Feedback Required on TORQEN S Coilovers

-blade-

Hey all,

i did do a search here but didn't see any real feedback on these.

Currently i cannot clear a speedbump in my street plus the ride is pretty bad due to the current setup of standard shocks with unknown mega low springs (yes yes i know, it wasn't me!).

I do not want to use the standard shocks with a lowering spring kit, i also don't want a high end cusco type set up, so ive come to conclusion that something like BC Racing, or potentially these Torqen branded things may do the trick for the money. I'm not interested in the really low end chinese coilover kits at £400.

The Torqen S runs a higher spring rate than most other kits i notice, so any feedback is much appreciated, such as :

Overall finish and build quality

Fitment / fitment issues

Dampening range 'feel'

Longer term use and ride quality

Making adjustments after theve been in use for a while (ie issues with dampener adjuster or threads on sleeves etc.

thanks!

Excuse my ignorance, but when it comes to Car knowledge my achilles heel has to be suspension.

What are the benefits of coilovers? I'm not one of those that's interested in 'style' and lowering their car (I personally don't think lowering looks good and surely can't be good for handling),

So what other functional benefits could i achieve?

Excuse my ignorance, but when it comes to Car knowledge my achilles heel has to be suspension.

What are the benefits of coilovers? I'm not one of those that's interested in 'style' and lowering their car (I personally don't think lowering looks good and surely can't be good for handling),

So what other functional benefits could i achieve?

• Like 1

Ignoring the fact that these aren't full coilovers (they retain the OEM separate spring and shock assembly, not a bad thing in itself) then the real benefit in terms of performance is for those guys that are on 100k mile cars still running original suspension: Those parts will be nowhere near as good as they were when they left the factory, so these (and the equivalent Meister and BCs) will be a massive upgrade. You'll get far more control, and likely a better and more compliant ride than on stock suspension for a fraction of OEM replacement cost.

Of course, you also have the ability to stiffen things up for a sportier ride, however don't be fooled into thinking that hard = better. That's not always the case, remember when the JDM cars were slaughtered when introduced to the UK as grey imports because they bounced everywhere? The UK suspension was much comfier, and suited our roads better. It depends on what you want from the car. AIUI, the Torqen suspension can be set from slightly softer than OEM to ridiculously stiff, which gives you the option of running it either as Nissan intended or as you deem fit.

You also get to adjust balance between front and rear, something you can't do on the stock setup, which opens up a whole new world of car control and playfulness...

IMO the z needs lowering to improve the look and stance. The decision is springs (cheapest option or Coilys. To me the z looks too high on the OEM set up. Lowering does not effect handling in an adverse way. :D

Lowering does not effect handling in an adverse way. :D

Not true. Again, it's all about the roads you drive on: If you're crashing and banging off the floor, then lowering the car has achieved nothing other than damaging it.

That's at the extreme though, for the most part you're quite correct.

Suspension really seems to get people wound up on most car forums for some reason. At the end of the day its all about personal preference and personal circumstance as everyone wants something different from their suspension. Of course throw in at least a bit of knowledge and you can come to the conclusion of which to get. The original intent of my question was to get reports on the actual coilover/fitment/performance/issues etc and thanks very much to Mr TORQEN for the help to get me feedback on those.

The only input id give for those who are not sure about suspension (as DarmoZ for example posted) is to make a list of what you want, whether is purley looks you want, or how you want to drive the car etc.

My list was:

Firm the ride over stock for casual use

Get rid of the ridiculously low springs that are in there now

Adjustable ride height (for when i switch wheels and so on)

Adjustable damping (wanted ability to tweak when needed)

This list told me i needed coilovers, and the fact i didnt want to spend any more than needed or for track use told me i didnt need 'true' coilovers or high end stuff.

So, choices all sat in the £700 range, or with chinese at £350 (FK Coilovers are actually very good value BTW and ive used them on a CLK previously, but, fixed dampening)

i eyed up all the options ticking my list items and coming in at that price range and narrowed my search down to TORQEN S or MeisterR Zeta.

Ive plumped for the MeisterR Zeta but mainly because they are in stock right now and the Torqen S is 10-14 days away (which isn't bad really but i cant get in and out of my street at the moment due to offending mountainous speedhump).

Seems the main difference between the TORQEN S and the MeisterR Zeta is spring rate - the TORQEN S should feel a little closer to stock ride on softer dampener settings than the MeisterR, in theory at least.

I will report back after fitting, and again once they've been in use for a while.

Thanks guys!

Hi Blade, you should be happy with your choice.

I have MisteirR Zeta-S fitted to my Zed, and they are a big improvement over stock.

Mine are set up at stock ride height, and I have cleared every speed bump encountered without problems so far,

and at much greater speed than you can even think about on stock suspension. ;)

You should also find that overall handling is much improved too.