Electric boom!

coldel

^ How are they suppose to nick a charger?? You have to be pretty stupid to mess around with a cable/charget carrying 240volts and 32amps.

The cables are locked into the cars.

Charging at home without off road parking is the biggest problem in the UK. Norway has invested loads in off street charging posts in residential areas, cannot see UK city councils doing the same :(.

Lucky for me its not an issue I cannot see a situation where we'll be in a house without a driveway. Even my parents are lucky enough to have off road parking in Zone 3 London. But it a problem that does need to be sorted. BMW have developed a charger that can connect via lamp posts, but again it'll require investment from central government which in the UK just isn't going to happen.

P90187395-bmw-i8-and-bmw-i3-next-to-light-and-charge-lamppost-2295px.jpg

How do people nick anything, they work it out and take it. I seriously cannot believe for one second that people cannot nick something like that. It was tongue in cheek in any case.

I live in zone three London, lots of cars, around 5% of people have driveways. I wonder as a percentage how much of the country actually has off-street parking? 15% possibly? There seems to be this given that we are all going EV but how is it practically going to work? There are 40 cars on my road and 5 lamp posts? The infrastrucutre cost is going to be utterly immense to switch anything over, especially with 'free' charging also now coming to an end.

Edited by coldel

Passing 240volts 32amps wirelessly? Over distances of 20 feet or more?

I know it sounds like I am just ranting, but its a serious point, we can all point to EVs but they do not solve problems practically when most of the country cannot practically charge them up. The challenge is not building an EV that can compete with combustion, its the infrastructure.

If Norway can invest in public EV on street charging I don't see why the UK cannot. In our old house we had a metal loop anchoring point for horses, so times changes and cities adapt.

hqdefault.jpg

And before anyone worries about the grid, at night the grid demand is about 20GW, out of a max 65GW supply. Given the government push for nuclear which costs the same to run at 100% generating capacity as 10% the electricity supply is a non issue if overnight charging was the norm.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Edited by gangzoom

Because Scandinavian countries have minimum 50% income tax brackets so infrastructure spending is much easier. They can't even fix all the pot holes here, where does the money come from to make EV charging practical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the UK, it's much more likely that private companies will invest in building any infrastructure over the government doing it. This will do nothing but drive up the costs of running an EV - those companies will want to make a profit after all and then the government will want their slice of the pie on top - almost instantly negating one of the main "benefits" of EV's.

I would imagine the costs for combustion engines would still be higher, but the current cost of running an EV is not going to be the status quo - its cheap now to convince people to switch, once they do, it will climb in price as you mentioned.

And at some point the void in revenue from ved, fuel duty and vat will have to be filled, equating to billions ;)

At some point yes, but for now (and probably a while longer yet) the fuel costs of any EV is virtually negligible. Which means you can hammer the loud pedal as much as you like with no worries about mpg, and anyone on here who says they don't care at all about mpg is talking rubbish. My logic is simply so why no jump on the bandwagon when the incentives are still in place, and the current EVs will always be free from road tax forever.

I've already got £5K off the list price on the Leaf thanks to the EV grant, getting another £4.5K off the list price on the Tesla. Hopefully the grant will stay in place till around 2020 when the other car will need changing, that'll be close to £15K worth of EV grants we would have claimed. The X we will be keeping for at least 8 years (till the battery warranty runs out), by than hopefully Tesla will offer a battery upgrade for £10-15K, so potentially the X could turn into the family car that will never physically need replacing.

But financially in the short term none of the Tesla's make sense. Just take a look at their website and prices, your quickly realise you have to be abit crazy in the head about spending so much money on tech which is still maturing. The price we are paying for the X is more than enough for a house deposit even in the most expensive parts in London, so saving £ is not really the main motivator for me with the Tesla purchase. But I'm are lucky enough to have the disposable income to afford the price of entry, and as much as some of you guys seem to find them 'souless', I find them the exact opposite. I'm willing to pay such high prices for the privilege of been able to experience the future of motoring now, and I cannot wait till prices fall to a point when everyone can join in. Sub 6 second 0-60 times will be the 'norm' for family EVs in a few years time, and the proper fast stuff will all be pushing sub 3 seconds easily. Cannot wait :).

Edited by gangzoom

and anyone on here who says they don't care at all about mpg is talking rubbish

I can spin around in a 350z or any car with sub 20 or even sub 10mpg and not care one single jot about mpg because it will cost me far less than your ev ownership.

To be frank, as said many many times before, to honestly think anyone on here is concerned with mpg, they either have the wrong car, or they are on the wrong forum or both where your concerned.

I have mainly stayed away from this thread, same discussions, same answers, I really dont get what your goal is, your never going to persuade us dinosaurs its the future or to sell our gas gusslers and buy an ev and your converted, is there not a Tesla forum you can share your enthusiasm with ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

and anyone on here who says they don't care at all about mpg is talking rubbish.

I can only speak for myself. I really don't care. MPG will never be a factor in my purchasing decision.

I ran a military Series 3 Land Rover for a few years as my daily. I used to get about 14 icebergs per mile in that thing.

Yeah MPG has never really been a reason to buy or not to buy a sports car.

The funny thing is an invention could come along in 10 years time which revolutionises travel and EVs could well just disappear. Who knows. We all assume the future of road travel in our lifetime will be a car with a different power unit...