Going Topless - Anyone Really Loved A Convertible?

Stutopia

Roadsters all the way for me.

Got a few roadtrip a planned this year and going topless makes them so much more fun.

Have been thinking about selling the car recently but the Suns been out and I've had some fun in the twisties nearby over the weekend with the exhaust singing and there's nothing like it. I don't think I could give the convertible up.

• Like 1

Got a few roadtrip a planned this year and going topless makes them so much more fun.

Have been thinking about selling the car recently but the Suns been out and I've had some fun in the twisties nearby over the weekend with the exhaust singing and there's nothing like it. I don't think I could give the convertible up.

It was the Calendar picture of your '70 that got me thinking this way in the bleak midwinter.

• Like 1

It was the Calendar picture of your '70 that got me thinking this way in the bleak midwinter.

Shall have to take you out for a spin in it sometime

I've had a couple, an Austin Healey Sprite and a Triumph Spitfire back in the 70's. This was in the days when you had to take the roof down manually and secure it with the tonneau cover which for some reason was an optional extra. If not secured the hood could flap about, go figure. The problem with these 2 convertibles was the lack of any wind deflector at the rear so it could get pretty windy at speeds over 60. Then I had a Fiat X1/9 which had a Targa top that you stowed away, usually with great difficulty. Caroline had a Targa top MR2 that was really great, you didn't get buffeted as much by the wind as earler convertibles. The Zed roadster is also a fairly calm place to be in as long as you keep the windows up, even at 70.

Pete

Have to say I have never been a fan of convertibles or ever wanted one. That was until the wife got a 206CC many years back. Whilst very much a girlie car, it was incredible fun driving around with the roof down. That was why when I got my zed I got the zed roadster.

As for those people who say, well you can only have the roof down twice a year in the UK, I actually pretty much had the roof down every time I drove it unless it was tipping it down. Even when it was freezing weather - you just stick the blowers on hot and you drive along in a nice bubble of warm air. Was amazing. Only thing I didnt like was in summer when you were driving around and you could smell everyones BBQ`s.... used to make my tummy rumble! :lol:

• Like 3

Had a 350z Roadster and loved it.

Elise/VX220 etc are lovely but you need a shoe horn to get in and out of one!

Open door, face away from the car, bend over...

...drop in bum first

Swing in left leg, followed by right

Job done!

Its trusting your backside travels in the direction you want it to that's the trick ;):lol:

Could be just me, but I think there's a stigma against Roadster/Convertible drivers in the UK.

I've driven in the US and UK with drop tops and no problem in the US. In the UK, as soon as you drop the roof, people seems to become hostile to it. For instance. Roof up, getting out of the busy work junction - not so bad. Roof down, almost impossible. Same with any busy junction I've found.

Odd country the UK.

Could be just me, but I think there's a stigma against Roadster/Convertible drivers in the UK.

I've driven in the US and UK with drop tops and no problem in the US. In the UK, as soon as you drop the roof, people seems to become hostile to it. For instance. Roof up, getting out of the busy work junction - not so bad. Roof down, almost impossible. Same with any busy junction I've found.

Odd country the UK.

I find completely the opposite - roof down, pleasant smile and more direct contact and people let me out far more. Also involved in far more conversations with people outside the car as i am pootling along in slow traffic or at a junction.

And the noise :teeth: Has anyone mentioned the noise yet? :p My Zed with K+N HFC's and half-decent stainless full system makes an awesome sound ............... and without all that tin you can actually hear it, it's amazing :D

• Like 1

And the noise :teeth: Has anyone mentioned the noise yet? :p My Zed with K+N HFC's and half-decent stainless full system makes an awesome sound ............... and without all that tin you can actually hear it, it's amazing :D

Aye, a huge difference. It makes me sad for the coupe drivers who listen to their thousand pound exhaust systems through metal ear muffs :D

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 1

Aye, a huge difference. It makes me sad for the coupe drivers who listen to their thousand pound exhaust systems through metal ear muffs :D

The coupe does have opening windows you know :lol:

• Like 1

Try leaving your hatch open and 'give it some' it's a lot different than just having the windows down :D

• Like 1

It doesn't even come close Stu. You really need to drive a roadster to see what we mean.

It's the difference between listening to an ipod on it's own speaker, and plugging an ipod into a Denon surround sound system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stu

I went for the G37 (Q60) as I loved my Zed, there's no way I'd go back to a normal coupe, there are times when you really just need to take the lid off

You're only in Blackpool and I'm in Manchester, we could meet if you wanted to have a closer look

Infiniti%20on%20stock%20wheels%20but%20V%20dirty_zpse6ertaft.jpg

• Like 1