Rear Window Louvers ( not side windows ) interest?

JZA70

If the value of the gift is greater than £34 you need to pay import tax.

Value

Value

Value

Value

Value

It doesn't matter if it's a gift from the lord God your saviour himself. If it's worth more than £34 you're liable to import tax. If you're going to mark it down, that's up to you, but don't pretend you're perfectly 100% in the clear. Just because you gave the money to your mate Joseph who sent it by bottle in the ocean to Jeremiah who rolled it down the hill to the seller doesn't change the value of the item.

:lol: like your way of explaining things
  • Like 1

Is now a good time to mention that I used to work in Tax Fraud Investigation for HMRC...? :thumbs:

Anyway, haven't we already had a bit of a saga about rear window louvres manufactured here in the UK? I seem to remember that there was a considerable amount of R&D involved before anything even went into production.

Also the poster seems to be forgetting that there will be man hours involved in creating these things - he didn't factor that into his "greed" calculations at all.

• Like 1

I might start putting this up as a daily announcement...

If you're a budding master criminal please do keep your epic schemes to the confines of your mind or, at the very least, the inside of your hollowed out volcano.

Thanks

• Like 9

Using a logistics company to ship items is hardly a master crime by the way 🖒

And having friends send me parts via said logistics company as gifts is also not a crime

Import tax is paid via said logistics company, and as these items are now second hand I can declare the value as I please which is also not a crime.

🖒🖒

Using a logistics company to ship items is hardly a master crime by the way ������

And having friends send me parts via said logistics company as gifts is also not a crime

Import tax is paid via said logistics company, and as these items are now second hand I can declare the value as I please which is also not a crime.

I wasn't trying to provoke a debate, but If you'd like to have a discussion about this, please feel free to PM myself or anyone of the team.

Is now a good time to mention that I used to work in Tax Fraud Investigation for HMRC...? :thumbs:

Anyway, haven't we already had a bit of a saga about rear window louvres manufactured here in the UK? I seem to remember that there was a considerable amount of R&D involved before anything even went into production.

Also the poster seems to be forgetting that there will be man hours involved in creating these things - he didn't factor that into his "greed" calculations at all.

No he expects the man to sell his time at 0.0p per hour its only fair then as there is no cost is there ;)

being in a company that does some fabrication i can tell you now even with a jig to get proper weld not pigeon @*!# tacks and QC and your looking at 1.5-2

hours to cut place weld and check one of these i know the guys i work with work on around £50ph for private stuff, Now give a quicke estimate on the amount of plate being used i think your plate costs are going to be around £40-50 depending on supplier or thickness you want you use. So now looking now £150 before even painting it. Which going buy previous history in louvers in the UK a top quality paint job is bare minimum. i would expect a quote for a proper job to be around another £75-100 per unit so a total cost of £250 sounds about right to me.

Now would i go to all the effort of this to make a £20 profit on it hell no, so the price of around £350 sounds reasonable to me all things considered. a 28% gross margin. i almost bet the people moaning in here are not upset for paying a similar margin on most of things in life. i bet your not in Currys saying come on pal china makes these TV for £40 why you selling to me for £800.

Edited by StevoD

OK guys I get the argumentation's here. If anybody knows anything better or has already done this please advise how and how much it ended up. I drew a blank from my Japanese and Australian contact.

I'll make an enquiry for 5 units on the assumption we can get a basic idea of costs fully lagit, They do pre paint black from what I've seen, but I'd rather get mine powder coated locally.

Last time I imported anything for Japan or wherever outside Europe you are talking up to 6% duty payable on the value and shipping cost. and 20% VAT.

Shame no one in the UK could knock these up..GRP or PU would be better. However moulds are the cost. I have contacts but need something to mould from.

Right can we tidy this thread up please.

OP wants to see if there is interest in a bulk purchase to help with costs, can we stick to that.

For the other issues please do not derail the thread - Building these isn't straightforward as a member on here found out earlier in the year. If you search you can see the thread and the sort of prices and process he was going through. As for making a business transaction using the gifting option on Paypal, that in itself is defrauding Paypal at a minimum of use of their money transfer service, without even knowing the in's and outs of how the logistics company are aiding in avoiding paying an import charge.

So back on topic as of now please.

• Like 1

Just to confirm I've enquired after 5. I want one and will be open with all details .Just knowing others are interested will help costs.

May be a none starter at the end of the day, but at least we will know.

• Like 1

Would it be that hard to 3D print some plastic ones?

Just a thought...

Yes. :surrender::lol:

You would need an extremely big 3D printer (industrial size/very expensive) to do that all in one go or you would have to split the CAD up and print the pieces separately on smaller beds, glue them together afterwards and then hand finish it (would be subject to warping & all sorts of problems).

The cost of which would be ridiculous to achieve in materials alone let alone the time it would take on the machine. Just not financially viable. ;)

You be very careful how it is wrapped for International Shipping. My guy in California collected it personally for me as only living half hour away ,and although the louver was already packaged for shipment, he took it back to his company and re packed it over the existing packaging at my request , as i was paranoid the slats would be damaged in transit .... Lets just say on arrival to the UK, I was glad i did.

Just a thought...

You would need an extremely big 3D printer (industrial size/very expensive) to do that all in one go or you would have to split the CAD up and print the pieces separately on smaller beds, glue them together afterwards and then hand finish it (would be subject to warping & all sorts of problems).

The cost of which would be ridiculous to achieve in materials alone let alone the time it would take on the machine. Just not financially viable. ;)

Fair nuf :lol:

Must be a better way to do it with plastic though?

The only guys with 3D printers liquid or sinter big enough are the F1 teams and know u are talking multiple £1000 s per hour material only good for making the mould. More expense... Unless making hundreds.

NBG. I used to supply the stuff. £100/Kg for the material for the printer. Hundreds of man hours to get the part.

Edited by JZA70

Just a thought...

Fair nuf :lol:

Must be a better way to do it with plastic though?

Absolutely there is. If you sent the metal piece to China, they would have a mould made within two weeks and be able to produce them in ABS plastic. The problem with doing that of course, is that when they have finished making your run, they won't stop, they'll make ten times more than you ordered, then undercut you on ebay. lol.