Smoke from under bonnet

DarmoZ

It could be liquid on the engine just evaporating, I had it on my campervan the other week and it freaked me and a mate out. When we stopped and looked everything was ok under the bonnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh ok fair enough....it's just odd because we have never seen it before, I'll tell her to keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse :)

Ahh ok good to know that, I just asked her, but she said she hadn't use the washers that morning. Reading online mentions under bonnet white smoke could be brake fluid or other hydraulic fluids ?

Opening the bonnet would be my first step !

Yeh she swung by in the morning all worried lol, opened bonnet up and no visible smoke / steam etc, but coolant was low so i topped it up and she went on her way to work, which is when she took the video.

I did get an advisory on recent service for Exhaust manifold torn / leaking, so could be that. And in the past iv'e had to change the water pump as coolant was going down faster than i could top it up.

Gonna take it back to the same place that did the service to have an inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, thought I would update the thread since the issue is now resolved.

So I diagnosed by letting it idle one night, after about 15 mins the steam started to appear again. Turns out the coolant was boiling in the reservoir, and a couple small holes / crack in the reservoir tank was letting the steam out.

Mechanic replaced the reservoir tank and got the fan working again (apparently the fan stopped due to the loss of pressure in the coolant system) it was a cheap and quick fix tbh.

Funny thing is the temp gauge never rose past half way all this time....go figure.

Edited by DarmoZ
  • Like 2