Well.... the mighty vq is no more :(

dougie350

When all is fine with vq just Google vq35de engine fail...

Vq has been around now 2 decades. All the weak spots have been figured out. We have 3 boosted Z-ed here built on same principle 550 650 and 900 bhp. Never issues with the bearings or rod's or knock knock. Car driven daily, tracked and street raced

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

900hp on stock rods?!

Of course no :o

Engine has been rebuilded. Started with Procharger than moved to Precious turbo 6266, now on size bigger new Precision and high compression pistons aiming for 4 digits HP.

That's why you haven't had problems with rods etc going lol.

When all is fine with vq just Google vq35de engine fail...

Vq has been around now 2 decades. All the weak spots have been figured out. We have 3 boosted Z-ed here built on same principle 550 650 and 900 bhp. Never issues with the bearings or rod's or knock knock. Car driven daily, tracked and street raced

900hp on stock rods?!

Of course no :o

Engine has been rebuilded. Started with Procharger than moved to Precious turbo 6266, now on size bigger new Precision and high compression pistons aiming for 4 digits HP.

That's why you haven't had problems with rods etc going lol.

What I mention b4 nothing strange for stock vq to burst in racing application.

All this "VQ's fail a lot" I think is relative - RB's, SR's and LS fail more on track, even JZ's die. Anyway, if you can Id stay NA for better throttle response, the UZ is a good engine but IMO needs FI to see the figures to justify an engine swap, specially if youre already at arond 300hp.

Will probably take some fab work but have you considered an M62, or even better an S65? M62's can be picked up for next to nothing and show better figures than a UZ, theres an adaptor plate available for the gearbox too ....... SBC is a lot cheaper than LS too, you can get engine for £500 easily.

If you could find a VQ37 that could be interesting :)

• Like 1

Very different driving experiences, only you will know what you prefer.

A turbo spinning may seem like winning, but life is great with a V8 ;)

I would just add this for v8

Big displacement with good breathing is just the right starting point for charging :lol:

As the saying goes....there's no replacement for displacement, however you can do the same with FI or good volumetric efficiency,

BUT the low down and wide spread of torque from a big displacement motor is as nice if not better than the turbo rush IMO,

and my personal favorite...........BHP is how fast you go, but torque is how fast you get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Big oops dougie on the fuel, but you will also want an oil temp gauge and decent size cooler. The VQ runs hot let alone when drifting where there less air being pushed through.

I garuantee you'll have been hitting well over 120-130 degrees temps so no matter how often you change the oil after, during drifting is when it's thinned out massively and stopped being effective.

Also like others have said, a baffled sump will help / can argue its nessesary. I watched some of my in-car footage back the other day and saw my oil pressure gauge (stock, I know isn't the most accurate), dropping down when sliding, this was at high revs and not so high oil temps so is certainly due to the oil moving away from the sump pick-up.

I would VQ it again. The noise is great and as you've said the power is ok, enough for what you need. Pricing up other options may be cheaper for the engine only but then associated parts will add up to convert.

On the viscosity definitely go up to a 5w-40, anything to help with lubrication at higher temps. Plus if you can the race spec ester oils like Fuchs can hold a slightly higher temperature without breaking down compared to standard fully synthetics. That being said now I've got a cooler and few other things I've gone back to using a cheaper fully syn oil (mobil1), and just doing more regular changes, as the Fuchs stuff is too expensive for me to do as regular as I want.

Edited by cascade88