Underbody Rust Opinion

Colin747

Had a look under my Z (2003 ~100k) when it was getting aligned and there seems to be quite a bit of rust. It looks quite bad to me but would like a more informed opinion rather than paranoia.

6WRNllg.jpg

LyN1Qa7.jpg

jK6hs7o.jpg

FGavPnl.jpg

WBTXtzp.jpg

9R039ws.jpg

Edited by Colin747

Hi Colin, That looks like any other Z at that age - it's all surface rust. I would recommend undersealing it. Wax oil under seal has rust inhibitors. The brace bar needs replaced as it is rotten.

Edited by colesl4w

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could take most of that stuff off and inspect it properly. Replace with better parts from the breakers, or new if needs be.

I prefer POR15 rather than Waxoil but anything like that will be better than leaving it alone. Worth using some of the Bilt Hamber products for rust removal too.

If you wouldn't mind sticking some photo's up if you get the chance of before and after that would be much appreciated. I'm trying to contact places in a panic about getting it sorted, hate rust with an absolute passion.

Just as a point of note it's also worth checking behind the wing mirror housings for rot.

Rear arches too. Its a pain of you can't under easily. I wire brushed under mine a week ago and undersealed it.