OEM Windscreen replacement - The insurer won't cover all costs

arif_manji

Hi all,

I recently got a stone chip on my windscreen which caused a slight crack. I got on to autoglass and requested an OE screen. They said the insurer wont cover the cost as I am requesting a OE windscreen.

After having a rant with the insurer, they said they will only pay £500 - £75 excess for the windscreen but means I have to pay the extra which is £270 + the cost for labour. The OE windscreen from Nissan is £770 inc VAT.

Does anyone know how much Nissan would charge for something like this or what's the best thing to do? My insurer is Priviledge.

Cheers

Edited by arif_manji

This is what makes you laugh with insurance. When you put non OE parts on your car your supposed to declare them and this puts up your premium but when the boot is on the other foot they dont want to pay out for OE parts. Oh the irony.

• Like 2

Whats your policy wording surrounding windscreen replacement, does it mention values, excess etc and where you must take it? If it doesnt you could take it up with the insurance ombudsman, if it does however mention totals you can claim and you specifically want nissan, I am afraid you will have to pay the additional costs.

Yeah, I've had the windscreen replaced on my Zed 3 times due to stones... and I think that the cost Nissan would charge over here will be so much more than in the UK. Fortunately, I have to go down to the stealership to pick her up later this afternoon hopefully. Some bodywork and paint being done due to some ***** being an idiot on the motorway! Can't wait to have her back!

Of more concern for me is the quality of the workmanship and ensuring the sensors are properly calibrated and work as OEM. Maybe the latter is not an issue for the 350's but is an increasing factor in the new cars being sold nowadays.

But yes, the irony of insurance companies often charging extra for non OEM parts when we fit them but are not prepared to pay out for OEM when it suits them is a definite 'heads we win, tails you lose' scenario. :dry:

Thanks for the advice guys, the insurance company have done me a good deal so ill be just paying £100 towards it and they will fork out the rest. My excess is £75 anyway, so £25 extra to get an OEM screen is perfect. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...