Reverse cam

Drexyl

Hi all. Not sure which forum to put this in, so Mods, feel free to move as you see fit.

I have my car booked in on Thursday to have a new head unit fitted (I.C.E.?), it's on of thos double din, touch screen jobbies. I'm also having a reverse camera fitted and the engineer is going to try and make it as stealth as poss. One option is to fit it behind my square, JDM number plate with the lens occupying some of the "clear" yellow area (i.e. away from numbers/letters). I'm not sure of the legality of tampering with a number plate, though. i figure that if it's positioned well away from the registration it'd be okay, but would affect the MOT for instance?

Any advice would be very welcome, particularly if you definitively know :)

Thanks all

I have seen these done through the number plate before and AFAIK it is fine. The lens will be no bigger than a screw head anyway so if it was positioned centrally at the top or bottom then I think it would be quite stealthy..... :)

It IS a Kenwood unit :D I'm having it fitted with a bluetooth thingy and, as I already said, a reverse cam. I can't wait!

I posted before to ask about the possiblity of connecting a hard drive via the USB port but no-one answered :angry: So I thought I'd go for it anyway. The guys at Turnbulls in Plymouth said that it'd be a real possibility that it'd work okay, so we'll see.

I already have a 250gig Freecom portable HDD which is powered by USB, I'm gonna give that a go, but it's size is a bit of an overkill for the amount of music I have, which would make it kinda expensive (to replace). Flash drives are ok, but they're around £50 for a measley 8gbso I'm lookin' at this little beaut:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516346/M ... oduct.html

whatcha fink?

I don't even wanna consider ebay, far too many fake memory cards and stuff on there. Last year I thought I'd got a really good deal on a 4gb PSP memory card that turned out to be moody. I got a refund after threatening the seller with all sorts of hassle for him, but it made me cautious. I've tried contacting sellers to ask if their products are genuine, and spookily none of them reply :wacko:

I don't even wanna consider ebay, far too many fake memory cards and stuff on there. Last year I thought I'd got a really good deal on a 4gb PSP memory card that turned out to be moody. I got a refund after threatening the seller with all sorts of hassle for him, but it made me cautious. I've tried contacting sellers to ask if their products are genuine, and spookily none of them reply :wacko:

aye but for a tenner it was worth a punt and works great :thumbs:

i use play.com a lot, i like the price you see is the price you pay approach (no hidden p&p)

I cant argue with your reasoning, it does seem to be cheap enough to take the risk. However, if it does go wrong, you've lost all your data and there's no warranty to fall back on. While you can always get another card/drive for a tenner, you can't replace the pics or docs (or even worse, game saves!!! :scare: )you might have stored on it. I know I'll be using mine for music, which is replacable, but it's a collosal pain in the arse to rip all those cd's again :headhurt:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all. Not sure which forum to put this in, so Mods, feel free to move as you see fit.

I have my car booked in on Thursday to have a new head unit fitted (I.C.E.?), it's on of thos double din, touch screen jobbies. I'm also having a reverse camera fitted and the engineer is going to try and make it as stealth as poss. One option is to fit it behind my square, JDM number plate with the lens occupying some of the "clear" yellow area (i.e. away from numbers/letters). I'm not sure of the legality of tampering with a number plate, though. i figure that if it's positioned well away from the registration it'd be okay, but would affect the MOT for instance?

Any advice would be very welcome, particularly if you definitively know :)

Thanks all

Well as far as my limited knowledge runs, i believe that its ok as long as it does not change the way the plate looks, ie if you have the camera showing a little in such a way that it would not reflect correctly, then i believe that it would then be illegal,

if your only using a pin prick type camera which is clearly not visable and does not show any marks on the plate then i guess that would be ok.

Obviously dont quote me if you get tugged or anything ;)

Regards

Nathan@Sumopower

It's done now. The cam is bigger than I thought it'd be, it doubles up as an infra red one at night so it has what looks like leds surrounding the lens.

If it causes any problems for the MOT or the law, I can disconnect it and replace the number plate easily enough. We'll see when I put it in later in the year.

It's done now. The cam is bigger than I thought it'd be, it doubles up as an infra red one at night so it has what looks like leds surrounding the lens.

If it causes any problems for the MOT or the law, I can disconnect it and replace the number plate easily enough. We'll see when I put it in later in the year.

This sounds good - what about some pics? ;)

• 8 months later...

I used to have a rear view camera in my Supra TT car PC.

I drilled a hole through the black letter of the number plate, and positioned the black camera in the black letter. Could only see it if you looked carefully, and it passed its MOT 3 years on the trot.

Next is the Car PC for the 350 :dry: