Interesting for any parents out there

coldel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36277940

Personally I agree, its a bit of a farce giving out fines illegally. I wonder how many of the fines would have to be paid back in theory? Given my son is off to school in September (and even more of a joke, 5 weeks of half days to let him get used to it - again farcical) I have no plans to be crowding into over priced resorts, we will be going in term time.

• Like 2

What it seems to ignore is also the needs of the parent, I need a holiday also sometimes, and not always in half term when school decide.

Just seems too draconian, I took holidays when at school in term time, I worked out ok.

Interesting one really. As a kid my parents only ever took holidays during school holidays. I think as a kid id be too worried about what school work ive missed out on over that week or 2 weeks off and all that extra home work afterwards to catch up.

Still, thinking about it, kids have a week off sick, go back and manage to catch up okay.

I used to be a Chair of Governors at a local school . I dont agree in fining parents, schools expect a lot of goodwill from parents throughout the year and I always felt that if you do fine parents then you can potentially lose that

But school is important , children with poor attendance dont do as well in exams thats a fact, most parents value a decent education above a cheap holiday, for those that dont then fining them will have no effect

Lets not forget that teachers always need to take holidays at the worst times.

If your kid is thick then you don't have the right to take them out in term time, they need all the help they can get. If they're doing well and are capable of catching up then I say go for it.

I don't see a problem with the fines in principle - I'd imagine they were introduced because some parents aren't responsible enough to ensure that their children have good attendance records, and a financial penalty is the only way to make them think twice. I think it's a reasonable compromise to stop parents taking the ****.

If your kid is thick then you don't have the right to take them out in term time, they need all the help they can get. If they're doing well and are capable of catching up then I say go for it.

So only fine the parents if the kid is a waster? :lol:

• Like 1

What it seems to ignore is also the needs of the parent, I need a holiday also sometimes, and not always in half term when school decide.

Just seems too draconian, I took holidays when at school in term time, I worked out ok.

Says you :lol::p:scare:

• Like 1

So only fine the parents if the kid is a waster? :lol:

Yeah, basically. Put the effort in and thou shalt be rewarded, and all that.

Seems the fairest way.

who should be the judge of that ?

how about extending the summer term by one week, and making the official summer holidays 5 weeks instead of 6, but then allow both teachers and children 1 week's holiday to be taken at some point during the year?

In fairness, nobody does any work the last two weeks of the summer term. either you've just finished exams so everyones in holiday mode anyway, or its the end of the school year and everyone is just counting down the days till summer holidays!

We have a system that students have to get a signature from each of their class teachers, if they are up to date with their work etc they sign it if they aren't they don't. if they haven't got full signatures they have time to catch up with the work to get the teacher to sign it. if they don't get it up to date it then comes down to the heads discretion. other elements play part of this basically if you already have poor attendance you won't get the sheet for signing in the first place.

As long as a students attendance remains above 98% then they are deemed as regular attenders

if it drops below 95% the EWO is brought in.

As a teacher it does mean i am the only person occupational who cannot choose when i take my holiday, i am legally bound to only holiday in non term time. (the most expensive time) if i want time off outside that it is nigh on impossible.

Was actually waiting for Rich to come in on the conversation :thumbs:

The report says that 90% attendance is the threshold, in any case, what if the child breaks their leg, does that mean being at home whilst they recover means they are going to fail? I personally believe application has more impact on capability to pass than some sort of blunt measurement like attendance. Kids can turn up 100% of the time but if they do 'eff all whilst they are there they will fail (hence why teachers can sign off performance as above) and I would be more likely to want to fine parents who do nothing to motivate their children than those that have high performing children who take a week out.

Rebecca went to a school visit recently that I couldnt make and raised this, the headmistress came back very much with 'NO CHILDREN TAKE TIME OFF IN TERM TIME IN MY SCHOOL I WONT HAVE IT', this is a school rated Outstanding by OFSTED. Rebecca described it as the sort of response she would expect from a sergeant major - yes she needs to communicate the message she would not encourage it, but I think there is a high horse she needs to get off, these people you are talking to fund you, and your school, and my desire for my child to do well at your school makes you look good, respect that.

As a teacher it does mean i am the only person occupational who cannot choose when i take my holiday, i am legally bound to only holiday in non term time. (the most expensive time) if i want time off outside that it is nigh on impossible.

Lots of occupations dont get to choose , the military for example

FWIW 90% attendance is 19 days absent from school in one year ! , my son had 2 days off this year , one for sick and one for a funeral

This is a subject which grinds me....... my kids are my kids and I will decide when family holidays are taken. I took both my kids on holidays during school time a few times. I notified the school what was going to happen and the head wrote to me TELLING me I had to ASK for his permission to have a family holiday, aye that will be f@$£ing right. I never took them out anywhere near exam time and it didn't hurt my kids education one bit..... being told I must ask for permission for family time really gets my goat. I just wrote back telling him I won't be asking anybody's permission for time with my kids..... my daughter has just passed her nursing degree and been offered a Staff Nurse position in our top hospital in Edinburgh.

...and having been a teacher for a short time I do bow down to the time and effort they put in. However, I think an appreciation of the real world is required from some of them some times. The school Alfie has been selected for says that he needs to do half days for 5 1/2 weeks whilst every other school does 2 weeks half days for reception - I am going to ask some very tough questions of the school as to why that is when I visit them in a couple of weeks because I find this somewhat farcical. I will also very much challenge Head Miss on the school leave thing, law is not on her side, lets see how much she can bully parents with this news...

who should be the judge of that ?

Teachers, obviously. They already set the levels for the kids, makes sense for them to carry that through.

I'm still largely on the side of the schools here. Unless you feel that there is no reason for the fines to exist (the reason in question being that some parents don't care and will take their children on holiday enough that it has a negative impact), then really the rules have to be simple and easily imposed.

Leaving it up to the discretion of the teachers is questionable. What if a holiday gets signed off because the parents are friends with the head?

Edited by BobbyZ