Help! Noob needs advice!

thomt93

HI guys,

I don't actually own a 350z yet but i really want one. Ive been eyeing them up since i was about 15 years old (currently 22) and now insurance doesn't cost the price of my arm im in a position to buy one!

I have a few questions though and most of them stem from my budget so i'd be really greatful if someone could help me out :)

I have a budget of about £5000 - £6000 (i could go up but really not wanting to go crazy and i don't want to finance as i like to play!)

Most of the cars in this budget are around 50 - 80k+ miles. What are these cars like of this age? everyone would be different i mean but generally are there any BAD wear and tear that could be expensive to fix

Was there a bad year or anything? i know the car i currently own had alot of recall warnings one year for the handbrake

Is there any dodgy other things i should look out for relating to these cars?

I have a pretty good knowledge of cars myself and i do a lot of detailing so i know most of the nooks and crannies in cars also i would be bringing an experienced mechanic from my family for any viewings.

Thanks in advance! :)

( currently own a honda civic Type s GT with mint body work and lots of extras )

Sounds like you're in a similar position to me last year (I'm only 21 too) :thumbs:

There's a great buyers guide here to get you started

http://www.350z-uk.c...6-buyers-guide/

As well as an absolute tonne of other info if you search around a bit

Your budget should get you a decent DE (03-05) which will also fall under the cheaper tax bracket (and possibly insurance) giving you more to "play with"

Mileage isn't really an issue on these, if looked after they will run and run and run... As with "most" cars go on the condition and evidence of good servicing as opposed to the number on the dial.

Just as a guideline, I spent a good 5 months looking around for one, they do come up quite often but it's worth biding your time, trying a few and waiting for the right one.. If possible it's worth jumping in one to try out (or see if anyone on here is local to you and may be willing to give you a look around so you know what a healthy one looks/sounds like)

I started with a budget the same as yours, and managed to find myself one with a super service history, previous owner was a great guy who clearly loved the car and kept it in great shape and (as a bonus) only 55k on the clock. GT spec etc for £6k So maybe use this as a bench mark?

All in all though welcome to the forum buddy! And I assure you 100% won't regret getting a zed!

Hope this helps and Good luck with the hunt! :)

(oh and the only "expensive" fix to be weary of would be the clutch (give or take) - not a big issue but worth baring in mind when you go and look at one and take it into account in your budget accordingly)

Edited by Gus-350z
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum buddy not much advice from me as only owned mine for a few weeks. Although I would agree with ZEUS don't worry too much about the mileage it's all about the condition. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My Z has 101000 miles on it and is still as strong as it was 50000 miles ago when I bought it! Like the other guys say, take your time and wait for the right one to come.

The guys on this forum are all willing to help, whatever you might need :-)

Welcome to the forum, hope you find the Z you want soon

• Like 1

Hi welcome to the forum, I'm 22 and had my Zed for 2 years now going onto the 3rd next month. I would say don't worry about mileage as they're reliable mines never gone down on me yet. I have a 2005 DE I would probably say check through the servicing and see when the compression arms where changed as if your buying higher mileage these should probably be budgeted in. Make sure oil has been done regularly and all that sort of stuff. Check the exhaust as it's an old car you wouldn't want to buy one that's on its way out (unless you plan on changing all that like I did) if I would of done anything different I probably would of bought from a forum member now but I bought from a dealer on here anyway so pretty close. Good luck Zed hunting :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and like the guys have been saying above, mileage isn't as big as a factor as the condition and service history of the car. I bought mine in September last year and had seen a few lower mileage that weren't in great condition and 'part service history' decided against them and got mine which was slightly higher mileage but she still pulls like a train!

• Like 1

I avoided the RevUp model because of the potential oil burning issue. That would have been just my luck. Just something to ask about anyway if you look at one of those.

Is that an actual model in the sense: will it show up on a number plate check? That's really good advice though thanks.

If you're looking at early HR models, make sure you look under the bonnet as there was a fair amount of overlap with late registered DEs. The HR bonnet also fits straight on to the DE so you can't rely on the bonnet bulge to know what car you're buying. There are a few traders who have sold people the 'wrong' car by not knowing this basic stuff.

Lift the bonnet - if it's got two air intakes and the oil dipstick is front-and-centre on the engine, it's a HR. If there's only one air intake and an awkward dipstick, it's a DE / RevUP.

Gearbox on the HR is better and it has a higher rev limit compared to the earlier models.

• Like 1

If you're looking at early HR models, make sure you look under the bonnet as there was a fair amount of overlap with late registered DEs. The HR bonnet also fits straight on to the DE so you can't rely on the bonnet bulge to know what car you're buying. There are a few traders who have sold people the 'wrong' car by not knowing this basic stuff.

Lift the bonnet - if it's got two air intakes and the oil dipstick is front-and-centre on the engine, it's a HR. If there's only one air intake and an awkward dipstick, it's a DE / RevUP.

Gearbox on the HR is better and it has a higher rev limit compared to the earlier models.

That's really good to know thank you!

I avoided the RevUp model because of the potential oil burning issue. That would have been just my luck. Just something to ask about anyway if you look at one of those.

Is that an actual model in the sense: will it show up on a number plate check? That's really good advice though thanks.

Yes; 3 engine variants (excluding special editions)

2003-2005 DE (276bhp)

2006-2007 DE RevUp (300bhp Facelift)

2007-2009 HR (313bhp Facelift + bonnet bulge)

Don't know about number plate checks, perhaps it'll show bhp then you'll know which model. The standard DE will be the lower tax band 273g/km. Be guided by the photos, as a general rule the DE will be pre-facelift so orange strip on headlights, slightly rounder front bumper. DE RevUp will be facelift version - bigger headlight projectors, LED rear lights, different centre console. And HR will be same as DE RevUp but a bonnet bulge and two air filters.

The main things I read about before looking where:

DE - some have a notchy gearbox

DE RevUp - some are oil guzzlers

HR - some higher mileage have oil leak from a rear gasket

If you buy a RevUp off someone on here you'd hope they'd tell you if it's an oil burner ! Else I don't know how you could check before buying.

Anyway, there's many sticky posts on the forum with what to look out for when buying... have a browse, I learnt a lot!

• 2 weeks later...