Wiring in an oil temperature sensor ? (for the inept)

RobPhoboS

So some bits and pieces turned up today, and I just wanted to ensure I'm going to do this the right way :blush:

Obviously here we have (from top left to right), the instructions, the sensor, a 3/8 to 1/8 converter, the gauge connector and a fuse tap (I'll have to check if I ordered the right size later).

32167512064_8733a6f4a3_b.jpg

So do I connect the red wire to an extension, then into the fuse tap (I'll test which fuse, and which orientation to do it) ?

The green wire to a wire extension to a fork connector onto the sensor.

Where does the black wire go to ? I know it says the negative battery but where do you guys tap it?

The gauge is going to sit in the cubby hole I guess for now.

In the future I may use this on an oil filter sandwich plate rather than the oil pan spacer.

Last question, the oil temp sensor thread is tapered, why is that ?

I've got Loctite 577 for all of the threads if required.

You seem to have it covered -

White conector block into the back of the gauage

Red wire - to an ignition controlled positive sorce via a fuse (so its not on all the time)

Green wire to the sensor

Black wire to earth - any earth point on the car so a bolt under the dash (look for an exsisting earth point)

If you want to add this to the exsisting oil pressure switch you want a "T" Piece so you can fit both

In answer to your last question -

The taper on NPT threads allows them to form a seal when torqued as the flanks of the threads compress against each other, as opposed to parallel/straight thread fittings or compression fittings in which the threads merely hold the pieces together and do not provide the seal.

Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

Ah fantastic, many thanks for writing that up - big help :)

I've got some heat proof aluminium tape for the sensor wire, which hopefully should shield it enough.

With that NPT fitting, I presume hand/spanner tight is enough ?

They will have a set torque but hand tight is enough - if they leak they need a bit more ;) - be careful on ally sumps such as the 350z has you can strip the threads so better to be a bit loose and need a twak (if it leaks) rather than get all manly and strip the threads.

I'm fitting two stack gauges in mine, no wiring with them though, what gauge wire do people recommend?

You really need to know the draw on the circuit but if it helps 1mm wire should be up to that job plenty of info on the web for cable size against current drawn.

for example - http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-sizing-selection.html

:thumbs:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I'll finally be slinging the temp gauge in on Friday evening.

I just wondered 2 more things prior to starting...

Which side of the car should I get the cable running through the firewall (is there one side that's easier?) ?

Where the hell is the hole in the firewall ? :lol:

Still no luck yet, I had a quick look by the battery, I see a big bunch of cables going into a rubber grommet, I'm guessing that's one way into the cabin?

Seemed high up.

If you go that way, remember and seal off the cable entry point on the rubber grommet as any water ingress from the grommet area will drop right on to the ECU.

• Like 1

Still no luck yet, I had a quick look by the battery, I see a big bunch of cables going into a rubber grommet, I'm guessing that's one way into the cabin?

Seemed high up.

If you go that way, remember and seal off the cable entry point on the rubber grommet as any water ingress from the grommet area will drop right on to the ECU.

I'd made this mistake :( didn't seal the rubber grommet that well, caused a flood on the floor. will never make that mistake again.

Sorted !

I ended up going through the big grommet thing by the battery as it was far easier.

Technically I don't think you need to do this part but just in case...

Contort yourself under the passenger dash, take off the 10mm bolt holding the white plastic thing that's blocking your visibility to the main wiring grommet. Unclip the grommet holder from here, you might need someone to turn the grommet from the engine bay side about 90deg.

We pierced the rubber boot with a very thin allen key that was the same thickness as my sensor cable (I bought 5m which was the perfect amount for all wiring), ran it down to my sensor and made sure it's not going to get caught up anywhere.

Back in the cabin I just ran it from under the passenger dash to the side of the stereo and up into the cubby hole.

We had to tap into the cigar lighter as the piggy-back fuse thing was the wrong size. Hopefully that's ok for now, everything seems to work.

:thumbs:

I've just done this the other day. Pretty easy. My tip would be to not remove the grommet, just pierce it and then seal your hole when finished.

I removed the grommet and damaged the clip slightly so stuck some sealant under it for extra reassurance as it wasn't as sturdy as before.e3a138636e89cee5fa7e1d59735ce9b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1