Stood / mothballed for 11 months, lacking power on start up

Bockaaarck

Ok guys, I'm ashamed to admit this. Today, for the first time in 10 - 11 months I started my Zed. Now I had to jump start it, and she fired up without any problems.

However; what I did find is there was really no power in the engine. I was hoping to take her for a 30 - 60 minute run. But when reversing out of the garage, over a slight lip, I was closing to stalling. Despite applying throttle, I was barely getting over 12-1500 revs.

So I decided to pop her back in the garage. So ok, she's been stood for a long time. She is brimmed with fuel, I left the ha brake off, so no brake binding / snatching issues. Just no power at all.

She is due for a full shakedown service tomorrow as well as clutch master cylinder replacement. Think I'll have to get it towed to the garage. But any thoughts around the lack of power, gratefully received.

Old fuel perhaps?

Well to be honest Bullet, I did wonder if that was it. I know unleaded fuel, ermm, loses its det properties, (for lack of a better phrase) over time more than 4 star ever did. . May just be the old fuel as you say

Edited by Bockaaarck

Not having a go at you but just wondering why you hadn't started the car in pretty much the best part of a year?! :shrug:

Best thing would be to get the old fuel out if you can or brim it to the top with fresh Shell Vpower SU fuel and try to start again.

Not having a go at you but just wondering why you hadn't started the car in pretty much the best part of a year?! :shrug:

Best thing would be to get the old fuel out if you can or brim it to the top with fresh Shell Vpower SU fuel and try to start again.

To be honest GM, other pressures / stresses have meant I just haven't been running it. Both work and family life have meant it's just been sat. A month rolls in to three, rolls in to six etc. It's just not been a priority..

Despite having the Zed, the Audi (now gone) and the C55. I've been scooting around in my Seat most of the time

• Like 1

Good to see you on the forum Struan, was asking about you at the Taunton meet funny enough. Hope you are well though mate?

Car wise not sure dude, sorry!

Hey old friend, last year or so has been difficult/ challenging to be honest. But there we go, such is life. Hope you guys are fit and well :)

It won't be the fuel, or at least it's highly unlikely to be. You might notice stale fuel by knocking at high revs, but pootling out of the garage in reverse? Very doubtful.

My guess would be an air leak post-MAF, so the car isn't reading the amount of air actually entering the throttle body. Pop the deck and give everything a real good wiggle, see if anything has dried out or come loose.

• Like 1

Good to see you on the forum Struan, was asking about you at the Taunton meet funny enough. Hope you are well though mate?

Car wise not sure dude, sorry!

Hey old friend, last year or so has been difficult/ challenging to be honest. But there we go, such is life. Hope you guys are fit and well :)

Sorry to hear that Struan, hope things start going the right way for you. Would be good to catch up, so when the next meet is on in your neck of the woods I will bumble along :)

Could it have been the flat battery triggering some sort of "limp home mode"? Which might clear if you run it for a few minutes?

I was impressed by the clever (?) way the engine management reacts to overheating (ie. I am told it retards the ignition by more and more until it basically wont run, then when it cools it has to "learn" that everything is all right and it initially runs terribly until it has had a couple of minutes to figure it out and re-advance the ignition)

• Like 1

Could it have been the flat battery triggering some sort of "limp home mode"? Which might clear if you run it for a few minutes?

I was impressed by the clever (?) way the engine management reacts to overheating (ie. I am told it retards the ignition by more and more until it basically wont run, then when it cools it has to "learn" that everything is all right and it initially runs terribly until it has had a couple of minutes to figure it out and re-advance the ignition)

Well you could be right, managed to get her started up again this morning. Same issue, would only rev up to 11-1200 rpm. Battery was just not holding charge, even after 30 mins of charging. Eventually got her loaded on to a recovery truck and taken to a decent local Nissan garage.

She's due for some care and attention, needs a damn good service and will probably need the clutch master / slave cylinder doing. I was wondering whether there was a potential MAF or throttle body issue to?

Ah well, she's being looked after at the moment. So we'll see what happens over the next day or so as the garage feedback.

They will probably say buy a 370Z :lol:

Well you could be right, managed to get her started up again this morning. Same issue, would only rev up to 11-1200 rpm. Battery was just not holding charge, even after 30 mins of charging. Eventually got her loaded on to a recovery truck and taken to a decent local Nissan garage.

She's due for some care and attention, needs a damn good service and will probably need the clutch master / slave cylinder doing. I was wondering whether there was a potential MAF or throttle body issue to?

Ah well, she's being looked after at the moment. So we'll see what happens over the next day or so as the garage feedback.

They will probably say buy a 370Z :lol:

Hope it's nothing too costly. Good luck. :thumbs: