VQ37VHR into a VQ35DE (first gen) 2003 Z33

Tucsok

Hi Guys

My name is Lawrence, I live in Hungary Budapest.

I recently bought a Z33 2003 with 81k kms in it. The engine broke down after a few thousand kms. So i figured I'd do an engine swap.

I found a few good deals in Japan and the US. I've contacts who can get those engines to me, however:

I wanted to know if anyone has done a VQ35DE to VQ37VHR swap if so what do I need to look after?

So far I know that:

wiring loom

ECU

bonnet

has to be changed.

I was wondering whether the engine mounts, clutch and transmission will fit the new engine or I'd need hybrids or Z34 parts from them too?

I ve found a few topics on this but I'll saw was people telling them thats its not worth it, so i figured I'd write down what and why I want this:

So i figured that if my is engine dead (probaly pistons got "fat" and can't even start or turn it) so I'd do an engine swap to the VQ35HR, however as the VQ37's are not that much more expensive

y not go for the bigger, slightly stronger engine ( which I believe has more potential keeping in mind I want to keep it close to stock, and definitely NA)

The reason why I want to keep it as an NA is that I already own a fully built RB26 S13 pushing around 600BHP which is not street legal, and I want an street legal NA car with descent power for the weekends when I'm not racing (I wouldnt want go over 400 in the next 1-2 years) and next year I'll starting the weight reduction to have a better power to weight ratio.

the engine swap looks to me so far as between 2500-3000 Euros

rebuilding the engine would be around 2000 ( with high compression pistons, rempaing, new crankshaft, new oilpump, injection etc. etc.)

if u r curious about my other Nissan u can find a few videos on youtube.com/tucsokcsak1van :)

Thanks for all the help in advance :)

• Like 1

Not heard of anyone on here or the other website having completed the swap, the wiring will be the biggest issue as I think everything will need spliced to work. But if you have the skills time and money anything is possible! Keep us updated, probably easier than an UK LS engine swap ;):lol:

On a side note, I went to Budapest for my stag do and loved it, most of my family now want to go........ probably not to do the same things though.

• Like 1

Definitely not worth the agro.

Off the top of my head:

You will require a complete engine, not a bare engine.

You will also require, gearbox, complete wiring loom and ECU, exhaust manifolds and cats, radiator, condenser and front carbon composite front panel. etc etc etc.

All HR parts are in stock if you decide to proceed.

Alex.

How about a rebuild with bore and stroke kit work being done, taking it up to 3.7 ( or bigger), not sure how that, versus buying a 370z engine would be but there would be massive savings on everything else needed to do a 350 - 370 transplant. No electrics, gearbox / engine mount repositioning etc etc

Definitely not worth the agro.

Off the top of my head:

You will require a complete engine, not a bare engine.

You will also require, gearbox, complete wiring loom and ECU, exhaust manifolds and cats, radiator, condenser and front carbon composite front panel. etc etc etc.

All HR parts are in stock if you decide to proceed.

Alex.

Hi Alex, thanks for therespond :)

The engine I'm about to buy is 2000 euros, + shipping in a container ( i know it takes a few months)

for this money I get a complete running engine under 100k kms, with ECU, wiring loom, ac, generator etc. basically everything

that is on the engine except for clutch and the gearbox.

I was hoping that the engine sits on the z33 subframe without any mods, but I don't know if thats true thatswhy i was asking whether the

bottom of the block is different or not. Same with the gearbox, someone told me that the z33 and z34 gearbox has the same bolt locations

so it shouldn't be an issue, however since there almost none modified Z-s in Hungary I wanted to ask someone with more (and actual) experience.

Are you 100% sure that my gearbox wouldn't fit the VQ37 engine?

My exhaust on the Z33 is stock and in a condition where I feel I'd need to get a new anyway, so that wouldn't bother me :)

Do you have an online store / stock where i could look through in case i go ahead and need some parts anyways?

Edited by Tucsok

Not heard of anyone on here or the other website having completed the swap, the wiring will be the biggest issue as I think everything will need spliced to work. But if you have the skills time and money anything is possible! Keep us updated, probably easier than an UK LS engine swap ;):lol:

On a side note, I went to Budapest for my stag do and loved it, most of my family now want to go........ probably not to do the same things though.

Even I joined a brit stag-do in Budapest once, everyone seems to enjoythemselves here (maybe its because of the cheap boose, parties and girls :D )

• Like 2

Even I joined a brit stag-do in Budapest once, everyone seems to enjoythemselves here (maybe its because of the cheap boose, parties and girls :D )

I still remember the bar with all the shots from when I came out 😆 need to be back soon! I won't bring a random Tinder date this time 😂

I still remember the bar with all the shots from when I came out 😆 need to be back soon! I won't bring a random Tinder date this time 😂

U took a tinder to Budapest? the hell chriss? :D i told u many times u have to come to Balatonsound and u'd just go crazy about the girls who are there..... youtube it and u ll see

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...