Help: Looking for a 350z (What is the best model?)

Louis

Yeah I've had some huge difficulty looking for one let alone finding one in my budget range. But I was originally considering getting a 2005 FairLady model in pearl white. Considering the colour is so rare to find I'm opening up my options a bit.

Pearl white only came out for 2008 i believe so its not OEM color for a 2005

Could have been an import ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HR much better. And I say that as a former Revup owner (note, Revup is the DE facelift and Uprev is a remapping software).

Choices choices 😂 8k can see me in the HR but at around a 90-100k on the clock with full service history etc what's your thoughts

Buy on condition, not mileage. I'd rather a 100k HR for £8K than a 30k DE for £8K.

Was thinking that in the back of my mind but needed the reassurance 😂

This will be my weekend/nurb toy.

Nurb on my list as never done it. I come from racing bikes and I never had a road legal bike to do it on even though I always wanted to do it in a car over a bike strangely thanks for all your replies buddy

• Like 1

I'd say for mod purchases, DE is probably the one for you. Mine reached over 300bhp after mods and has been a great learning experience along the way. And fun too.

Or Rev-up...for the money you have to spend...its a bit of DE and a bit of HR. As said, interior is slightly better in the HR but not that much. HR is the more powerful but performance is very similar. HR generally burns more oil, but has better headlights. HR revs higher, DE is cheaper on tax...its all horses for courses really.

• Like 2

Hr is the one to get if you can find one. Stronger, sharper and revs more freely than the de. Basically closer to a 370z engine than they are a de. Also buying a slightly higher mileage car that has got the correct service history over a low mileage one that has done slow short runs all its life with minimal servicing would be the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hr is the one to get if you can find one. Stronger, sharper and revs more freely than the de. Basically closer to a 370z engine than they are a de. Also buying a slightly higher mileage car that has got the correct service history over a low mileage one that has done slow short runs all its life with minimal servicing would be the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry yet again I have to disagree with the word "stronger". :)

As what was essentially a test bed for the 370 engine they are full of faults and design flaws. Once these have been rectified however they are the better car. Engine feels smoother for sure, it's just a shame the weight increased with the HR lump and all those "improvements ;) "are negated to give as near as damn it the same performance as a Revup.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Kangaroos. Slave in bell housing. Still suffer from all the previous suspension issues of the DE.

Basically my point obviously is that a later car should improve on previous gen vehicles not add more issues.

Like I said once issues are sorted they are the better car. I nearly bought one based on the dipstick alone :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

Kangaroos? Suspension issues of the DE?

Slave cylinder siting in the bell housing isn't a fault as such, it's just where they chose to put it. Which isn't a great place for access, so I'll give you that one :lol:

Heavy cars all variants and suspension knocks must by far be the most discussed tech topic I've read on here :)

The kangaroo refers to the lumpy lurching characteristic in traffic which is sorted easily with a map.

Maybe I'm just a victim of negative forum posts as people rarely post if the car is running nicely.

I suppose it's the same elsewhere, I was looking at Caymans/Boxsters but was scared off by the IMS bearing issue. Then I started looking at Elise S1 and early S2 models and found the K series were prone to head gasket failure.

Lol the Internet is a great resource but it does beef up the negatives even though it's probably a minute percentage.

I suppose the bottom line is have a slush fund just in case and enjoy the car.

Ignore everything I've said in previous posts :)

Well this is a bit odd, normally it's me being the negative one on the 350Zs :lol: :lol:

I've never had any kangarooing issues on the HR, and there's no real suspension issues outside what you'd find on anything else of a similar weight (Porsches have the coffin arms, for example). I agree with the slush fund just in case though, always a good idea :thumbs:

• Like 1

Heavy cars all variants and suspension knocks must by far be the most discussed tech topic I've read on here :)

The kangaroo refers to the lumpy lurching characteristic in traffic which is sorted easily with a map.

Maybe I'm just a victim of negative forum posts as people rarely post if the car is running nicely.

I suppose it's the same elsewhere, I was looking at Caymans/Boxsters but was scared off by the IMS bearing issue. Then I started looking at Elise S1 and early S2 models and found the K series were prone to head gasket failure.

Lol the Internet is a great resource but it does beef up the negatives even though it's probably a minute percentage.

Yep because your not biased at all owning a DE, just read all your comments on this post, HR is a better car all round, it's the natural progression of a vehicle although you seem to think that Nissan have clearly gone backwards. When have you ever seen the HR with issues of burning oil ??? You will find this is the DE rev-up. Only negative to the HR is the oil gallery gasket issue.

DE gearbox is like chocolate although you will probably disagree and say it's still better than the HR box ???

Like you have said the Internet is a great resource so use it next time before making yourself look silly.

Hell its not just cars, I've worked in the service industry all my life, people are quick to moan and slow to praise. But just for Zeezeebaba, mine runs like a dream and aside fuel and mods, costs me little.

• Like 2

So Louis, now that youre probably now TOTALLY confused, which are you going for lol!...at the end of the day, buy the best for your money, DE, Rev-up and HR are all great cars...theres not much wrong with any of them, all have their niggles but most are small issues and overall these are pretty bullet proof motors...just take your time and get a member to go view the car with you if possible...most will im sure, if its reasonably local to them! Good luck!

• Like 2

Yep because your not biased at all owning a DE, just read all your comments on this post, HR is a better car all round, it's the natural progression of a vehicle although you seem to think that Nissan have clearly gone backwards. When have you ever seen the HR with issues of burning oil ??? You will find this is the DE rev-up. Only negative to the HR is the oil gallery gasket issue.

DE gearbox is like chocolate although you will probably disagree and say it's still better than the HR box ???

Like you have said the Internet is a great resource so use it next time before making yourself look silly.

Woah ease up son, I like them all. Mine is a c**p early DE. I've also said the HR engine is smoother more than once lol. I test drove several HRs one had only 8k.I only rejected it because buying the Z was my first attempt at modding :)

I would have blown my budget on the purchase alone ;)

My rubbish project burns no oil whatsoever and is on 97k now, gearbox is smooth even with a short shift kit, although I've always used molyslip on oil changes.

I've also stated to the OP that condition within budget is the most important factor.

So no I'm not biased at all I just take umbridge to words like "superior" or "stronger" being used to describe a car that clearly isn't especially from an ownership proposition on a limited budget for a potential new owner.

I'm also basing my comments on the issues reported on this very forum, issues I would have probably worried about as an owner of an HR should I have purchased one.

It's all about having the budget to fix potential issues rather than buying a car you can't run because you've blown all your cash in the purchase.

Just trying to help, I certainly don't think I've made myself look stupid. All the Zs are great cars for the money and we established that early on for the OP.

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 1

Also, not all Rev-ups burn oil, mine is on 126k, uses no oil, has no rust, or knocks. All cars have the potential for gemlins and niggles. Like Zippypoos says, all are great cars, and if they've been cared for previously you cant go wrong. Whenever I buy a car I offer to pay for a years MOT before final sale, at a national garage, rather than one the seller is 'in' with. For £30 you get a years mot and a fairly decent inspection.

• Like 1

Stick with a zed!!!...any of them!...Here's a list of the most unreliable cars and average costs to fix the particular problem...

1 - Alfa Romeo - 40 per cent breakdown rate - £355 average payout claim

2 - Porsche - 36 per cent breakdown rate - £1,020 average payout claim

3 - Land Rover - 34 per cent breakdown rate - £510 average payout claim

4 - Chrysler - 26 per cent breakdown rate - £475 average payout claim

5 - Mercedes - 25 per cent breakdown rate - £560 average payout claim

6 - Jaguar - 23 per cent breakdown rate - £440 average payout claim

7 - Lexus - 22 per cent breakdown rate - £470 average payout claim

8 - BMW - 16 per cent breakdown rate - £610 average payout claim

9 - Volvo - 16 per cent breakdown rate - £465 average payout claim

10 - Citroen - 15 per cent breakdown rate - £363 average payout claim The common faults were topped by axle, suspension and electrical problems.

On the other end of the scale the most reliable motors were made by Honda, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota - which had just a 3-6 per cent chance of breaking down, with repairs costing on average less than any of the top 10 worst performers...Buy a Suzuki Louis! :lol:

Stick with a zed!!!...any of them!...Here's a list of the most unreliable cars and average costs to fix the particular problem...

10 - Citroen - 15 per cent breakdown rate - £363 average payout claim The common faults were topped by axle, suspension and electrical problems.

On the other end of the scale the most reliable motors were made by Honda, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota - which had just a 3-6 per cent chance of breaking down, with repairs costing on average less than any of the top 10 worst performers...Buy a Suzuki Louis! :lol:

Who'd have thought Alpha would be at the top :lol: . The only reason they're a pleasure to drive is the excitement that it works for once.
  • Like 2

Who'd have thought Alpha would be at the top :lol: . The only reason they're a pleasure to drive is the excitement that it works for once.

:lol::stir:

As said if you find a well looked after Z of any type or mileage then you won't have any regrets.

Personally I will always go for a de as I like tuning/modifying (seems to be more support for de and cheaper mods compared to the hr) so its better for myself to pay less on the car itself and then spend more getting it to what I like its a hobby and its fun. Just now I could of had a mint hr from what I have spent but what's the point when I wouldn't have done anything too it.

• Like 2