Bumper full respray

Hofner

Hello,

had a full bumper respray done as had scrapes & scratches, but, has come back different shade, respray is darker, it is a gun metal 2004, do you think they have used correct WV2 paint code? is it darker because of age of car?

do I take it back and ask for it to be colour matched & done again?

any thoughts appreciated,

F813aA6.jpg

FJa3p9R.jpg

Very hard to get a perfect colour match - also the bumper is "plastic" the bit above is metal so they take paint slightly different even if sprayed together, front bumper is plastic bonnet ally and wings mild steel so they can change shades as you move round the car at different angles, on top of that the paint on the car will have faded due to age/sunlight etc.

You could have it blended but a perfect match will always be a problem I'm sorry to say :(

• Like 1

OK, thanks for info, did think it would be a difficult match, what would they blending involve? does it look like correct WV2 shade? as rest of car is a lot lighter, still thinking of taking it back,

F5sC4lB.jpg

66BjEMg.jpg

Keyser is spot on with regard to matching etc, you got to remember your paintwork has had 10 plus years exposed to sun etc so very difficult to get exact, however, there are often more than one shades within one code, so thats the first thing I would check as that does look very off. I had some bits sprayed on my gunmetal zed, if you looked hard you could see but nothing like yours which sadly stands out like a sore thumb, blending will only make a difference if its closer to start.

Edited by Jetpilot

I've had my blade silver resprayed in a few locations and a couple of times the people have specifically told me that there were a number of different color combinations brought back by the one code. It seemed a bit odd, but I've been told them same things by multiple garages. They sprayed a bit of each onto some test strips and held it against the car to get the right mix. One of the garages showed me the test pieces and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between them.

I've not heard of anybody respraying a whole panel without blending it into the surrounding areas. although in your case the colour difference looks too great.

How much did you pay?

I can't believe the paint shop had the balls to hand the car back to you like that? I assume the rest of the car was there and they haven't just sent you the bumper back? The only excuse is if you have said to them not to blend or you have haggled for the cheapest job possible. That paint match isn't even close. I don't care if the rest of the car has aged 1000 years, that is absolutely shocking. Get on to them (Politely) and ask them to redo it.

• Like 4

Did you give them the paint code to use or did they get it themselves from the vin plate, if you told them the code, you dont really have any come back if its the wrong one.

I just dropped off car at bodyshop and left it with them to spray, didnt get asked about what paint code it was

:thumbs:

I was going to say that with paint you very much get what you pay for. Generally speaking the cheaper it is the worse the job and this kind of thing is to be expected. However if this was through the insurance then I certainly would expect it to be alot better than that!! Did the insurance pick the garage or did you?

Not sure how it works but you may be able to supply your insurance company with the pictures and explain to them that the paint is a completely different colour and see if they can arrange the correct shade or a more reputable bodyshop.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

If it's an insurance job, then you absolutely have to complain. I bet they've charged a fortune for that work knowing that you didn't have to pay for it. I'd call the garage today and explain the situation and see if they will rectify, otherwise go to your insurance and explain that you aren't happy with the work and it needs redoing. You can't settle for how it is at the moment. :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did you give them the paint code to use or did they get it themselves from the vin plate, if you told them the code, you dont really have any come back if its the wrong one.

Id have laughed if id taken mine to get it resprayed and id had to give them the paintcode!

Always thought it was gunmetal, will check vin,

I just dropped off car at bodyshop and left it with them to spray, didnt get asked about what paint code it was

Shouldnt matter WHAT colour it is, the colour should match end of. Poor workmanship to let it go out like that...didnt they say anything?

Painting single element will always result in 98% with different shade or color. Only this is to pain in half of other joining elements to make a change less noticeable

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

It could also be something stupid like using the wrong colour base couldn't it? I'm no painter so I am presuming, when I've looked at buying paint, it tells you on the spec sheets if you should use white, grey, black or red primer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

update on bumper respray, took it back to shop, they accepted it wasn't right straight away (difficult to get match / plastic bumper) and back in for respray, better results now, now looks lighter but much better match than before,

AOcnnmT.jpg

3nfAESk.jpg