Moscow & St Petersberg help

glrnet

Off to the above in Sept, got it pretty much tied down, 4 nights in each city but would appreciate any first hand info regarding wah at not to miss and what to avoid, thanks G.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Off to the above in Sept, got it pretty much tied down, 4 nights in each city but would appreciate any first hand info regarding what not to miss and what to avoid, thanks G.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Vodka?

Not your usual tipple :lol:

Bit bizarre in red square having the Kremlin one side and Starbucks the other! There is a big street racing thing in Moscow (was on a work visit and company owner took me out in her modified Infinity!) vodka with beer is normal and vodka is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I spent 6months over in St Petersburg and also some time in Moscow. St. Petersburg is the better city, it's older and has more character. The winter palace is a must to visit, and all the cathedrals are stunning, so id recommend to see as many as possible. Shame you'll miss the white nights, they are between June and July.

What to avoid, the underground is deep, really deep! Try to avoid it at rush hour if possible, it gets very busy and hot.

Other than that, enjoy- you'll have a great time.

Its St. PetersbUrg :)

My home city and very beautiful city and unfortunately 4 days won't be enough to see even a fraction of it.

Firstly I would recommend visiting "Petergof". It's located just outside of the city on the coast of Gulf of Finland. If weather is nice, its a great place to spend whole day. Loads of old buildings to see along with gorgeous parks and loads of fountains. You can get there by car/coach or on a boat from city.

Petergof_Grand_Cascade_IMG_6866_1280_zpsgdncwwsq.jpg

There are loads of museums and art galleries. Hermitage is world famous and one of the beautiful museums around. And its massive. I think they said if you want to stop at each picture or other thing for 5 secs, you will need like 2 weeks to look at it all :lol:

BP4-LEDP2-Shutterstock-Making-your-way-around-the-Hermitage-Museum-is-a-breeze-with-our-beginners-guide_zpsxtpsqt2u.jpg

Since city is build on river Neva, there are hundreds of bridges there. At night they open large bridges so big ships can pass. It's quite spectacular and very popular thing to watch. So that's something to do at night, as well as loads of restaurants to eat. There are few very nice roof top restaurants that have amazing views.

st-petersburg_bridges_opening_zps3i7ls2wc.jpg

City center is very nice, especially at night when all lights are on and there are plenty of things to see close buy as well. One of them is "Spas Na Krovi" (The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood). Gorgeous place.

93441258_zpste6p7i7f.jpg

Nevsky_Prospect_St._Petersburg_Russia_zpsp1vfkwlw.jpg

River boat trips are very good as well, so i would recommend that as well.

What dates are you going? As I'm going there in September as well for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Hi, I spent 6months over in St Petersburg and also some time in Moscow. St. Petersburg is the better city, it's older and has more character. The winter palace is a must to visit, and all the cathedrals are stunning, so id recommend to see as many as possible. Shame you'll miss the white nights, they are between June and July.

What to avoid, the underground is deep, really deep! Try to avoid it at rush hour if possible, it gets very busy and hot.

Other than that, enjoy- you'll have a great time.

+1 on that.

Winter Palace is gorgeous! Another one for the list.

I was gonna suggest underground, but its usually quite busy. It is very deep, as it goes under the river.

Saying that, underground is another master piece with some very old stations, made out of marble with massive chandeliers etc.

But, I guess as in any busy city, be aware of pickpockets.

• Like 1

Avoid being gay. They don't like it up 'em.

They're fine with steroids though.

Well done, you can watch TV and media.

Nobody gives a flying f*#k if you're gay or whatever. Media makes it out so bad that its unreal.

I remember that documentary with Reggie Yates about being gay in Russia - what a load of bulls**t that was. Same as "being black in Russia"... they literally filmed couple of nationalist groups/protests and made it look like that stuff is going on all the time and everywhere.

I lived there for 16 years and go back there every year and never seen any bad or aggressive reaction towards gay or black people.

I was in Moscow very briefly and it's not a city I would recommend people travel too. There are no signs on the Underground, so you have to guess which stop you want to get off at, all maps that I seen are in cyrillic script, which is their alphabet, fine, but what about tourists?

Red Square and the fountains and parks around it are beautiful, however, and everyone seemed friendly, but possibly a little too friendly, if you know what I mean, but that seems to be the norm in high tourist traffic areas, nowadays.

I found it difficult to communicate with most people, as anyone over 30 doesn't speak any english and those who do, charge 50% extra in their store/bar/restaurant for the privilege :lol:

All in all, it's ok for a stop over, half day to go and see Red Square, then move on somewhere else. I hear St Petersberg is a much much nicer place to be.