Steering Wheel Cover?

Strudul

Not a massive fan of the Zeds steering wheel - it's too hard and not quite thick enough.

Rather than fork out a load for a new wheel, I was thinking of just getting a cover for it. There seems to be 2 types; a "glove" that you just stretch over the wheel, or the ones you have to stitch around the wheel yourself (which I reckon would look better).

Anyone got any experience or recommendations?

Cheers.

You should look no further than Jack Royal steering wheels, hopefully any thoughts of a "cover" will quickly dissappear ;)

Had a look. impressive work.

However, unless you opt for a new wheel, it's essentially a cover isn't it? Sure it's professionally done, and will look great, but I'd like to think I could have a good crack at it, not to mention that it's much more rewarding to DIY...

Reprofiled is what I meant by a new wheel, which I reckon would be a lot of work and big cost?

Retrimmed is what I reckon I could replicate in a basic form...

Universal covers you just stitch around the outside:

New-Universal-DIY-PU-Leather-Hand-stitched-Car-Auto-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Case-Leather-steering-wheel.jpg

But I reckon if I buy my own material and cut my own template I could achieve something similar to this (though only in 1 material and maybe not quite as neat):

350Z-padded-2mm-perforated-sides-smooth-topbottom-orange-stitching-1.JPG

Love is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about my Jack Royal steering wheel. It's a bit thicker, plusher leather, red stitching and a flat bottom. :cloud9:

IMG_6520_zps0qguqnif.jpg

Simply the best £200 I've ever spent and I can't think of any other mod, for that kind of money, which even comes close to improving day to day Zed driving.

• Like 3

I bought a used one off eBay and sent it off, but if memory serves, they will send you a loaner if you pay a refundable deposit (£50?). Get in touch, they're very friendly. http://royalsteeringwheels.com

I didn't swap it myself, it was done with some other jobs by my tech, but I think it was a couple of security screws and a big nut. Usual safety measures on airbags, disconnect battery, etc.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/32500-how-to-remove-the-steering-wheel/

I'm 98% certain if you buy your own material, cut a template and attempt to fit it yourself, it'll end up in a scrunched up ball in the bin :lol: Some covers aren't really that bad looking, and will certainly look better than a DIY attempt, unless you're harbouring some leather guru talent you haven't discovered yet.

I've been toying with the idea of having mine retrimmed, pretty much identically to Stu's, or buying and aftermarket wheel and losing the buttons.

• Like 2

Is it much to get the steering wheel off..? Especially with the airbags..?

Can I have one made and then swapped at the same time..so cars in once..

I have a wheel if anyone wants want to buy it so you can keep driving :), i can even send it straight to Jack.

Edited by Jetpilot

From reading previous threads, it would appear that they provide an exchange service where they send you a pre-done wheel and you send them your old one (which they will sort and give to someone else).

I'm 98% certain if you buy your own material, cut a template and attempt to fit it yourself, it'll end up in a scrunched up ball in the bin :lol: Some covers aren't really that bad looking, and will certainly look better than a DIY attempt, unless you're harbouring some leather guru talent you haven't discovered yet.

How hard can it be... :lol:

I'm not trying to discredit the level of craftsmanship required, but I'd like to think I can measure and cut some material without much issue. After that it's just a case of stitching it... Okay, my stitching might not be perfectly spaced or in fancy patterns, but it should do the job.

Some would call it ignorance, but I'd like to go with optimistic confidence :bleh:

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

Exchange option

If you have to use your car daily and can not send your wheel first we offer exchange option for the same type wheel to make the transaction easier and faster.

EXCHANGE + POSTAGE – we send you new the same type re-trimmed steering wheel first so you so you could swap the wheels over and return your old, same type steering wheel back to us with 14 days (recorded delivery required). You still use your existing parts ( paddles, plastic trims, multifunction buttons) so they stay the same what makes exchange option safe. Deposit will be added only as business protection and it will be fully refunded straight after receiving your same type steering wheel. Deposit not needed if you came to fit with us or if you send your wheel first.

EXCHANGE + FITTING – we re-trim the same type steering wheel to your specified order so you could come over for fitting ( it takes about 30 minutes to install). We still use your existing parts ( paddles, plastic trims, multifunction buttons) so they stay the same what makes exchange option safe.

I didnt say i dont have faith in your abilities ;), i said it will look like a sewn up dogs ear :p i dont think it matters how good you are, it will always look like a cover not a professionally trimmed wheel.

Fill your boots though, its your car, but in answer to your original question then, the recommendations are to get a Royal wheel (also believe mondo hide and seat a trader on here do them) B)

I didnt say i dont have faith in your abilities ;), i said it will look like a sewn up dogs ear :p i dont think it matters how good you are, it will always look like a cover not a professionally trimmed wheel.

Fill your boots though, its your car, but in answer to your original question then, the recommendations are to get a Royal wheel (also believe mondo hide and seat a trader on here do them) B)

I dunno, if you skip to the end of that video the result looks pretty decent to me - no huge difference to the images you posted.

I could remove the OEM leather from the wheel as in that Instructables guide, which also acts as a good template, but I'd then have to use extra material to pad it out again and I'd end up with the same result as just covering it...

It looks very fiddly and time consuming, requiring a lot of patience, but honestly not particularly technically difficult.

There was guy on here a while ago who ordered a wheel re-trim off ebay. He said he was happy with it, but it was absolute toilet and he was ripped for it. Granted it wasn’t his own work, but if you can find the thread, it would give you an example of what a bad one would like!

• Like 1