Help me choose a business car

jonty88

Can I just ask, in case I've missed something, is it going to be a lease or purchase?

BMW seem to do MILES better in the leases compared to Mercedes - Purely based on prices.

They wanted more for a nicely optioned C220d than BMW wanted for a 330D with most of the options.... Mercedes came back around £700 per month, where as the BMW was just over £550 I think.

Do you want maintenance included too? That's about £50 a month, which isn't bad considering it covers you 100%

They wanted more for a nicely optioned C220d than BMW wanted for a 330D with most of the options.... Mercedes came back around £700 per month, where as the BMW was just over £550 I think.

£700 a month!! That's brand new Tesla money (and lots of other £50k+ car).

The 220d engine in the Merc really is horrific for refinement, why buy a 'premium' badge and put up with such an awful noise/vibration. An Insignia diesel is more refined.

Golf R is on deals again, you're looking at approx £180pcm right now.

If its a business car isn't it meant to be sensible? like diesel? or do i misinterpret the situation? why have to hot cars?

i do love the golf R though :blush:

Can I just ask, in case I've missed something, is it going to be a lease or purchase?

BMW seem to do MILES better in the leases compared to Mercedes - Purely based on prices.

Do you want maintenance included too? That's about £50 a month, which isn't bad considering it covers you 100%

It will be a 2 year lease mate. I know what you mean about the C220d, its a great looking car but certainly wont be as much of a refined drive compared to the 3 series. The only issue I have with the 3 series is just the sheer number of them I see every single day. I would like something slightly different although it certainly wont be uncommon like the Z. Most likely wont be going for the maintenance option as I would sooner have the extra £50 a month for other things.

i know you said the XF was out of budget

what about the new XE ? smaller 3 series rival compared to the XF which is 5 series territory. should technically be cheaper?

The XE is affordable but Im not a big fan, its more a retired gent turning up to golf every weeks car if you catch my drift. :lol:

Juts had a look at the Golf R business rates. They would be around my maximum spend for a 5dr model but the mpg on them isnt great. I think ide sooner have the Rocco GT, for a little less money and better fuel economy.

I'm obviously 30 years ahead of my time :blush:

I'm tempted by the XJ need a big boot and those things can hold several dead bodies in the back. so should cope with kids luggage fine :lol:

Haha well its a nice car none the less, my girlfriends Dads is black with black alloys and does look smart. As a 25 year old ide feel a little out of place in it ;)

If you want fuel economy, then just get the cheapest thing you can possibly find. Who cares what it looks like or how it drives, it's a tool to serve a purpose.

If you want something fun to put through the business, then get the most funnest thing you can. After all, why not?!

For me, trying to compromise just leads to a car that does nothing well.

I disagree you can have sensible and fun, or fun and economical

or practical, but a nice place to be.

If i have to spend a lot of time in a vehicle i wouldn't want to be sat in the cheapest interior going just because it does an extra 5mpg, i'd rather sacrifice a little MPG for a nice cockpit.

i'd have both, something nice to drive to work, and something fun for the weekend.

Currently can't afford the weekend toy so i just have to live with practical and nice.

Jonty already has the zed for the weekend, so i suppose it depends on what he prioritises first in the company car. if its MPG then buy cheap and cheerful diesel muncher, if its comfort and cockpit then the germans are possibly going to be the front runners. if its fun and engaging, probably going down the leon route. if boot space and passenger space is key, then saloon and estate will be higher than hatch and supermini.

• Like 1

But if you didn't get the Toureg and got something cheaper, like a Focus estate or whatever, you'd then have the money to get something nice for yourself ;)

I'd have a busted back, only reason for the 4x4 is the height and the boot space, double buggy and all stuff for twins took up a lot of space. the added height has stopped me completely busting my back putting them in and taking out ( I do most of the nursery pickups and drop offs). worth every penny in my books.

for the price of the touareg i'd have ended up with 2 cheap cars that were less reliable than the 1 good car thats been faultless.

Edited by rtbiscuit

i'd have both, something nice to drive to work, and something fun for the weekend.

Currently can't afford the weekend toy so i just have to live with practical and nice.

Jonty already has the zed for the weekend, so i suppose it depends on what he prioritises first in the company car. if its MPG then buy cheap and cheerful diesel muncher, if its comfort and cockpit then the germans are possibly going to be the front runners. if its fun and engaging, probably going down the leon route. if boot space and passenger space is key, then saloon and estate will be higher than hatch and supermini.

Unfortunately the Z will have to go to make way for the company car. What I get for the Z will go in savings for a house deposit with the girlfriend then one day il go back to something fun for either the weekend or as a 2nd car.

Right now ide settle for something with a combined mpg of 40 or more as anything is better than the Z's. Sacrificing performance is something ive got to accept just as long as its not something totally slow. A rocco 2.0 GT has around 46 combined mpg and will do 0-60 in 7.4, that ide be happy enough with. It also starts at around £180 a month inc VAT.

Golf R is blisteringly quick, more practical, and has MPG of 40 on the combined test. I cannot see why you'd go for the Scirocco over that.

Price mate, its £100 more a month with VAT. Also I find Golfs very average looking really, although I must admit the R is nice just expensive for a Golf

If you want fuel economy, then just get the cheapest thing you can possibly find. Who cares what it looks like or how it drives, it's a tool to serve a purpose.

Id have agreed about 10 years ago but the game has moved on - I had a DSG Golf GTI for a mega German trip last year (2800km in a week) and it was great fun, comfy and good looking. I drove it hard, hitting the speed limiter every day and still returned 36mpg, even my stupid 1 series can do over 30mpg if driven gently.

Its like the diesel thing, 15 years ago youd only buy one if you were doing starship mileage but theyve come on so far that its the default choice for most people now.

• Like 1

Price mate, its £100 more a month with VAT. Also I find Golfs very average looking really, although I must admit the R is nice just expensive for a Golf

Hang on, I thought this was a business car? Are you not VAT registered?

Hang on, I thought this was a business car? Are you not VAT registered?

Deal in second hand goods (Antiques) so cant charge our customers VAT therefore not VAT registered. We can still qualify for business cars, we just cant claim the VAT back.