Windscreen chip - Fix or Replace?

addario

Gents (and ladies),

So I'm driving today and there are 20 MPH signs for loose gravel and the dude in front of me nails it and bang, there goes the windscreen :(

I'm super meticulous about the car and I can't bare to live with that chip right bang in the middle of the screen so it has to go somehow... And that's the question for you guys...

Should I get it fixed or replaced? It's only a small chip but it would do my head in if the "fix" was still visible afterwards so I'm leaning towards the replacement.

Would replacing the screen affect the car value negatively? I'm pretty sure AutoGlass will use a third party part so god knows if the fit will be perfect... not to mention the actual competency of the person doing the work... nightmare to think this might end up a botch job :(

Anyways? What do you guys think? Fix (and surely have a mark where it was) or replace and risk more of a mess?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

I'd just replace it if it were me. £75 is nothing really, the 350Z is easy to replace the screen on, I'd just go with it.

It won't have any kind of affect on the value at all, if anything I'd prefer a car with a new screen than one with a chip in it :lol:

• Like 1

You could always try to repair it yourself as I did with my own....

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108635-how-to-windscreen-glass-chip-repair/#entry1627742

If you're still not happy with it afterwards, then look at getting it replaced professionally.

As Dan said I can't see it negatively affecting the value of the car in the event of a future sale. I'd see it as a positive providing it doesn't leak. :teeth:;)

I've had a few screens replaced in my time due to stone chips. Every time I've been amazed at how much clearer the new screen is; old screens (ten years of driving etc) have lots of much smaller chips that aren't so noticeable until you've replaced it.

Repairs are a bit rubbish as they often leave a mark that, as you've mentioned, would be really annoying. Plus there's the benefit of a new screen as I've mentioned, and as Ekona and GMballistic have said; a new windscreen is seen as a positive selling point.

Had the windscreen replaced in mine recently; i'd happily pay the £70 excess again to get a new one if it became stone chipped in the future.

I heard awhile ago to avoid changing the windscreen (not specific to the 350Z) as normally the replacement screen is never quite the same. Things must have moved on, I may look into replacing mine n the future as there are a couple of chips that couldn't be repaired fully by Autoglass.

Had my windscreen replaced on my m3 before I sold....couldn't have asked for a better job and the new screen was better then the one they replaced (sun strip).

I'd get it replaced and not even worry about it.

Same issue here, going to get mine completely replaced. The roads around here have been getting resurfaced and it's becoming difficult to avoid them, causing a stone ship on my windscreen :(. Really tiny, but it really bothers me.

My brother-in-law got his replaced, then a week later he was driving along and it got chipped again, so I think I'll wait a little while first.

Chips irritate me so I'd replace it myself. Either way I wouldn't bother doing anything yourself - it's only going to be max £25 to get a chip repaired, so what's the point?

The point is £25 is still £25. :teeth:

A windscreen repair kit can be bought for less than £5 plus you get the satisfaction of doing something yourself.

Also some people may want to try repairs themselves if they're selling the car and don't really want to spend money on a professional job or claim via insurance.

Just saying. ;)

Same issue here, going to get mine completely replaced. The roads around here have been getting resurfaced and it's becoming difficult to avoid them, causing a stone ship on my windscreen :(. Really tiny, but it really bothers me.

My brother-in-law got his replaced, then a week later he was driving along and it got chipped again, so I think I'll wait a little while first.

That is "Sods Law" in full effect there. :dry::rant::thumbdown::lol:

• Like 1

It'll 'return' at some point lol I had mine replaced.... then that one a week later developed a defect...replaced free, no big deal. Week later...*ping!*, couple of tiny tiny scuffs at the top... I left them. Your always gonna get something lol