First 'affordable' 200mile range EV is here!!

gangzoom

But that's not the case GZ mate, I think most people get the EV, but until they outperform the incumbent and are a viable replacement then why 'change' ? There will always be a small group of people (called innovators and early adopters if you want the technical term from diffusion of technology theories) who will buy ahead of the curve and take the hit on price paying much more than the product is actually worth because of the need to recover sunk development costs but that doesn't mean those following are resistant to change, they just don't see the need to change at that time.

For example, at the moment there is no charging capability anywhere near me, I live in a city (somewhat ironically where people say EVs are most effective is actually the most difficult place to own one) so driveway space is rare and expensive so home charging is not an option. They are still so much in their infancy, its not inconceivable that something else could as Dan said pop up and usurp it. Everyone said Betamax was the future when it launched, as well as Laser discs, etc.

And yet, motoring hasn't changed in 100 years. We're still using the same basic principle of suck squeeze bang blow.

You could say that about the phone though (Not the suck squeeze bang blow, unless you're dialing the premium rate numbers again). Very little changed for decades and then boom the market exploded. I don't think things will move as quickly with the electric car and there's still life in the combustion engine yet... In 30 years time, people will think we are dinosaurs for driving and liking petrol powered cars. Much like we think about people who lust after vinyl records... I for one will be sticking to vinyl, but will also have a streaming device of some kind.

• Like 1

And yet, motoring hasn't changed in 100 years. We're still using the same basic principle of suck squeeze bang blow.

You could say that about the phone though

And energy. Technically, we're still in the steam age, despite our fancy nuclear reactors.

We haven't made a leap away from it since the late 17th century,when we came up with the idea of steam power. We've just discovered better ways to generate steam.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 2

And energy. Technically, we're still in the steam age, despite our fancy nuclear reactors.

We haven't made a leap away from it since the late 17th century,when we came up with the idea of steam power. We've just discovered better ways to generate steam.

9wjwu.jpg

Never thought of it like that. So right!

• Like 1

It's all about maintaining personal mobility in a future where roads will become more congested.As much as I hate the idea of automation, from a stress free non polluting viewpoint jumping in my little pod as an old man and popping out to visit someone on a wireless powered road network does have its appeal.

For now though I'm making the most of the combustion engine.

Absolutely, expect now we have solar PV panels falling in price to a point where domestic installations are viable, and battery prices now also falling at a rapid rate. So for the first time we have a way to generate electricity without needing to heat up water. Moving personal transportation to pure electric power is the last piece of the puzzle needed.

One of the first domestic homes in the UK to install a solar PV + battery storage energy system. Apparently in summer have reduce the grid energy use of the house down to 3% of previous - that's a 97% reduction in grid power use, and over 12 months will reduce grid energy usage by 70%+ when in include the winter months. The battery in this particular case was supplied by Tesla, but BYD, Bosch, Samsung, are all at it.

The answer to our energy needs is blindly obvious, and it's not to build increasing numbers of centralised expensive to run/man power stations but to move power generation to the local grid with increasingly cheaper solar/wind generation + battery storage to smooth out the energy supply.

Edited by gangzoom