BMW 535d or Audi A6 3.0 tdi Le Mans

Jay Kay

Externally, definitely. Much more so than BMWs or Audis, although I do still have a soft spot for even the most basic E92. Well, and the E63 obviously ;)

Where Subaru and Ford fall over is the interiors. They're utterly horrendous, cheap nasty plastic things. Acceptable sure, but incredibly poor quality.

• Like 1

An impreza or focus st have style?

Yes. You know an ST or RS or Imprezza when ones behind you.

An M3 could be a 316, 318, 320, 520, 118. They're all made to a formula. Vanilla.

Same with Audi. Just dull.

I know where you're coming from. Don't agree 100% though. Have a look at a fiesta/focus st nose on, kinda the same don't you think!

Yeah you can spot an Impreza from 100 yards away but in the last ten years that more to do with how awful they look. Just my opinion of course.

Dont agree? Think hes talking rubbish personally. I hire a lot of cars and theres a reason that they tend to be BMW, Audi or Mercedes rather than Subaru or Mazda - heres a clue, its not the performance.

Imprezas look like ass inside and out (if thats style than Ill happily be unstylish) and while the Mazda is a damn fine car its nowhere near the quality of ze Germans or Jaguar.

ETA: "Style" and "looking different" are two very, very different things or we would all be driving Ssanyongs .......

Edited by docwra

Just on the subject of torque steer, I drove my mates new st-3 in bone dry conditions, shocking torque steer. The car wants to fight you all the way until about 50mph... not enjoyable. The seats are probably one of nicest I have sat on tbh, really hug you however, if you were a little more beefy I don't actually know how you would get into them :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

A teeny bit more than your asking price, but I've got a 125d and they have a great mix of reliability, economy and performance. Standard they're 215hp, I remapped mine to 270ish and 550nm and it's now pretty dam fast! Still getting 50+ mpg, 4 doors like you're after and the n47 block is pretty bullet proof. I've had an egr gone, and few electrical issues (like all bimmers) in 50k miles.

You arent allowed to suggest any BMW as someone will be along to tell you "they are all the same" and "how can you find it in a carpark" :lol:

But yeah, Ive got a 135i, my brother a 123d and the old man a 118d, we were all looking for something practical, smart looking and well built that can be a bit of fun in the twisty bits which seems to be what the OP is after too ........ they are defintiely better drivers cars than Audis or Mercs, as are the E9* 3 series :)

• Like 1

Why is it that when children are on the way, parents to be hit the panic button and decide they need something with 24 doors and the size of the Jahre Viking to accommodate this tiny lifeform.

Get yourself a sprog (or two) and your soon find out :D

Edited by gangzoom

Nothing to do with hitting a panic button at all. When I bought the Zed I had a two year old daughter and it was my third car. I bought it as a toy knowing I would rarely use it but hoped I would find a little time for it. That simply didn't happen so a month before it needed tax and insurance I made the call whether to pay those two bills again or move it on and spend the money elsewhere. If I could find something almost as much fun as the Zed but capable of shifting family around every now, including the new baby, then I would use it loads more.

I'm now rethinking what to buy and have gone against my initial feeling and am thinking about an evo. Probably won't happen but I'm getting bored of looking at dull German cars

I've got a E90 330d and i can't fault it. Nice ride, good economy (usually averages about 45mpg+ on a 30 min run) and a good power delivery. It's not a bad place to be inside either. yeah, it's grey black and silver inside but it's comfortable and cleverly thought out. I've never thought about another car for my daily since driving it 2 years ago.

If I could find something almost as much fun as the Zed but capable of shifting family around every now, including the new baby, then I would use it loads more.

............ I'm getting bored of looking at dull German cars

Stop looking at the dull ones then, an M3 is just as much fun as a Z3* and will shift a family around with ease. So will a C63, M135i, S5, A45, even a Golf GTi.