Frozen door lock

OliverB

Interesting development today. Unlocked doors remotely, went to put bag in boot. Boot didn't want to open in the slightest. No worries, I'll put the bag in the passenger seat. Door opens fine. Go to get into driver's side. Doesn't budge. Unlock button makes the usual noises in the door but no dice.

End up climbing in from the passenger side, warming the car up. Drove for a couple of minutes, tried the lock again and bingo, works fine.

Anyone had a frozen lock mechanism before?! :lol:

Don't put boiling/hot/warm water on glass - you are asking for trouble, seriously stupid idea. (no personal offence Apooc124! - although not sure if that was in jest)

It was recommended just recently to get Gummi Pflege for the rubber seals (windows/boot):

https://www.amazon.c...ds=Gummi Pflege

Try that first, if the lock mechanisms are properly greased then they should be fine.

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Don't put boiling/hot/warm water on glass - you are asking for trouble, seriously stupid idea. (no personal offence Apooc124! - although not sure if that was in jest)

None taken mate! it was very much in jest and i'm fairly sure Oliver knows it was a joke aswell :p

• Like 1

Anyone had a frozen lock mechanism before?! :lol:

Both of our Zeds have had frozen doors, several times. I don't think its the mechanism, it just freezes to the rubber seal. I just poured warm water around the edges of the door to release it. The problem with this is the water will freeze the door up again if there's another hard frost. I think sports cars are more liable to freeze because the doors tend to be much longer than on most Euroboxes.

Pete

• Like 1

I can't say for sure, however the physical switch inside the door within the handle wouldn't budge, as if it was entirely stuck. I was driving along and gave the central locking button a go on the driver's side switch panel and it worked. I'm thinking something was frozen and stopping the switch from moving.

Just glad it resolved itself quickly - and hoping it won't happen again tomorrow! I'm going to try parking facing the other way (driver side toward the houses on the street) as the passenger side was much less frosty today.

Drivers door does it every damn year no matter what you do or put in the lock etc lol Just remember on really icey nights to leave room on your passenger side. I've had to jump out it even having driven 25 mins to work. Grrr...

Edited by AMT

• 2 weeks later...

It was recommended just recently to get Gummi Pflege for the rubber seals (windows/boot):

https://www.amazon.c...ds=Gummi Pflege

Try that first, if the lock mechanisms are properly greased then they should be fine.

I've been having the same issue. This morning I had to faf about for ages. I washed the door several times with increasingly warm water until eventually it opened.

I haven't got time to wait for a gummi pledge delivery but someone said silicone grease does the same thing so I've put some on. Will find out tomorrow if it's done the trick.

Was going on holiday on Thursday morning and went to get in the car to drive to the airport and all the locks were frozen. The Mrs face was a picture when I told her.

Luckily a couple of minutes with the hairdryer got the driver and boot locks open. The passenger one stayed frozen until we got out at the other end.

I used to have an alfa gtv that frozen when it got even a little cold. I once drove an hour to blue water after getting it unlocked to find it wouldn't lock again. We were there to buy Christmas presents so I told the Mrs the car wouldn't lock but we'd leave it unlocked but pretend to lock it and go buy everything. As we are walking away from the car she turned to me and very loudly said "but you haven't locked the car!" I had to move to a different part of the car park and try again.