pistons will move out & calipers fill up with more fluid = lower level. Faulty ABS ring / pick up, dirty sensor.