What wheels to drift with?

blindbandit

This is just kind of a thinking out loud post, again, someone please feel free to correct me if I'm worrying about nothing, but I probably wouldn't drift on spacers, I'd be worried about the secondary studs popping out of the aluminium spacer under that lateral load, especially if you got onto a rumble strip while sideways. There are several rally fail vids on youtube, where you see the wheels literally falling off a car while it goes round a hairpin. These are are often spacer stud failures. Not the studs themselves usually, but a failure of the metal into which they have been inserted, so I read. The studs in the steel hub are no doubt held by the hub much, MUCH more sturdily than studs inserted into aluminium.

P.S. I know that hub centric spacers will offset a lot of the load, even so...nissansilvia.net has varying opinions (their cars are lighter than ours as well though, right?). Consensus seems to be that cheap spacers are a definite no-no and even good ones will start cracking around the studs sooner or later after a good deal of drifting.

docwra, tell me I'm worried for no reason, I'd like to know myself. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

I've never seen any drifting related spacer issues, nor have my friends (all drifters) either experienced or seen it happen. Not saying it doesn't happen, but not anything to worry about unless you're buying a set of 4 spacers on ebay for £25 haha

docwra, tell me I'm worried for no reason, I'd like to know myself. :)

Youre worried for no reason mate :lol:

There have been very, very few isolated incidents of wheel spacer failure ............. just like there have been very few Prius's lose their steering or Carrera GT's that spontaneously ignite. The ones I have seen have invariably been down to cheap aluminium spacers, loss of wheels is usually down to the use of cheap wheelnuts, or cheap wheels rather than the spacers as well.

If its a concern Eibachs are TuV approved so will not fail, I really wouldnt worry yourself :)

Tuv would require them to hold the same load as the oem hub, right? I almost bought cheap spacers from 2fast2cool on ebay, and in actual fact their apparent poor reading comprehension and total disinterest in helping me do anything besides press the buy it now button caused me to pause, during which time I had the epiphany that the bits that hold the wheels on, really shouldn't be skimped on. So I stumped up for the eibach hub centric bolt ons that everyone seems to extol. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Still don't know if I'll drift on them though. Lol. They arrived today, I'll go pick them up tomorrow. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

:lol:

They might well be replacing the hubs a little more often, but they're probably comfortable using them from a safety POV. After all, you wouldn't want something to sheer off as you initiate a slide at 100mph.

Now I want to run our Impreza in full on rally spec too :(

Ah but, how often do they replace parts?

ROFL :lol: :lol:

Your average skint drifter only replaces tyres when they dont hold air anymore and replace bumpers when they weigh more in cableties than in plastic, solid metal things do not get replaced evarrrrr.

• Like 1