Interior Wrap

Conlonl

Dipping is better for interior. Much neater as it's seamless.

Dipping would look so much better! :thumbs:

The other draw back of interior wrap is that because the interior heats up so much the wrap moves and comes off.

Another benefit of dipping over wrapping is that it is much harder wearing & less likely to get marked.

Have a look at the thread below Luke from when I had my interior dipped. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86048-hydro-dipped-interior-parts-door-pulls-grab-handle/

It's a very popular option and lots of other members have also gone this route. Another benefit is the multitude of choices available, ...everything from carbon fibre to flames to chequered plate & more. B)

Two Professional traders on here that will be able to tell you more & quote you for any work. ;)

Eve@AquaGraphix: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/227-aquagraphix/

Ricey@revolveautomotive: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/220-revolve-automotive-ltd/

• Like 2

The only advantage of wrapping is cost, if you are a handy kind of person, a £10 roll of carbon wrap will sort out most parts on the interior. Dipping will run into three figures but look better.

Or if you want to go a little crazy order some real carbon fibre sheets, all the glues and resins and wrap it in real carbon fibre B) looks much better than dipping. Takes time and skills though!

Hi Guys, thanks for all of your replies, couple of follow up questions and answers, veilside z...im thinking about doing some parts in alcantara and some parts in carbon fibre, so its going to be part and part, i also need to do the door cards as they look tired, can these also be dipped?

how easy are the dials to take off? the metal look parts around the gear stick and oil temp dials im looking to spray orange this weekend to go with my black and orange interior...are there any guides to dismantle these?

Thanks

Luke

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious about the dipping...moons ago the dipped "carbon fibre" simply looked like grey/black checkered...does it actually look like carbon fibre nowadays with the individual thread pattern (if you know what i mean)...

I dont want to go down the dipping route and it look naff...carbon skinning is also an option but obviously it severely increases the thickness of the panel which can be a PITA when it comes to refitting

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the dipping...moons ago the dipped "carbon fibre" simply looked like grey/black checkered...does it actually look like carbon fibre nowadays with the individual thread pattern (if you know what i mean)...

I dont want to go down the dipping route and it look naff...carbon skinning is also an option but obviously it severely increases the thickness of the panel which can be a PITA when it comes to refitting

There's about 50 different films and some are pretty nasty.

This is MCarbon which is as close to OEM as I've seen. You can choose the undercoat to suit your coding requirements as well

Personally I'd rather chop my self in half than try to dip a door card because of all of the nobbles. Devils own job to sand all that flat.

a42ebe4dc6d4e6e7a7f2d9b92743e295.jpg28b43952407809e26cfbfb76e7145624.jpg4444c9c0c6d9c0693754fb6ef8faca13.jpgb2546be7dc72198703346871383927e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That doesnt actually look too bad from what i can tell!

See how the weave curves off in the recess on the blue piece?

That's the biggest issue with carbon. It goes where the water wants to take it so some little bits like that will curve away.

Crap dippers will have it like a dogs hind leg all over the place

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Check out our FB page www.facebook.com/aquagraphixuk. I just posted up some pics of some red candy 350z parts. Looking awesome. Hes a member on here so im sure soon enough he will have a thread going

He's one step ahead of you Eve. :D

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/110981-350z-centre-console-dipped/

Great work. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, first post! I thought I'd put my oar in here, as someone who doesn't even change their own oil, I decided that wrapping was something that I could do. I was right. I bought 20 quids worth of brushed aluminium vinyl, stole my wife's high power hairdryer and got to work. About 24 hours later, I had wrapped all the trim pieces of my e92 335i. The trick is heat and simply patience. Work in a warm environment, so the temperature of the vinyl doesn't drop too fast. If you have one of those little blower heaters, use it to bring a room to about 40*C then get going. Yes, you will sweat, and the room will get warmer as you use the hair dryer, but that's what we want. Sweat, man, SWEAT! Use the hair dryer to heat the stuff up a a lot, don't be shy, you will burn the tips of your fingers (unavoidable) a few times, but not too bad, that's why we're using a hairdryer and not a real heat gun (though of course that is an option, but then I'd probably wear gloves, which would definitely hinder the manual dexterity required to form the vinyl, so it's swings and roundabouts really.

I live in Greece for the last 14 years, and I park my car outside when I'm at work. That BMW (black) sat in the BAKING greek sun every day over the summer of 2015. I would frequently get in the car to read 50*c on the gauge, couldn't sit on the leather, etc. Nothing peeled due to that heat, and shouldn't if you did it properly. I also dipped the ashtray covers front and rear, and can tell you right now, that vinyl is the far better option than dipping. It's FAR more difficult to get a consistent finish with dip than it is with a vinyl wrap. No doubt dipping is a lot quicker though.

By the way guys, that BMW was stolen (I cried, like a baby), and I went back to my JDM roots (I've been a Honda guy for many years) and just bought myself a Z (hence my registration here! :)) which needs a lot of love, which it is now receiving (but that is another thread). :)

Edited by Aashenfox

After watching a pro in action (zippypooz on here) its amazing how little heat you actually need. I made the same mistake over using the hair dryer but really it needs a quick flash of heat then work and manipulate the material - I found the more you reheat and it cools down, the less adhesive and easy to manipulate the material became. After watching Zip in action I set about wrapping some panels in my engine bay, used hardly any heat and it was much easier.

Good to know. I think the extra heat allows the amateur to have an easier time of it, but if you're a pro, no doubt you can get away with using much less. I also noticed that it was easy to make the gum go off if you made it too hot for too long. Next time I'll try with less heat and report back (I will definitely be doing the Z as well, very soon).

Can I add a teeny tiny but important warning......the temptation is to rest the heat gun in your lap if your sat down wrapping.

Don't. I've got more scars from my attempts at wrapping than I have from doing spanner work!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk