Normal Running Temperatures?

Dracostan

OR - How to know when you need to fit an oil cooler?

So, I was out yesterday for a bit of weekend driving and noticed the oil temperature was kinda high (by my guess) peaking at 98degC following some 'spirited' overtaking.

Today I was out doing a drying off run after washing the car and pushing the car up to the line in the low gears, where it peaked at 108degC. Concerned, I took an extra 20mins or so gently cruising home to get it to cool off, but only managed to get it to just above 100degC, where it stayed even after a further 10mins sitting idling on the driveway.

On previous runs I have noticed the car runs hotter oil in manual shift than when in auto, but todays 108 is the highest I've seen it.

The water temperature gauge was two lights down from centre the whole time and the car runs at around 92degC during everyday commuting @ 30-40mph.

Can anyone say what the normal running temps should be for everyday (commuting) and for weekend runs?

'13 370 GT Auto

Well depends as well from type of oil you use. On my wtin turbo 350z is around from 100 to 109 degrees. I have an oil cooler. I reckon with Fuchs Titan Pro S im using 10w60 all up to 120 degrees is ok maybe even bit higher

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

130 plus is high imo , the 2012 and onwards 370's have improved oil cooling so for road use and occasional track use an oil cooler is not required unlike the earlier versions where they can struggle , but in the event of the oil temps getting a little high the car will go into a restricted "limp" home mode anyhow

Both my 370 autos tend to run around 90-100 normal driving but can creep up slightly over 100 if spanked a bit , they do run hotter when driving in manual mode as you will be revving it higher

Both my cars ran at 88 degrees water temp though

Just back from a good run in my 370, oil temp never got above 90-95 and it was warm in Dorset today.

Even when I am down in Southern Spain oil temp sticks around the same level.

I have never seen it at 100 or above, so yes your's does sound a bit high.

That does sound quite high. I have between 85 and 92 when doing normal driving but then shoots up to about 100 if i decide to give it a bit. the only time I got 100 from town driving I was sat still in traffic for 20 mins in 25 degrees sunshine.

From what's been said it looks like I don't need to worry. Would seem 'normal temps' are a characteristic of the particular car :)

Thanks for the responses! The cooler will just have to go further down the mod list for when I decide to go for some more power!

Mine usually sits at 90 during normal driving. If you drive it hard on a hot day it will get to 110 or slightly over. This used to worry me and as soon as I saw it at 100+ I would back right off till it had cooled down to 90 again.

After speaking to mark at abbey about the options of an oil cooler, it seems I was just being over cautious and these temps are nothing to worry about.

The night my oil temp shot up to 150 coming back up the A1 I literally sh@t myself.

I pulled straight over, waited for the engine to cool right down, turned the ignition back on and was still at 150 stone cold.

Turned out to be a knackered temp sensor in the engine. 🙈

Most modern engines are designed to run an oil temp of 100C as below that it will not evaporate the water vapor that accumulates during lower running temps, the same applies to some of the contaminates, like acidic compounds that accumulate from the combustion process, so having too low an oil running temp is just as bad as having it too high.

Water evaporates at much less than 100 degrees ;) , but you are absolutely right , too low an oil temp is just as bad . Modern synthetic oils will not break down at the temperatures seen in a modern engine , they are tested at much much higher temperatures

Well in an engine its more a case of boiling rather than evaporation, but as its a semi closed system that label tends to confuse the issue, but its why i mentioned the required 100C.

Although modern synthetic oils will handle quite high temperatures compared to the older mineral based oils, The engine friction metal surfaces are not, which is why we have a cooling system to keep temps within certain boundaries, otherwise the tolerances change too much due to different expansion rates of the metals.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, my oil has occassionally reached 120 degrees in my 09 370. I am soon to be doing a european rally in summer, would anyone recommend an oil cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep i'd be fitting one , most of the traders offer suitable ones , might be worth fitting a sandwich plate with sensor holes as well so you could monitor oil pressure as well to be safe

Hi guys, my oil has occassionally reached 120 degrees in my 09 370. I am soon to be doing a european rally in summer, would anyone recommend an oil cooler?

Under what circumstances does it reach 120C? on the track? i would be suspecting the temp sensor or gauge, or some other reason, before looking at fitting an oil cooler, put it this way it took a big single oil cooled turbo fitted to my 2JZ motor on a very hot day to push my running temps to over 120C.

There are plenty of generic kits about, just don't go too large on the cooler, and make sure you use a thermostatic take of plate, or you will end up over cooling during the winter, which is just as bad if not worse than over heating, by the way most modern synthetic oils will handle temps up to and above 130C.

• Like 1

There are plenty of generic kits about, just don't go too large on the cooler, and make sure you use a thermostatic take of plate, or you will end up over cooling during the winter, which is just as bad if not worse than over heating, by the way most modern synthetic oils will handle temps up to and above 130C.

Thanks for that.

I only noticed the oil get up to 120 degrees once and the car doesn't do track time.

I'm wondering if just for a normal rally type drive it might be alright because I will always be doing long distance to cool the engine down