Overtaking on level crossing

Robchriscross

Hi all tried browsing the Internet but can't find a definitive answer, on my way home from site earlier in the works van was stuck behind an old flat capper doing 30mph in a 60 zone for near on 10 minutes through a tight twisty set of country roads eventually leading to a long straight road with the van you need a mile of clear road to overtake all was clear so overtaking comensed as I was virtually level we went through a small level crossing no lights flashing obviously but it had a camera could I be expecting a fine etc only info I can find is rule 167 of the highway code any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Highly unlikely you'll get a ticket, but it was also a highly daft manoeuvre to make. Poor observation and planning, no harm done so good to learn something for next time :)

In theory though, driving without due care and attention would be the charge here. No reasonable or competent driver would attempt to overtake on a level crossing.

• Like 2

Depends on the camera type. Some level crossings have a webcam style camera which can be viewed by the Railway Police while others just act like a traffic light camera. There aren't many level crossings around here, but the ones I know of have double yellow lines.

Pete

• Like 1

I'm sure we've all done a dodgy overtake at some point. It's very frustrating when people drive so, so slowly that the temptation is there.

I believe the cameras are really only there to check people haven't broken down on the level crossing or some other obstruction. Doubt you'll get your collar felt.

• Like 1

"with the van you need a mile of clear road to overtake"

Why the f**k are you planning an overtake then, let alone on a level crossing? The fact it was a works van probably means you would have been paid for the journey, so why bother overtaking?

I don't want to sound overly harsh, but i've seen number of accidents that could have been avoided- this could have easily been one of them...

• Like 1

Camera is a locally monitored level crossing (LMLC), for the benefit of the Signaller. The BT police have vans with cameras that are there, primarily to deter motorists from attempting to cross when the barriers are coming down and lights are flashing.

If you didn't know the area, OK, if you were familiar with the area, please google 'car trashed by train on level crossing'

You'll not get any ticket.

• Like 1