Facelift headlights

jayrishi

Yeh, it's a good price, I've been looking at this conversion for mine. In fact, while I've got some of you headlight guys on the line...

I have an 03 US base model, no HID (though someone added aftermarket). If I get a ballasts, igniters and wiring from an 06, then d2s bulbs and the headlights linked above, I'm good for a full HID 06+ setup, right?

Edited by Aashenfox

If I get a ballasts, igniters and wiring from an 06, then d2s bulbs and the headlights linked above, I'm good for a full HID 06+ setup, right?

The ballasts and igniters are the same on all models, you don't need face-lift specifically..

Its a lot more complex fitting to halogens, you have a 6pin wiring loom on your car compared to an 8pin plug in HID headlights. Have a read of:

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/543300-diy-350z-06-headlight-upgrade-walkthrough-5.html#post10579372

He details which wire needs to go where if you want to do the conversion.

Yeh, it's a good price, I've been looking at this conversion for mine. In fact, while I've got some of you headlight guys on the line...

I have an 03 US base model, no HID (though someone added aftermarket). If I get a ballasts, igniters and wiring from an 06, then d2s bulbs and the headlights linked above, I'm good for a full HID 06+ setup, right?

Check local law to see if you need headlight washers and autoleveling fitted too.

If I get a ballasts, igniters and wiring from an 06, then d2s bulbs and the headlights linked above, I'm good for a full HID 06+ setup, right?

The ballasts and igniters are the same on all models, you don't need face-lift specifically..

Its a lot more complex fitting to halogens, you have a 6pin wiring loom on your car compared to an 8pin plug in HID headlights. Have a read of:

http://my350z.com/fo...ml#post10579372

He details which wire needs to go where if you want to do the conversion.

I've seen that. Can I not just buy the 8 pin harness though and be done with it? Please enlighten me if that's a dumbass question. Thanks.

Edited by Aashenfox

Check local law to see if you need headlight washers and autoleveling fitted too.

Law? What's that? I live in Greece. :)

(seriously, not a problem. I'll adjust them myself for proper pattern and it'll pass the GR equivalent of MOT, and if it doesn't, I'll take it somewhere else where it most definitely will. lol ;)) Don't get me wrong, if they can't be adjusted properly I won't use them, I'm not into blinding people coming towards me, sounds risky. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm not knowledgeable enough to verify it's validity, but I heard you should use a relay harness when installing HIDs into cars that originally came with halogens. From what I understand the current draw from the ballast spikes quite high on start up (10A+), so it could blow a fuse (some people even say it's possible to damage your wiring harness :scare: ). The other problem you face is apparently flicker which happens due to the ballast not being able to draw enough current.

As I say, I don't know enough about it to be sure, but may be worth researching into! You mentioned someone added HIDs anyway, so maybe it's fine. :)

I'm with Hodaka on this one, I dont know enough about the process of Halogen > HID sorry to answer your question Ashenfox.

Worst case scenario I suspect you would need to purchase the 8pin loom (car side) but how you go about swapping/fitting that to your car I dont know. I suspect you either remove the individual 6 wires from your plug, and use the 8pin plug purchased to line the correct wires in the correct places, or figure out which colour wire does what in your 6pin loom and then cut/solder the appropriate wire to the new 8pin loom?

Best case scenario its all plug and play? :lol:

I'm not knowledgeable enough to verify it's validity, but I heard you should use a relay harness when installing HIDs into cars that originally came with halogens. From what I understand the current draw from the ballast spikes quite high on start up (10A+), so it could blow a fuse (some people even say it's possible to damage your wiring harness :scare: ). The other problem you face is apparently flicker which happens due to the ballast not being able to draw enough current.

As I say, I don't know enough about it to be sure, but may be worth researching into! You mentioned someone added HIDs anyway, so maybe it's fine. :)

Sadly, no, they are dog sh1t, they take MINUTES to warm up, it's ridiculous. I need to replace a headlight anyway (looks like it was kept in a place where sun fell on the drivers (your passenger) side all day, so the one headlight is yellow and semi-opaque, while the other is fine). I know I can polish it up for a temporary fix, but screw it, I'll go the whole hog for blacked out 06 setup, they look so good and the stockers look shite, polished or not. :/

Sargara, yeh, I've read just about every article out there about this, and the trouble is the variation in models (to add insult to injury, mine's a US, which again has slight differences). I think I'm going to do the relay harness/repin the plug job after all, but I find the article (linked above, about re-pinning the plug) somewhat confusing at first glance, I expect it will become clearer once I'm under the actual bonnet.

Thanks guys. :)

P.S. jayrishi, sorry for the hijack, I tihnk I'm done now :)

Edited by Aashenfox

I'm pretty sure there will be literally tons of threads on this on the US forum My350z

There are, and I've read them all. What I can't find is any guide that starts from what I have and ends with Nissan HIDs through 06+design headlights.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the info I need can be picked from various guides, but as I say, having not got my head under the bonnet yet, I have a lot more questions than answers. Don't worry, I'll wait til I[ve got specific questions that I can't find answers to and go from there, I'm probably seeing it far more difficult than it is. :)

I'm pretty sure there will be literally tons of threads on this on the US forum My350z

There are, and I've read them all. What I can't find is any guide that starts from what I have and ends with Nissan HIDs through 06+design headlights.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the info I need can be picked from various guides, but as I say, having not got my head under the bonnet yet, I have a lot more questions than answers. Don't worry, I'll wait til I[ve got specific questions that I can't find answers to and go from there, I'm probably seeing it far more difficult than it is. :)

It's been done on JDM imports over here and I'm 100% certain it's been done in the states, exactly the same as what you're looking to do. Keep looking, you'll find it.

or over £2000 new!!

Not sure where these prices are being obtained from, you can pick them up for £800 each from Nissan:

http://www.ebay.co.u...D-/291829834825

Or less from a parts supplier if you shop around.

That was for a pair if you add on the vat! Even without the vat or if thats £800 inc vat its still £1600.

I'm considering getting my done. Can someone please post before and after pics so I can see the difference?

No need for before and after pics, just google 2006 350Z and you'll see the new lights fitted :)

• Like 1